Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   ford 5.4 dpfe sensor question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1222488-ford-5-4-dpfe-sensor-question.html)

remmers 02-09-2013 01:01 PM

ford 5.4 dpfe sensor question

I picked up a 98 f-150 with the 5.4 and the wire harness going to the dpfe sensor has been cut,so the plug is in sensor but the wires are too short to re-attach. Can you get just the end of the harness to splice in so I can hook up the wire harness to the DPFE sensor?

Thanks

LxMan1 02-10-2013 03:38 PM

You might try someone like Napa. they may have something. If not, hit your local salvage yard and cut one off then splice it to your harness. Most Fords from the late 90's -up usually use the same plug.

remmers 02-18-2013 05:37 PM

Ok I was able to re-wire it, and as soon as i fired it up I could tell a difference in the way the truck ran.

The cel is still on and after the truck warms up and I drive 15-20 miles it starts to run really weird/ruff, i get up to about 50mph and the truck starts to shake, but as soon as i get down below that it stops.

It only does this after the truck has been running and warmed up.

When I am driving it cold it runs perfect, and even when this issue happens,if I hit the gas it takes off like a rocket and no stumble/running ruff, but as soon as I drop back down to normal driving it starts doing it again around the 50mph mark:-huh

jerem0621 02-19-2013 06:53 PM

I am trying to figure out the logic of cutting off the DPFE sensor wires...

Thanks!

remmers 02-19-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by jerem0621 (Post 12858734)
I am trying to figure out the logic of cutting off the DPFE sensor wires...

Thanks!

You and me both. It was like this when I bought it:confused:

remmers 02-25-2013 04:20 PM

ok I took it in to get scanned and it said that the dfps was not getting a ground, so I repaired the wiring and while I was at it gave it a sea foam treatment.

Well it seems to be running better, and it has lots of power but the CEL is still on and at one point it was flashing until I slowed down to turn around and then it want back to a solid light

Any ideas?

jerem0621 02-25-2013 08:02 PM

The little hoses going to the DPFE sensor. Did you make sure that they are clear of obstructions?

remmers 02-25-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by jerem0621 (Post 12883658)
The little hoses going to the DPFE sensor. Did you make sure that they are clear of obstructions?

I did pull the hoses and there was a "crusty" substance at the top of the hoses, I would I go about cleaning these hoses out?

jerem0621 02-25-2013 10:39 PM

Straighten out a coat hanger and simply run it through the hoses. Be careful not to puncture the hose.

I would simply wipe the hoses off with a damp rag. You could probably get replacements for a few bucks at the parts store. But I would try to make sure they are clear before I did that.

The sensor may be bad but let's do the free stuff first.