Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Headlights randomly coming on? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1220410-headlights-randomly-coming-on.html)

Yougotthehit 01-30-2013 08:54 PM

Headlights randomly coming on?

Truck was just parked sitting there and the lights came on. Changed the headlight switch and it was fine. 5 hoursater the lights are back On????? It's a 00 f350 what gives

AzPete 01-30-2013 09:10 PM

Truck is afraid of the dark......

Any changes to the system from the stock lights?

Yougotthehit 01-30-2013 09:16 PM

Nope bone stock

AzPete 01-30-2013 09:42 PM

Unplug the headlight switch and see if it happens again. Possibly a bad....new....switch.

Yougotthehit 01-31-2013 08:10 AM

I highly doubt that

BillyBob69 01-31-2013 09:00 AM

It is sending signals to a another ship in the distance. It's lonely. Get another truck!! :D

Sorry... Too much coffee....

Check the back of the fuse box and check the GEM for signs of dried up water.. Corrosion etc.
These trucks are known for leaking windshields at the top drivers corner. The water runs down the A pillar and into the back side of the fuse box and on to the GEM. The GEM is what controls the accessories. There have been other wierd things happen when that gets wet... Truck dies when using the wipers, Radio comes on and off on its own etc.

And dont ever believe that anything new is working fine unless you have tested or proven that it is good. I have seen many switches DOA out of the box. Although the same exact issue with a new switch is unlikely, but not impossible.

Yougotthehit 01-31-2013 12:17 PM

Thanks buddy

Deluxe06 01-31-2013 01:23 PM

Can you tell if it's your high beams or low beams that are coming on. It could be your multi function switch or a chafed wire in the column.

Yougotthehit 02-08-2013 08:14 AM

Ok. So now the parking lights come on and stay on unless you unplug the batteries. I disconnected the head light switch to see if that would do it and even with it unhooked they are still on. I'm lost!

BillyBob69 02-08-2013 08:28 AM

I still think the GEM module is having issues. Have you tried just unplugging that? Or checking for water marks?

AzPete 02-08-2013 08:37 AM

Yep....sounds like a water leak issue or GEM issue for sure.

howellt39 02-08-2013 09:02 AM

Agreed, start with the GEM. Has it been parked outside or driven in a lot of rain lately? Leaks from the windshield seal seem to make their way directly to the GEM.

Gonna throw my hat in the ring for bad switches out of the box. Had a bad one show up for my wife's Jeep. Entirely possible. I don't think it's your problem, but yeah that's not unbelievable in general.

99StrokeXLT 02-08-2013 09:32 AM

Don't want to high-jack but what is the solution for a leak at the windshield. New window/reseal?....

BillyBob69 02-08-2013 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 99StrokeXLT (Post 12814446)
Don't want to high-jack but what is the solution for a leak at the windshield. New window/reseal?....

Most reputable shops can pull, clean and reseal the windshield correctly. Just have them give a little more attention to the top corners...especially the drivers side. That is usually where it has problems. Water collects in that spot then rusts and starts draining into the cab.

About 3 windshields ago, the guy installing it saw the bad spot and did some repair to it. Cleaned the rust, JB Weld to close any pin holes, primered the bare metal and kept it all below trim line so when the windshield was put in, you couldn't see the repair. Just be sure that if you do have this done... If the guy seems unsure at all, don't let him do it. I have seen good windshields destroyed by someone not being careful taking it out.

99StrokeXLT 02-08-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BillyBob69 (Post 12814475)
Most reputable shops can pull, clean and reseal the windshield correctly. Just have them give a little more attention to the top corners...especially the drivers side. That is usually where it has problems. Water collects in that spot then rusts and starts draining into the cab.

About 3 windshields ago, the guy installing it saw the bad spot and did some repair to it. Cleaned the rust, JB Weld to close any pin holes, primered the bare metal and kept it all below trim line so when the windshield was put in, you couldn't see the repair. Just be sure that if you do have this done... If the guy seems unsure at all, don't let him do it. I have seen good windshields destroyed by someone not being careful taking it out.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look in there my radio randomly tires to load a CD when there hasn't been one in there in 2 years. Happens with the radio on or off, then switches back to FM.