Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Autometer customer service story. :) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1217606-autometer-customer-service-story.html)

clem1226 01-18-2013 09:02 PM

Autometer customer service story. :)

Back in 06 I purchased a 3 gauge autometer package from some fly by nightinternet website that ended up dying a painful death with much forum flaming(Ican’t remember the name).

Long story short within a month of installing the gauges the Pyro startedacting up. It would sometimes read outrageously high or just peg against pin,occasionally it would drop to zero. A few strategic taps with my wedding ringon the bezel usually returned it to something believable and back then I wasworking 7 days a week 15 to 16 hours a day so I just got used to it and never dealtwith the problem.

Fast forward 7 years to 2013, I am only working 5 days a week and reasonablehours. Tuesday evening I am on my way home and I reach up to provide percussivemaintenance to my Pyro and and at that moment decide I need to send this thingto autometer for repair .When I get home I slide the gauge out of the pillar,disconnect the wires and drop it in a box with a form I printed out fromautometer’s website detailing the nature of the issue with the gauge. I expectit will cost me 20 to 50 dollars for repair of the gauge plus a new bezel becausemine is beat to hell, but that is cheaper than 160 for a new one.

Now we are up to today: Corey from autometer calls me this morning. He explains that he has been through the gauge front to back and can’t findanything wrong with it. He is extremely apologetic that he can’t duplicate thefault or offer any warranty. I didn’t say anything to Cory on the phone or onthe cry sheet about the issue developing back in 06, I figured I dropped theball…not their problem.

Then Cory drops the bomb, he say and I quote “ I don’t doubt that you arehaving an issue I just can’t duplicate it for repair , the absolute best I can do is sell you a new gauge and the best price I can do is $35. Oh and that is the full kit with a new probe just in case. “

Needless to say they just made a customer for life out of me. He also toldme he was going to walk my order down to production so I should have it by nextThursday….I had no idea they still manufactured in the good old USA, I thought they had shipped everything overseas. All in all it put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

Just thought I would share,

DieselCamper01 01-18-2013 09:24 PM

Very nice Steve. It is a pleasure to hear a positive customer service story for a change. They are few and far between.

twg1966 01-18-2013 09:38 PM

Wow, that is good to hear. I am running a mixed batch of autometers that are still going strong after about seven years. Will definitely continue using them based on that and my past experience.

gengine 01-18-2013 09:46 PM

Thanks for posting. All ya hear is the bad, hearing the good really means something. I've been looking at new gauges recently, especially one for my tranny. I am even more persuaded toward auto meter.

tappit01 01-19-2013 07:11 AM

sounds like i made the right choice in my latest gauge purchase. glad to hear they have good service.

tommyl 01-19-2013 07:17 AM

I'd like to give a shout out for Cory and Autometer, also! My pyro was acting up just this past week. I gave Autometer a shout and Cory responded with some suggestions. In short, I just had a bad ground. Thanks, Cory! Lessoned learned, if gauges are acting up, check your ground connections..

dn29626 01-19-2013 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by clem1226 (Post 12730983)
...autometer...still manufactured in the good old USA...

...Just thought I would share...

Thanks so much for that. :-jammin

Ponyboychris 01-19-2013 09:46 AM

Wow, my Pyro is doing the exact same thing and has been getting progressively worse over the last two years. I've owned it for 6 years. I simple thump of the knuckle would fix it but now it's working only 20% of the time. I guess I need to give Cory a ring. It's not a wiring issue I know that for a fact. It's internal to the gauge. Thanks for posting.

Ponyboychris 02-07-2013 04:52 PM

Just a followup on my experience. My pyro was acting up, sent it to Cory at Autometer and in a week, a brand spankin new gauge was sent to me. I guess the gauge was defective but I was ready to buy a new one. So thumbs up to Autometer and them standing behind their products. I didn't even have to produce a receipt.

clem1226 02-07-2013 05:40 PM

I guess I should have concluded this, my gauge was 5+ years old so I had no issue with the $35 they charged me for a full replacement kit. I recieved my new gauge 6 days after I sent in my old one for repair.

TXdoug 02-07-2013 07:14 PM

Sweet,
I am glad this aint a bummer thread cuz my new autometers are being delivered tomorrow.:-jammin

but ya I figured it was ok to ad it to my sig as soon as they were ordered.

Ponyboychris 02-07-2013 07:30 PM

I've been an Autometer customer for years with other vehicles. This was the first time I had to try out their warranty and I am very pleased with the results. Even if I had to pay a little bit for a replacement like Steve had to (in my case I didn't for this one) I would have.

Studawg 02-07-2013 07:47 PM

I have a similar story about Autometer and Cory in particular. I was having a fit with my boost gauge, and sent an email to the general Autometer address. I doubted I would get a response at all and if I did, it would be well after I figured out the answer on my own or from this forum. Well, I got a response from Cory within 24 hours telling me I needed a 90* fitting and he would send me one for free. He sent me an email the following day saying it had been sent, and I received it soon thereafter. A few weeks later when I actually got around to putting my gauges in, I had a question about lengthening the wire for the trans temp gauge, so I emailed him and he got back to me exactly 1 hour and 14 minutes after that with an answer and more info! I was very impressed and told him so. It is so refreshing to get good customer service every now and then. I would say at least 90% of the time I have an issue with a company or product or service, the customer service absolutely sucks. Autometer is awesome.

Christof13T 02-07-2013 11:18 PM

Good info...
Having issues with my diff temp bouncing wildly.
And my pyro goes crazy when the lights are on ... sometimes i can get it to cooperate with a tap or two...
Diff temp needle bounces no matter what. Percussive-maintenance ineffective.
Grounds all check out with my meter.