Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   1997 F250 LD Instrument Cluster Swap For One With Tach? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1230229-1997-f250-ld-instrument-cluster-swap-for-one-with-tach.html)

TrdLtly 03-15-2013 12:58 PM

1997 F250 LD Instrument Cluster Swap For One With Tach?

I have a 1997 F250 LD "base" auto 4x4 with only 96k mi on it. I want to upgrade the factory instrument cluster/gauges/speedometer to one with a tachometer. My local wrecking yard has several with tach for only $35. That is a cheap upgrade if it is possible.

It is my understanding that the 1997-1998 are easy (no PATS), but I have failed to find anyone that has done it or documented it.

The other thing is how can I match the mileage or run it back to match my truck odometer?

Thanks guys....

Supercab 03-16-2013 11:04 AM

I wish I truely knew about your '97.

I did this swap on my '94 OBS a few years back and was told the wires are already there and it was a plug n play deal on THAT truck.

I got a tach cluster and just took both the old and new apart and swapped my speedo into the new cluster, put the new cluster into my truck and the tach worked perfectly!

TrdLtly 03-16-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Supercab (Post 12956126)
I wish I truely knew about your '97.

I did this swap on my '94 OBS a few years back and was told the wires are already there and it was a plug n play deal on THAT truck.

I got a tach cluster and just took both the old and new apart and swapped my speedo into the new cluster, put the new cluster into my truck and the tach worked perfectly!

Thanks for the input Supercab. Looks like I will just have to spend the $35 and find out. Car-parts.com shows it as being compatible. Yes I will make sure I get pictures. Now to find one with similar mileage as my odometer is showing.

Supercab 03-18-2013 04:02 AM

You are welcome. I still think you can swap your speedo/odo into the new tach cluster.
I am not familliar with the '97 cluster layout....my neighbor has a '99 and I'm pretty sure that IT has a tach.
In any case I am reasonably sure that the odo CAN be reset....

TrdLtly 03-18-2013 06:40 AM

I am just really surprised that no one has commented that they have done it or seen it done on a '97 or '98 F150 or F250LD. This thread has over 100 views and no one has upgraded their factory instrument cluster? Wow. I have seen were others have had PATS problems and had to replace their cluster, but no one voluntarily replaced theirs it appears.

I will call a knowledgeable wrecking yard today to see what I can find out.

kdwellssr 07-02-2014 01:35 PM

What did you find out about your speedo issue. I have a 98 F250 LD and the odometer has quit. I'm considering the tack as a option. Also wondering if the truck you remove the speedo from must have 4x4 in order to have the 4x4 dash lights work properly on mine? Any info you get on this?