Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.0L Powerstroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum204/)
-   -   Now that Dodge/Ram is building a 1500 Diesel, How long will it take Ford to FINALLY Do the same!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1224238-now-that-dodge-ram-is-building-a-1500-diesel-how-long-will-it-take-ford-to-finally-do-the-same.html)

EPI-911 02-17-2013 08:58 AM

Now that Dodge/Ram is building a 1500 Diesel, How long will it take Ford to FINALLY Do the same!!!

Ram 1500 to get V6 diesel engine later this year

We've all been waiting YEARS for Ford to finally listen to "their" Customers and provide us with a F150 and Expedition Diesel. SO now that Ram is actually going to have one Im REALLY Hoping that Ford pulls their Head out of their Asses with the One Ford Plan for Light and Medium Duty Trucks and brings us something soon.

Ive been hanging onto my 2004 Excursion 6.0L PSD for a while simply because I have a need for a SUV that can tow, and still get me "good fuel economy" and give my family the space it needs and my work needs.

Lets hope hope that we too get a PSD in the F150 AND an Expedition!! That would be the icing on the cake!!

Ford could have been the first one to the Gate with a Small Diesel but instead they had to "listen to the bean counters" or whomever they pass the blame off on.

BigBlockF350 02-17-2013 10:49 AM

If they go to making diesel versions of the F-150 and Expedition, I would think it'd be a smaller diesel than in the larger F-250s and up. On a 1/2 ton platform, there's no reason for an engine like their recent PSD engines. It would be nice if they could build a smaller turbo diesel around the 4.5L range that they could get 25+ mpg out of in an F-150. The vehicle doesn't have really high carrying/towing capacities, so I think they should shoot for MPG. A mid size diesel with a turbo will have enough torque for the towing capacity of the F-150, and it'll make nice MPG numbers with the right gearing.

21411 02-18-2013 10:07 AM

will it be a long life medium duty diesel like the powerstroke. or have a service life closer to a gas engine? if they built a cheaper diesel to make people happy, it most likely won't last much past 100,000 mi. then everyone in the states would argue that they are junk. right? we all like the idea of driving a diesel to 500k miles and there is a premium for that. as much as i would love a 4 or 5 cyl diesel in something the size of a dakota, they would rival the gasser counter part. except possibly requiring more maintenance and stricter emissions. people would shun them. because a diesel should out last the truck it is in.

doesn't ford already have a 6 cyl diesel in some box trucks? i talked to a guy on our loading dock. he was not a fan. 12' box truck, said it was under powered and thirsty. 2 complaints that would kill sales in the 1/2 ton world. i was interested because i had recently learned of this engine and would like a smaller diesel for a project. but to many complaints about it in stock form. "fix" that engine and drop it into the 150. just make sure it is available to the xl crowd as well.

enthusiasts would love it and maintain them, but in mass numbers they would be abused, and probably fed gasoline.

again, i and most people who frequent this site would be happy and enjoy such a truck. but i do not see this catching on soon. which makes me cry a little bit.

sorry for the long post, but this is how i see it.

El Camino Man 02-18-2013 04:13 PM

I haven't heard of Dodge putting a diesel in their trucks yet. I did hear theyre "supposed" to put a 3L in the Grand Cherokee but I haven't heard anything else about it. Its supposed to be one heck of an engine but Im not sure if it made it past the concept stage.

I also agree if they do start putting small diesels in trucks, they wont satisfy everyone. Either not enough economy or not enough power. That's how I felt about the EcoBoost anyhow. Good power and good economy but I wasn't blown away on my test drive.

If Dodge stays with their alliance with Cummins and offers a Cummins based small engine in their 1500, I may have to go get one lol.

SavageNFS 02-18-2013 04:15 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-is-ford.html

Similar thread in the 6.7 section

85e150 02-18-2013 07:36 PM

Everybody thinks the old 300 six was so great. Same hp/torque, probably a lot better economy than the 300, especially with a 6 speed and locking TC in 2nd through 6th:

Isuzu Commercial Vehicles - Low Cab Forward Trucks - Commercial Trucks - Reach Commercial Van Specifications

This was the easiest way to post the engine/trans specs. A 12,000 GVWR is just what most people want in 1/2 ton pickup, so I'm sure it would work in a 1/2....

We have a couple at work. A bit slow on take off, just like the 300....

21411 02-19-2013 07:36 AM

i would imagine the 300 is long forgotten by most new truck consumers. that engine was great for a work truck. its not trying to win any races but will get you there every time kinda deal. like the old idi's, then they turbo the diesel, why, to help them keep up with traffic. now they are twin turbo-ing the v6 gasser. again to keep up with traffic and try to keep the govt. happy.
cars today are so powerful and fast. 15 years ago a 2.0 liter would barley move a car now they are what 250 hp? sorry i just don't see a slow diesel lasting in a 1/2 ton market. (again i personally would love one. but there are about 12 of us out there, not enough profit for ford or dodge i'm sure)

the above is just my jaded opinions.

parkland 02-20-2013 11:56 AM

I don't think it will happen.

The 6.7 v8 is 400 hp, and an engine that would fit in an f150 would likely be in the 3 liter ish displacement 200-250 hp.
The 3.5 ecoboost at 365 hp would eat it for lunch in every department, except possibly mileage.
So the only person willing to buy it would be interested in spending a large sum of money, just to get slightly better mileage, from a fuel that currently costs more.

Nobody would buy it to tow, cause the super duty would be superior in every aspect.
Nobody would buy it to race, cause all the tuners and upgrades might only match a stock 6.7.

Nobody would buy it except for mileage, and unless they plan on real world 30 mpg out of it, I don't see a market.

EPI-911 02-22-2013 07:18 PM

Well we have our reply from ford, chuby, and even toyoda.... No they will not be building a F150 Diesel... Sucksss. Looks like I might have to keep an eye on how good or bad they perform maybe if they are worth the trial pick one up.

I love the smell of diesel in the morning.

Ford, Chevy and Toyota: No Plans for Diesel Half-Tons | AutoGuide.com News

parkland 02-23-2013 11:12 AM

IMHO, they should bring the diesel ranger into the picture NOW!!!
Tinkering a bit to get it emission legal is going to cost less than building a diesel half ton!!!!
And the mileage will be superior!
As I already said, the ecoboost is huge power for towing here and there, and for serious towing, F250 or 350 is great...

Bring in the diesel rangers, and they will be the new bar for fuel mileage!!!

parkland 02-23-2013 11:21 AM

And this:

"A 21-gallon diesel fuel tank provides a possible range of 620 miles. In a recent mileage test conducted by Ford, we’re told a 2.2-liter Ranger got a class-best 990 miles before it ran out of fuel."

El Camino Man 02-23-2013 12:40 PM

Fords worst idea ever was discontinuing the Ranger... IMO of course.

Iv said this for a few years now: Crew Cab Ranger, good 4 cyl diesel, and offer leather seats. Id be SOLD! Id buy the first one that hit the market. Instead Ford goes off the beaten path and discontinues them simply to help[ F-150 sales.

El Camino Man 02-23-2013 12:46 PM

Ehh Im reconsidering now... That first vid says the double cab ranger with that diesel engine is $55,000 Australian. That's still $52,000 USD...

parkland 02-23-2013 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by El Camino Man (Post 12874526)
Ehh Im reconsidering now... That first vid says the double cab ranger with that diesel engine is $55,000 Australian. That's still $52,000 USD...

I think trucks just cost more there.

I seem to remember a guy telling me a super duty costs 100,000$ USD in australia.

Jus2shy 02-24-2013 05:30 PM

The up and coming Dodge 1500 diesel will be using a VM Motori Diesel, the same engine being put into the grand cherokee. Seems like there's some estimates where the more conservative configurations may be able to break the 30 mpg barrier. If the truck is reasonably priced, my wife may have a Dodge next to my Ford. 30mpg would be better than the mileage her current Subaru Legacy gets.