Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Thumping when brakes applied. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1228860-thumping-when-brakes-applied.html)

modfan 03-09-2013 05:14 PM

Thumping when brakes applied.

My 06 F350 King Ranch has a severe thumping when brakes are applied. Bad enough that the entire truck shakes. I have put on new rotors, calipers, and pads on the front. Any help would be appreciated. :-X19

99f350sd 03-09-2013 06:23 PM

check the driveshaft slip joint.....if its a one time thump..Tell me more about the noise /feeling etc.

The rears will do the same thing if the rotors are bad.

Tom 03-09-2013 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 99f350sd (Post 12930530)
check the driveshaft slip joint.....if its a one time thump..Tell me more about the noise /feeling etc.

The rears will do the same thing if the rotors are bad.

Completely agree here, what makes you think the problem is in the front?

modfan 03-09-2013 10:43 PM

I didn't say I thought it was in the front. I said that I had changed the rotors calipers and pads. This is because the rotors were warped and calipers were froze. After the change this problem started.

99f350sd 03-09-2013 11:42 PM

We still don't know enough! All we were saying is rears will cause the same issue..If you are talking about brake pulsations from rotors...So is that what it is?? You hit the brakes and the pedal pulsates until you stop? Thumping is not a word normally used to indicate rotor runout so I was trying to get more info from you.
If you still have brake pulsations your rotors are messed up again...How long did it take them to go bad?

modfan 03-09-2013 11:49 PM

I thought that it could be a bad rotor or a broken rotor. The new parts were put on. About 500 miles or less sence install. Could be a bad rotor? Just would like to know what to look for next. I checked the rears today and found nothing wrong.

modfan 03-09-2013 11:50 PM

I thought it felt like a broken part rather than a warped rotor. Could it possibly be a problem with the ABS?

99f350sd 03-10-2013 12:00 AM

Sure could be if it pulsates until you stop. Check the rotors, really can't be anything else.
Cheap rotors fail quick. Also you could have a bad new caliper...Jack up hit brakes/ let off see if wheels turn easy..by hand.

fmtrvt 03-10-2013 07:00 AM

You could have a rotor that was machined improperly. The reason all rotors pulsate is uneven thickness between the two rubbing surfaces, typically it is worn in. They do not "warp" from heat.

However, you can also have a rear issue as noted, only noticed until now because it would take some time for the new front brakes to bed in and develop full stopping power, so the work balance is thrown towards the rear brakes. The best way to test this is to use a pair of hose pliers to pinch off the drop hose between the frame and rear axle when you are on a deserted road and make a few stops to see if the pulsation is still there with front brakes only.

modfan 03-10-2013 07:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Jacked up the fronts and spun the tires, NO VIBRATION. Did as suggested and pinched rubber line in the rear and took it for a ride. NO VIBRATION. Found a cracked rotor in the rear!!!!!! Also one of the calipers was froze. Brake pads are rusted in place. Thanks again everyone!!!!