Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   sound insulation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1220299-sound-insulation.html)

hobbs53 01-30-2013 12:53 PM

sound insulation

Hey guys...I tried going through the search option thinking there's GOT to be a blog addressing sound/heat insulation for a build....but can't find anything.
Any experience you guys have on insulating the cab (specifically my '59 Fridge), I'm all ears. Looks like Dynamat is the most expensive; Peal and Seal from Lowes melts in the sun........any other thoughts/options. She's pretty loud right now (there's NO cloth in the cab, so she resonates....!
Thanks
Scott

larryb346 01-30-2013 01:32 PM

I used rattletrapXXX and it has done very well. It went on easy, has remained stuck and is odorless. It made a tremendous difference in the interior noise. I did the entire inside , roof, rear of cab, inside doors and the floors. It went from sounding like I was inside a tin can to as quite as a modern car.
Larry

hobbs53 01-30-2013 02:52 PM

Thanks Larry...I'll look into that!

fking1 01-30-2013 03:52 PM

On my 55 used Frost King from Home Depot.
It is made for wrapping hot water tanks and works well, very reasonable.
Put Dynamat on my 70 Vette with 3M undercoat spray first. Very costly and didn't make much difference in sound with the headers and flowmasters, heat insulation is very good.

ZOOT 01-30-2013 03:56 PM

Dynomat is what I used, great stuff, very user friendly. Cuts easily, is flexible, and sticks well. It's great for the tranny cover, master brake cylinder door and similar applications. Also EXPENSIVE:-hair

hobbs53 01-30-2013 05:00 PM

Thanks guys...really appreciate your thoughts. I'm also trying to decide what to put down over the deadening material on the floor....thought about just rubber floor mats, but they won't cover all the material up the firewall and under the seat...what do people use to edge carpet...make a nice, clean edge by the doors, etc?
actually thought about spraying Rhino Liner over the sound insulation material on the floor but don't know if that'll work.....
Thanks again guys!

fatfenders 01-30-2013 05:25 PM

There are some far less expensive options for sound deadener than dyno mat. Check out audio forums for current products. Gutterguard is a aluminum over tar product that works awesome for the price. You don't need 100 percent coverage for it to help alot. Available at any home supply store such as Lowes. Follow with a well padded carpet. Spray undercoat under the cab. My 53 is extremely quite in the cab. It also weighs 50+ extra pounds in the process.

Rhino liner is tough, but no so much a sound deadener compared to other products.

theodore/teddy 01-30-2013 06:11 PM

Scott; Here is a link to the products I used, along with some interesting information.Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information
And heres some more reading material on this web site.
B-Quiet sound deadening materials - Installs
Good luck in your quest!

carnut122 01-30-2013 07:10 PM

I saw 3M has come out with their version. I've yet to have a 3M product that I wasn't totally satisfied with. I have Fat-Mat in mine, but I'll wait until I put on a less challenging exhaust before I give an opinion on it.

Aus56 01-30-2013 08:16 PM

Hello,

I am interested in this also. Some time ago I read the page from that link, the sound deadener showdown. It certainly sounds good, and it is interesting he says you don't have to totally line the inside of your cab, smaller sections of several different products working together will give a superior result.

It certainly sounds good, I wonder if someone here has tried him out to give a definitive answer.

Nev

Project-55 01-30-2013 11:45 PM

I used dyna-mat on my friends 50 and it works great, it;s very quiet and sounds like a bank vault when you rap on the outside skin. But it is a bit heavy, the 72 sq ft we put in his cab added 52 lbs.

Another friend used lizardskin sprayon and it has worked very well also. he applied 2 coats of the heat shield and another 2 coats of sound deadener to his 29 tudor. we calculated it out as about 78 to 80 sq ft and when we were done it added a wopping 80 lbs of weight and the cost was almost as much as the dyna-mat,,,, both ended up costing about 4 bills.

The dyna mat was easyier to put interior finishings over because it's smooth and level where as the lizardskin was a bit rough and irregular.

Walston 01-31-2013 06:49 AM

This is what I used when I did my 1960. I am very happy with the results and the price was much better than dyno matt

RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products

greenehoosier 01-31-2013 11:31 AM

Go to the junkyard and rip some out of a late model luxury car- free or close to it! My last build I used deadener from a late model lincoln on the floor, inside the doors, package tray and under (actually instead of) the headliner. I used 3m headliner contact cement to stick it to it!

topmoo 01-31-2013 04:28 PM

Here is a good article about insulation. You can cut the Dynamat into strips and it does what is supposed to do, then foil covered insulation on top. Cheaper than all Dynamat.
Dynamat Insulation Install - Custom Classic Trucks Magazine

ChuckRob 01-31-2013 05:00 PM

I am using the firewall cover from Quiet Ride Solutions. They custom make the cover for each vechicle and it is top of the line stuff. I am also going to get the rest of their insulation package for the cab.

QuietRide Solutions