Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   DPF "ON" MiniMaxx install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1218641-dpf-on-minimaxx-install.html)

SavageNFS 01-23-2013 10:24 AM

DPF "ON" MiniMaxx install

Done! So last night I reported a little bit of issue with getting the SD card from H&S to be read by the MiniMaxx. I called H&S after trying to update it myself. I downloaded a new card file in the back ground while I was talking to them in case I needed to start over (downloading an entire SD card is like 20-30 minutes depending on your internet provider). While talking to H&S they remote access my computer and deleted my card, formatted it and installed the correct updated information for my truck. We then updated the firmware on my MiniMaxx (which is not the tune files btw). This has to be done. I couldn’t unlock the MiniMaxx as my VIN wasn’t in the system without the update.

Once the firmware was update, it was time to install into the truck. I started with a fully warmed up truck. Engine was off and key was in the run position (it tells you to do this if you forget). I then went to “Download a Tune”, picked the 6.7 Ford tune and entered my unlock code after following the on screen instructions.
If you never tuned a vehicle before, be prepared to hear all sorts of warning chimes, flashing warnings and things that make you on edge wondering if your baby is coming out of this alive. First it downloads the stock tunes from the truck. Then it will install the main tune (this takes a little while, I think 10 minutes at least). Then it will ask you about if you want to load the transmission tune or not. I did and I highly recommend it. Go through all the prompts and read the screen carefully and it’s Savage proof. It really is easy, but the over install is probably around 20 minutes or so. I had to tell it if my DPF was present or not, which I chose to leave mine on and not block off my EGR. It had to adjust the tune and then load it on the truck.

Once installed, I started the truck and then adjusted the defueling levels, tire size and TPMS. I adjust the gauges I wanted to see and then proceeded to an area that I could do the transmission relearn procedure. I felt a noticeable improvement with shifting of the truck. It is firmer and more precise. I did the transmission relearn runs on “performance” level tuning which consist of a 0-80mph run at 25% throttle, 0-80mph at 50% throttle, and 0-80mph at 100% throttle. My pants got tight…just saying.
I did some other runs and was pretty impressed with what I was feeling and seeing as well as what I was not hearing. I say that because I really like the fact that my truck sounds exactly the same. No increased noise at all other than the turbo at the higher boost (which you have to really listen for, it’s not pronounced). I was very pleased with the performance as well. I noticed ever so slight gains from the aFe CAI and DPF back exhaust before and now see HUGE gains from the MM. I’m not a big guy for adjectives for describing performance results…pictures say a thousand words. Keep in mind I’m running 35” new Toyo Open Country MT’s. This is important because they are heavy, large tires. Guys with smaller, lighters tires will yield different results.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/s...123_084216.jpg
Stock base line run (best and last of 3 runs). 2wd, traction nanny on, no e-locker.
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/s...123_084525.jpg
Performance mode (one run). 2wd, traction nanny on, no e-locker. Traction nanny was very much working in this run.

I can't wait to do a little testing with TC turned off and some 4wd launches. I'll have to keep an eye on the regens and report back as to how all of that is functioning in the future. So far no codes (knocks on wood) and all is good. I did a little tribute to Epic and posted a video to run through the gauges, size and initial thoughts. The transmission tuning has some serious potential. I'm really please with what I saw so far. if you aren't happy with your stock transmission shifting *cough*John*cough*, you may want to ask me about it in the future. Initial thoughts are that H&S did an outstanding job here. Kind of nice to have a "sleeper"...I don't know too many trucks in town that could take my truck stock, let alone now. No comments on the camera operator...I'm not Epic and will never be there. All hail Epic!
PID's the MM will monitor:
  • Current Power Level
  • Transmission Gear Position
  • Torque Converter Status
  • Pyro 1
  • Pyro 2
  • Speed
  • Boost Pressure
  • Engine RPM
  • Coolant Temperature
  • Injector Pulse Width
  • Throttle Percentage
  • Intake Air Temperature
  • Barometric Pressure
  • Battery Voltage
  • Oil Temperature
  • Fuel Rail Pressure (ICP)
  • Transmission Temperature (Auto)
  • Load Percentage
  • Timing
  • Exhaust Back Pressure

SavageNFS 01-23-2013 10:29 AM

P.S. This is a RACE tuner or P/N 109003, not a street tuner that is P/N 109007. I wanted the options the race tuner had as well as the value of the hardware for resale value.

Jigger2020 01-23-2013 10:33 AM

Awesome info & feedback Savage, very well done, keep on trucking.......

powerstroke72 01-23-2013 10:46 AM

Great Stuff Andre!!:D

Yeah, I'm still not happy with my transmission. It still isn't right but I've only got about 400 miles since the work. I'm going to try to take it for an extended multi-mile run this weekend to see how it does. I've still got some lurching going from 2nd to 3rd and the bucking in 3rd after the shift.:-arrgh

On another note, I'm loving that 0-60 time.:-jammin

I soooooo wish I was out of warranty and/or hadn't bought the ESP. I'd be buying myself one too.;)

SavageNFS 01-23-2013 11:02 AM

I paid for ESP and I talked to my dealership. Provided the problem wasn't a direct result of the tuner, they are fine with it. It's risk, no doubt about it. They did ask that I remove the tuner before I bring it in for service as they don't want it in there. They want it back to stock.

You add power and historically, parts break. That being said...I'm not a punk kid that's going to beat the snot out of my truck all the time. It's nice to have the extra power and the cleaned up shifting is very nice.

powerstroke72 01-23-2013 11:08 AM

Yeah, I'm with you. It seems to be a dealer to dealer thing when it comes to which ones will and won't try to screw you on the warranty. I used to be very confident in my dealer's service dept but their best diesel tech left for another dealer and the service writers couldn't find their butts with both hands and a map. With all of the crap I have gone through with the transmission in this truck, I wouldn't put it past them to try to sock it to me if I had a tune in it.

I'd love to have the improved shifting. I'm going to see how this thing does over the next few weeks and go from there. If it doesn't clear up, I'm going to be on the phone directly with Ford Customer Service this time. I've had enough of messing with them.

Jigger2020 01-23-2013 11:15 AM

I agree Savage, we're not punk kids with Daddy's truck so we take care of them....we made the payments

strokin83 01-23-2013 12:52 PM

Hey thanks for taking the time to document all this. I really appreciate it. I'm really curious what your regen frequency will be. I'm still on the fence about the tuner. I loved my custom tuning on my 6.0 but that is a different cheaper animal when things go bad. With the EPA imposing their will on the aftermarket it makes me nervous as to when they are going to hit the consumer. Our government lacks no vigilance in following the money trail and coming up with a new regulation when they see fit. Maybe I'm paranoid but if you told me where the technology was going when I drove my first powerstroke in '97 I never would have believed it. Thanks again and keep us posted.

CountryD 01-23-2013 01:38 PM

I really like the fact that you can run "Stock" with the DEF on. Thats a cool feature. But like others stated, Im gonna wait and see how yours does in the future. Savage, appreciate you being the Guinea Pig. J/K

SavageNFS 01-23-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by CountryD (Post 12749038)
Savage, appreciate you being the Guinea Pig. J/K

No you're not :)

It's cool...at least I'm not sweating the decision anymore :-X06 My buddy that has the '05 Harley Davidson 6.0L with a Banks 6 is stopping by on the way home from work to take it out for a drive. He appears to be drooling over the phone...

darren32 01-23-2013 02:34 PM

Nice work savage :)

Andrew010 01-23-2013 06:33 PM

It's about time you got off the porch!!

Enjoy your new truck.

Tomahawk 01-23-2013 07:28 PM

http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticon...ir2-smiley.gif = ME

Nice work on the install Andre.

SavageNFS 01-23-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tomahawk (Post 12750265)
http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticon...ir2-smiley.gif = ME

Nice work on the install Andre.

That smiley is full of win, Gavin!

Tim Young 01-23-2013 09:57 PM

Good Job Andre! Thanks for sharing.