Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Changing Door Glass (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1226658-changing-door-glass.html)

Damifiknow 02-27-2013 06:54 PM

Changing Door Glass

I got all the parts I think I need to to chnage the door glass and felt for both doors this weekend. Anybody got any tips or tricks they want to share? Video? Pictures?

mtdorf 02-27-2013 10:21 PM

In the same boat...never did like this job always talked someone else into doing it lol. Goo.d luck

GB SISSON 02-28-2013 12:40 AM

Like both of you, I'm right there. Every time I do this I swear it will be the last. It's areally, really horrible job.....

spurredon 02-28-2013 08:08 PM

To me, it's the hardest job there is to restoring a truck! Glad it only has two doors! My tip would be to be patient and do not force anything where it dosen't want to go. When you finally get everthing aligned it will all be great and you will be glad to have it behind you!

Walston 03-01-2013 06:05 AM

The Dennis Carpenter Catalog has step by step instructions on how to do it. I found them helpful. If you don't have a copy, you can go to his website and download the current one. Instructions start on page 128 of the new catalog.

Don't let these guys scare you, it is not that hard, just don't get in a hurry.

GB SISSON 03-01-2013 07:55 AM

Thanks Walston. I will take a good look before I dive in. I'm betting the pros have a few tricks. They usually do. I never understood why no car/truck manfacturer ever made a fully removeable inner door skin. Or at least a couple of large, well placed access panels.

FJones8668 03-01-2013 09:32 AM

I didn't think this was too bad of a job... Maybe I'm confused. Did you end up with the full kit? Like Walston said, I snagged one of the LMC complete kits and all of the parts went in without issue except that I got the window lift channel on backwards the first time. Seems like the design is backwards to me! Then again I am left-handed! Bending the door glass run can be a pain. Once again like Walston said, don't get in a hurry. At the bottom end of the door glass run there is a metal tang that holds the bottom to the door. Make sure that gets over the top of the felt channel and smashed down. With the plastic roller, white assembly grease is your friend.

Damifiknow 03-01-2013 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Walston (Post 12897181)
The Dennis Carpenter Catalog has step by step instructions on how to do it. I found them helpful. If you don't have a copy, you can go to his website and download the current one. Instructions start on page 128 of the new catalog.

Don't let these guys scare you, it is not that hard, just don't get in a hurry.

I'm gonna try it tomorrow thanks for the info.

GB SISSON 03-02-2013 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At 60 years old in May, I have a bit of a hard time working my hands in tight places and My vision isn't what it used to be. I can still change a tire on a split rim or change out a set of leaf springs, It's just the arthritic fingers don't contort like they used to. Oh, and if I could have kept my fingers out of the table saw over the years, I might still have some feeling in my fingertips. Sorry if you just ate :D

spurredon 03-02-2013 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 12903353)
At 60 years old in May, I have a bit of a hard time working my hands in tight places and My vision isn't what it used to be. I can still change a tire on a split rim or change out a set of leaf springs, It's just the arthritic fingers don't contort like they used to. Oh, and if I could have kept my fingers out of the table saw over the years, I might still have some feeling in my fingertips. Sorry if you just ate :D

They closed them up pretty good there. I remember once while still a kid at home I caught mine on the saw and my dad felt sorry for me so he was finishing the job for me and cut his fingers worse! What true fatherly love!:)

GB SISSON 03-03-2013 12:21 AM

'Daddys don't just love their children every now and then, it's a love without end, amen'. Randy Travis, 1992. Now back to our regulary scheduled feature, the door glass. I'm guessing they are the same piece, right or left side, correct?

Walston 03-03-2013 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 12904258)
'Daddys don't just love their children every now and then, it's a love without end, amen'. Randy Travis, 1992. Now back to our regulary scheduled feature, the door glass. I'm guessing they are the same piece, right or left side, correct?

Yes. Flat glass, no difference side to side. The hardware is side specific.

Hope you have a quick recovery. Flesh doesn't stop blades too well.

GB SISSON 03-03-2013 09:03 AM

Pic was from about 4 years ago. Just showing why I have no feeling in some of my fingertips. You should have seen some of the other ones! :'(

theodore/teddy 03-03-2013 09:28 AM

Gary I like your taste in music

Daddys don't just love their children every now and then, it's a love without end, amen'
But George is the man!
It is pictures like the one you shared above that pop in my head while in the shop. So far so good!

Damifiknow 03-03-2013 03:45 PM

Well Glass and new felt is in. Not that bad to do it. Just gotta have patients.