Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Driver side seat heater not working, 2010 Expedition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1220344-driver-side-seat-heater-not-working-2010-expedition.html)

Milkman3371 01-30-2013 05:01 PM

Driver side seat heater not working, 2010 Expedition

Hi,

Just got the truck home.

What can I look for? The drivers side seat heater is not working. When you turn switch on the little red lights come on for about 20 seconds and they shut off. No heat.

What should I look for?

2010 Eddie Bauer expedition

RI-Matt 01-30-2013 05:25 PM

Check out this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...led-seats.html

Matt

Milkman3371 01-30-2013 06:16 PM

Thanks, I hoping to find a self diagnosis that I can remove and replace a part.

I too just checked.... MY COOLING NOR MY heating works... Can't be an element!

Plus mine is a 2010 that thread is for 2007s

What else? I hate the dealer

Milkman3371 01-30-2013 08:33 PM

I disconnected the power from the battery and it made the cooling work?. WEIRD

The heat still Acts the same. On for about 30 seconds then shuts off then when you try to restart it shuts off immediately.

Please help!

Milkman3371 01-31-2013 09:05 AM

Talked to the dealer. Going in Wednesday for diagnosis. I am having no luck on my own.

RI-Matt 01-31-2013 09:14 AM

Unfortunately I think that's your only option. Most of the electronics on the vehicle are not serviceable by the consumer. The drivers seat heat module underneath the driver seat can be replaced but still needs to be programmed by a dealer to work in the vehicle. That's how they get you. :-arrgh

Matt

Milkman3371 01-31-2013 09:20 AM

Great! NOT!

Oh well, I was pretty confident on the phone with the service guy, he is my works contact point for our fleet vehicles. There is some mutual professional courtesy in place. I told him I just don't want "bent over". He thinks its one of the elements. Said my bill shouldn't be more than 2-300 if that's the case. I can eat that.

Milkman3371 02-01-2013 08:58 AM

UPDATE MORE HELP NEEDED!

In an effort to further look into this and save money...

I was able to track down service records and a quote given to the former owners for the repair of the seat...

The quote at the dealer said it was a "blower control module" part number 9L1Z14C724A.
I understand the blower also runs in heat mode. I checked my blower and for the short time the switch stays on the fan does in fact run/work on the bad seat.

My question is, this doesn't make sense to me. Is the blower control module also interactive with the heating elements? Is this thing more than a "blower"? I trust the ford dealer did diagnose it but just want to be sure if anyone agrees with this diagnosis? I can get the part on line for 162.00

Please help!

Milkman3371 02-04-2013 12:44 PM

Switched the blower motors passenger and driver seat. Did not work!

HELP!

RI-Matt 02-04-2013 01:37 PM

The dealer replace the blower motors on both seats and it still doesn't work? I hope you didn't pay for that.
My guess is the control module under the seat or the HVAC in the dash that sends the signal to the seats. Sometimes the wiring for the seats gets messed up and shorts something out so I would have that checked too. I'm pretty sure the technician can run a self diagnostic on the HVAC unit to see if its still in communication with the module under the seat.
Also I don't believe the Expys have the traditional seat heating element. Per the service manual description - The climate control seat system is able to heat and cool the front seats. Each climate controlled seat is operated by push-buttons on the HVAC module located on the instrument panel. Each front seat temperature is then monitored and controlled by the dual climate controlled seat module (DCSM) located on the passenger front seat track.
The front seat cushions are equipped with a plenum (duct) attached to the cushion frame suspension wires (serviced with the cushion frame). Air from the cushion thermo-electric device (TED) and blower assembly is routed through a plenum and into the manifold fitted within the cushion foam pad (serviced with the cushion foam pad). The front seat backrest TED and blower assembly operate similarly by routing air directly through the backrest manifold (serviced with the backrest foam pad).
The climate controlled seat system contains the following components:
HVAC module
DCSM
TED and blower assembly within each front seat cushion and backrest
Air filter (attached to each TED and blower assembly)
Cushion and backrest foam pads (includes manifolds)
Cushion and backrest trim covers

Matt

Milkman3371 02-04-2013 01:49 PM

So your telling me there is TWO of the identical blowers in each seat? I didn't pay for anything. I swapped the blowers from the bottom of the seats. I didn't realize there was a blower in the back of the seat too! Please tell me if this is correct! You seem very knowledgeable.

I may have this narrowed down then. If there are in fact TWO blowers in each seat and they are identical, this explains why swapping the lowers didn't change anything.

Where is the second blower located?

Please help! The upholstery place has it apart and he is waiting to know if he is putting it back together.

RI-Matt 02-04-2013 01:54 PM

Yes if you unzip the back of the seat covet you will see the black ductwork with the blower in it.
But I don't think that's your problem I think it's either the control module under the seat or the unit in the dash

Matt

Milkman3371 02-04-2013 01:54 PM

Also can I get to the second blower without special tools? This makes sense with the original dealers diagnosis

Milkman3371 02-04-2013 02:04 PM

The original dealer said it was that issue exactly! A blower control assembly module. The whole mixup was I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS TWO. Are they identical?

Milkman3371 02-04-2013 02:10 PM

I didn't believe them because the bottom blower was working!