Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Newbee and struggling. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1225766-newbee-and-struggling.html)

jonnycool 02-24-2013 12:33 AM

Newbee and struggling.

Hi all, great site.

I am in Australia and have a haynes manual but still can't locate the power fuses for my 1990 f150 (australian model).
I also cannot locate the inertia switch.
Do the aussie models have an inertia switch and there is no fuse box under the hood. Where would the fuses be. I have found the chassis fuse box under the dash but they are only for lights and instruments.
Left sitting for 3 weeks, now wont fire. Plenty of battery. Want to check fuel supply first.
Thanks heaps in advance.

Jonny.

timbersteel 02-24-2013 01:01 AM

Not sure about Aussie models, but inertia switch is behind the passenger side kick panel, in cab. Sorry can't help you more concerning the fuse box. Ours is on the driver side of fender well, under hood.

88n94 02-24-2013 01:14 AM

The fuse box you found is probably the only one there is on a 1990. I doubt if your inertia switch is tripped if you didn't hit a big bump or run into something or get bumped.

If I had to guess what your problem is, I would say the ignition module on the side of the distributor went dead. This could be tested beings you have a complete won't start condition. Do you have a place over there near you that tests something like this? Which engine do you have the 300(4.9 liter) 6 cylinder, the 302(5.0 liter) V8 or the 351(5.8 liter) V8?

You need to do some tests to see if you have lost ignition or fuel delivery first off, so you know which tree to bark up so to speak.

jonnycool 02-24-2013 03:59 AM

Newbee back

Thanks for this help.....It is a 351w.
Would you check for spark first rather than fuel?
Can I do that with a clamp meter on the spark plug leads.
By ignition module, are you referring to the coil?

If I can get this big old girl running, I will be rat rodding it in a parts hauler style as she has had a hard life to this point.

Cheers:-drink

88n94 02-24-2013 11:05 AM

I would check for spark first, that is easiest in my opinion.
A clamp meter will probably work or pull out one end of the large wire that goes from the coil to the distributor cap and hold it a little ways from where it hooks in and crank the engine and watch for spark.
The ignition module bolts to the side of the distributor. You need a special tool to remove it, sort of a socket with a thin nose. This is assuming the 1990 Australian model is the same as the 1990 US model.

jonnycool 04-03-2013 07:17 AM

After a lot of fiddling, it seems that while there is enough charge in the battery to turn the beast over, unless i have the battery on a charger to full charge, the fuel pump does not start when i turn the key to start....You can hear it whirr when the key is turned, and away she goes.

Does this sound right. Do I need a new battery or fuel pump or relay????

In summary, if I have had a charger on the battery overnight she starts. If i leave it for a few days sitting without starting, she turns over strongly but i can't here the fuel pump kick in? Frustrating!