Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Unknown item on my 1960 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1215395-unknown-item-on-my-1960-f100.html)

manlikesford 01-08-2013 06:22 PM

Unknown item on my 1960 F100

I have a strange item on the drivers side in the engine compartment sitting on the fender. it was added by the previous owner and never hooked up. It does look old and has hydraulic connections. I can not load a picture of it, because the instuctions on this website are too complicated for my simple mind. I can email a picture if anybody would be willing to look at it. Thanks.

f5fordgirl 01-08-2013 07:00 PM

If the lines go to the master cyl, it might be a trailer brake control.

ibuzzard 01-08-2013 07:41 PM

Is it still connected to anything, for instance, your brake master cylinder? The power brake unit was remotely mounted on these trucks, as opposed to firewall mounted. Could be a Midland or Hydrovac marked part.

manlikesford 01-08-2013 08:16 PM

It is not attached to anything and looks like it was added by the previous owner. It is also old, by the way the construction of it looks. It seems to be fairly large for a power brake unit, but maybe.

ibuzzard 01-08-2013 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by manlikesford (Post 12691295)
It is not attached to anything and looks like it was added by the previous owner. It is also old, by the way the construction of it looks. It seems to be fairly large for a power brake unit, but maybe.

I have a hydrovac unit, if you want to email a photo to me through the FTE site, I could verify. They are not small.

Better yet, just Google hydro vac, click on images, a bunch of photos will come up.

THartman 01-08-2013 09:33 PM

imageshack.us lets you upload pictures. You can just post the link here once you upload.

manlikesford 01-09-2013 10:11 AM

Kewpie doll goes to Ibuzzard for figuring out the mystery item. It is a bendix Hydrovac unit. I am going to take it off and see if I can sell it on Ebay for a million dollars or less. It looks to be in good condition, but don't know if it works as it is not hooked up to anything. Thanks to all the responders.

spurredon 01-09-2013 06:37 PM

Steve (Buzz), is a "Kewpie Doll", look at his avatar! :)

GB SISSON 01-09-2013 08:03 PM

and all this time I thought he was a little majorette....:-huh He's probably a big burly dude. I better be careful......

ibuzzard 01-09-2013 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by spurredon (Post 12694889)
Steve (Buzz), is a "Kewpie Doll", look at his avatar! :)

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 12695292)
and all this time I thought he was a little majorette....:-huh He's probably a big burly dude. I better be careful......

I strive to be all things to all people.......

theodore/teddy 01-09-2013 09:27 PM

I thought he was a motivational speaker!

spurredon 01-10-2013 07:28 PM

I take back anything I said about him now as I see he is going thru "Julie withdraw", again.

ibuzzard 01-11-2013 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by spurredon (Post 12699010)
I take back anything I said about him now as I see he is going thru "Julie withdraw", again.

I've had many things said about me, and been called many unflattering things.

Try as I might, I cannot convince my wife to cease and desist.

MLF, glad you figured it out. It will not bring much on the Bay, because you have to figure it will need rebuilding, which is not cheap. Shipping is also not inexpensive. I would recommend you keep it, if you are going to remain mostly stock. Don't trash it, at any rate, as someone will need it.

manlikesford 01-11-2013 10:12 AM

Ibuzz, I will put it in my collection pile, which is getting pretty big. The scrap metal guy is watering at the mouth to get to that metal pile. So much for my dream of selling it for a million dollars and using it towards my F100 :(. Thanks again for the help.

ibuzzard 01-11-2013 12:12 PM

Well, don't throw it away. Someone wanting to do a stock build will want it. If you have to have it out of your way, I would buy it just to save it.

Most guys who want power brakes, will put a dual circuit brake master cylinder with the firewall mount booster, instead of the stock frame or fender-mount booster. But some fool who holds to the ideal of staying mostly , like me, stock will eventually come along. While they don't usually sell for much - I paid 35.00 for mine - they are not that easy to find. And they will cost a bit to have someone go through it. If you have the room, hold on to it.