Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   1993 F250...is this a good buy? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1225864-1993-f250-is-this-a-good-buy.html)

Psalm116 02-24-2013 03:24 PM

1993 F250...is this a good buy?

Not sure if I am even doing this right!
Just joined the site and this is all new to me so if I am doing this incorrectly I apologize in advance! I am also looking to buy...in fact I am looking to buy my first diesel EVER! It is a 1993 7.3IDI NON-TURBO F250 2WD extended cab long bed with 160,000 miles and an automatic tranny. It's a two owner and the current owner has owned the truck for the majority of its 20 years. He is also a big rig mechanic and knows his stuff. The truck is SUPER CLEAN, both inside and outside. Never any body, paint, or motor work (only a shift kit) and always an NC truck. It is literally a 9.5 out of 10 for its age. He wants $4,000 and to me that seems like a really good deal considering he doesn't need to sell. I will use this truck as my daily driver doing cell tower work occasionally towing 7-10k but it will possibly see upwards of 1500 miles a week unhooked. I need a dependable rig moreso than a good-looking high performance smoker (even though that is my next goal)! Is it a good first diesel? Is the truck worth his asking price? Is it ideal for what I need it for? Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

Chevy_Eater 02-24-2013 03:30 PM

It's a very good first diesel, and last one too as long as you're not the guy that has to pull the 40ft fifth wheel 80mph up the mountain grades. They are very dependable, easy to work on, and cheaper to work on by far in comparison to the power stroke.
That price sounds rather high, but if it's as nice as it sounds it may not be too bad. As longs as it's a price you would pay and be happy with. Any pics of the rig?
The only weak link in that truck is the tranny, the E4OD was not one of Ford's better ideas. Some like it though, so that's just my opinion.

Psalm116 02-24-2013 03:50 PM

Thank so much for the reply! I believe I will be making the purchase...I don't have pics but I will this week and I will be sure to post them. One more thing...should I leave the non-turbo motor untouched or in your opinion is adding a turbo a good decision? From what I see it seems A LOT of guys make these N/A's turbos...what do you think? I do know the compression is not the same and the last thing I want to do is ruin the motor!

akamacgyver 02-24-2013 03:56 PM

Psalm,

That price does seem high, especially for a 2wd. 160000 miles is pretty low though. If it truly is a 9.5 out of 10, it might be worth it, but I'd try to talk him down. I have a Banks Sidewinder (turbo) on my 93, and it runs great. As long as you don't go crazy with boost, your truck will handle it just fine.

Welcome to the forum,

Good luck,

Mac.

Psalm116 02-24-2013 04:00 PM

Thanks a bunch Mac, gettin' excited about bein' a diesel owner! If I add the Banks Sidewinder, what else is needed to help the turbo? An exhaust? If so, what size?

akamacgyver 02-24-2013 04:20 PM

The Banks is a pretty good stand alone kit, but a lot of guys upgrade the exhaust to a 4" and you can forego the muffler all together if your State doesn't smog these old vehicles like some. CA doesn't and CO only does an opacity test so I plan to get rid of the muffler in my 94. ATS and Duramax also make kits for the IDI. ATS is out of production, but the kits can be had on e-bay or CL.

Psalm116 02-24-2013 07:13 PM

Appreciate the help...sure we'll be talkin' again!

PASSIONATE_GRANDPA 02-24-2013 07:46 PM

Welcome to the site Psalm116 I just bought a 94 F250 4x4 with the 7.3 IDI non turbo last month. It was on craigslist and went the next day and brought it home. Anyway, it is an XL plain Jane truck, it has cruise, tilt and a/c and 158,000 on it. Also has a Meyers snow plow that had less then 20 hours on it. There are a couple of holes on the passenger side bed in front and behind the rear wheel other then those 2 spots it is in great shape.

Some 73 year old man had it and I got it for 3 grand. I will include a pic, hope this helps out a little when you jew him down..lol Good Luck!

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2dawso8.jpg

akamacgyver 02-24-2013 07:50 PM

Grandpa,

Welcome to you as well. It looks like you got a clean one. Unusual to see a 94 that is not factory turbo! I dig those running boards. I'd like to get a pair for my 94, but it looks like I might be upgrading to a crew cab anyway!

Psalm116 02-24-2013 08:30 PM

Good lookin' truck Grandpa...are you happy with the truck? Have you thought about addin' a turbo? What type of mpg's are you gettin'? Oh yeah, I might try to talk him down a little but it sure is a clean old truck!

PASSIONATE_GRANDPA 02-24-2013 08:35 PM

Thanks MacGyver I appreciate that. It does have some minor issues which all have been fixed except one and I started on it Friday night, I am replacing the entire exhaust system for the Y pipe to the rear, have I ever said how much I hate working on exhaust systems grr.lol. I am going with that Banks Sidewinder myself, I do know they are expensive.

PASSIONATE_GRANDPA 02-24-2013 08:39 PM

Thanks Psalm, I do not know fuel mileage yet, I filled up the front tank and it hasn't hit half a tank yet, I will let you know when I fill it back up. Diesel here is 4.29 a gallon, totally ridiculous and uncalled for.

speedwrench72 02-25-2013 02:21 AM

Should be 12/16mpg depending on gears...wecome to FTE:-jammin:-jammin

BigBlockF350 02-25-2013 02:29 AM

Sounds good. The IDI engines are dependable, and you'll probably be surprised at the fuel mileage you can get out of it. I've known of people getting 22 MPG bone stock out of those old IDI's. That's a big plus at 1500 miles a week.

Psalm116 02-25-2013 06:42 AM

I would do my best to attempt a back flip for 22mpg's! If all lines up for me to get the truck, I will know shortly!