Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr...PCM fuse keeps blowing! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1219867-grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-pcm-fuse-keeps-blowing.html)

Stewart_H 01-28-2013 04:32 PM

GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr...PCM fuse keeps blowing!

...and I unplugged the fuel bowl heater!

The Ex left my wife on the side of the road last night and I had to have it brought home on a flatbed.

I checked the F5 chip at the PCM and it's still secured and sealed by the duct tape and it's still firmly connected to the digital switcher.

I SUCK and anything electrical (my mind just doesn't grasp the basics of wiring etc), so if anyone has an idea on what to check, especially if it involves using a multi-meter, please explain like you're talking to a 15 year old. When I read where someone say's to Ohm something out, it's like they're speaking in a foreign language. :o

Stewart

nlemerise 01-28-2013 04:44 PM

So it blows #30 fuse when you turn the key to the KOEO position?

duck fan 01-28-2013 05:36 PM

The second you turn the key on, it blows. (I'm at Stewart's right now)

huntke 01-28-2013 05:55 PM

isn't that the same one that the fuel bowl heater is on?

oops.... did'nt read close enough

Deluxe06 01-28-2013 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by duck fan (Post 12769296)
The second you turn the key on, it blows. (I'm at Stewart's right now)

Peter,
Try unplugging the wastegate solenoid and try changing out the pcm relay. And also check for chafed wires,

howellt39 01-28-2013 06:49 PM

I had this exact same problem a couple years ago, all the way down to "unplugged the fuel bowl heater and no change"

My culprit was a worn spot on the wiring harness atop the DS VC. In my searches I also checked the DS shock tower and the OD wiring at the steering column. Mine was the VC though. Went through a lot of fuses, and ended up needing about 10" of electrical tape.

nlemerise 01-28-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by howellt39 (Post 12769474)
I had this exact same problem a couple years ago, all the way down to "unplugged the fuel bowl heater and no change"

My culprit was a worn spot on the wiring harness atop the DS VC. In my searches I also checked the DS shock tower and the OD wiring at the steering column. Mine was the VC though. Went through a lot of fuses, and ended up needing about 10" of electrical tape.

This is exactly what I pm'd Stewart a few hours ago...

Pitcrw6 01-28-2013 07:50 PM

Stewart, I'm like you when it comes to wiring. I need it written down so I can look at it to know what i'm doing. Thats what I get for being in the AF and working on airplanes. We have a book and it tells you exactly what to do and it comes with pictures.

howellt39 01-28-2013 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by nlemerise (Post 12769526)
This is exactly what I pm'd Stewart a few hours ago...

Great minds think alike!

Stewart_H 01-28-2013 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Deluxe06 (Post 12769390)
Peter,
Try unplugging the wastegate solenoid and try changing out the pcm relay. And also check for chafed wires,

Will try that tomorrow, thanks!

Originally Posted by howellt39 (Post 12769474)

The drivers side harness atop the valve cover is good to go, no chaffing. (2/1/13 edit to add: To be more specific, the wires on the outside of the valve cover leading to the 42-pin connector was good. I hadn't yet checked the wires on the valley side of the engine)

I didn't think the OD wiring in the steering column could do this, but I'll check it tomorrow too. Already had to replace the one in my old F250 when the OD button quit working.

I know this fuse is for the PCM, the wastegate, and the IDM. Hopefully it'll be something easy.

Stewart

howellt39 01-28-2013 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 12770604)

The drivers side harness atop the valve cover is good to go, no chaffing.

I know this fuse is for the PCM, the wastegate, and the IDM. Hopefully it'll be something easy.

Stewart

Darnit, was hoping you'd catch a break there.

Good idea unplugging the wastegate, hopefully that does the trick.

SpringerPop 01-29-2013 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As mentioned above, the only things on Fuse 30 are the wastgate control solenoid, the fuel bowl heater, and the two relays that enable the engine to run - the PCM power relay's coil, and the IDM power relay's coil.

The last two are fed through the PCM Diode in the front of the under-hood fuse and relay box. That's the little black thing in the extreme lower right in this photo (ignore "here" and arrow), and unplugs the same as anything else in that box. Be careful, though, it has to go back in the same way it came out, (but it can only fit one way). BTW, the other thing right beside it is a diode for the A/C clutch.

If you remove that little gizmo, the truck definitely won't start, but you will have eliminated half of the things that may be the cause of the short.

If the fuse no longer blows, then it's one of the two relay's coils shorted. Those two relays are identified as the arrowed "here" (the IDM), and the relay that's two above it at the top of the stack (the PCM relay). Pull them out one at a time and see if the short goes away.

If it continues to blow, it has to be either the wastegate solenoid, the bowl heater, or the wire thereto. The current gets from the relay box to those items via a cable that goes through the valve-cover 42-pin connector. Pull that loose and see if the fuse still blows.

If it keeps blowing with the 42-pin disconnected, it's somewhere between the fuse box and the 42-pin connector. Someone mentioned chafing along-side the shock tower.

If not, the short is in the engine valley's wiring somewhere. Since you've already pulled the heater loose, pull the wastegate control solenoid and see.

If you need the wire color (RED/LT GRN), here's a diagram:
http://springerpop.net/F350/PDFs/Eng..._controls1.pdf
It passes through the 42-pin connector on Pin 35.

Pop

Stewart_H 01-29-2013 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by SpringerPop (Post 12770839)
It's the thing in the extreme lower right in this photo

No picture?

Stewart

Stewart_H 01-29-2013 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 12770841)
No picture?

Stewart

Wow, instant picture, LOL!

Stewart

Stewart_H 01-29-2013 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by SpringerPop (Post 12770839)
If you remove that little gizmo, the truck definitely won't start, but you will have eliminated half of the things that may be the cause of the short.

Excellent!

Thanks!

Stewart