Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   97 ford expedition turns over idles rough then dies. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1214609-97-ford-expedition-turns-over-idles-rough-then-dies.html)

97expygirl 01-05-2013 11:57 AM

97 ford expedition turns over idles rough then dies.

I have a 97 ford expedition the 5.4L 4wd. Recently it felt like it was sputtering especially when taking off from a stop sign it would take a minute to get up to speed and shake a little bit. The problem seemed to get worse and the check engine light never came on. the other day I was driving it and it was shaking worse and felt like it had no power the check engine light came on and was flashing. I was about 15 miles away from home and had to drive it home. I went slow and the check engine light stopped flashing for 5 miles and came on again. I got it home and parked it. My SO was convinced it needed a tune up so we got all the spark plugs and boots and had them replaced. When we went to start the truck it would turn over and then die unless you kept your foot on the gas. So far we have checked all the hoses those are fine we checked all the spark plugs making sure they were in right. we have checked 4 of the COPS im not sure which ones im assuming the ones that are easiest to check. Ive been reading on here that people with the same issue have had COPs out or their wires out? does this sound like the issue. I talked to the guy at autozone and he for one scared me by saying that the flashing check engine light meant internal damage to the motor and said that if it was a coil pack the truck wouldn't turn over at all and would not idle for even a few seconds? Idk if this is true? The guy at autozone said to buy some air flow sensor? so I did but Im convinced its the coil pack so before I put the new sensor in and have it non returnable id like to have a few ideas or someone who can back up what im saying with a solution. thanks so much to who ever replies this is my only vehicle and I cant just write it off as not working I need my truck back! Ive owned it for 2 yrs and have never had an issue. I forgot to mention it has 187k miles on it.. idk if that makes a difference. oh weve also cleaned the throttle body sensor? changed the fuel filter and lucas fuel injector cleaner though it. Thanks for your help.

c_hohensee 01-05-2013 12:37 PM

The flashing check engine light means you have a bad misfire. Have you had the codes read? This would tell you which cylinder was misfiring. If you have not had them read, do so and report back with the number or numbers. Autozone should scan them for free.

97expygirl 01-05-2013 02:49 PM

I cant get it to autozone or riebes or any of those places unfortunately. Also I was told that autozone did not do that anymore because they were putting smog places out of business? so I should have the other cops checked before I put this other piece in?

97expygirl 01-05-2013 02:57 PM

the piece I got was a tba valve? thank you for your help btw

pdqford 01-05-2013 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by 97expygirl (Post 12678348)
The guy at autozone said to buy some air flow sensor? so I did but Im convinced its the coil pack

I wouldn't throw any more parts at it or convince yourself what the problem is until you get the computer codes read. That's the only way I know of to figure out why the check engine light is coming on.

See if you can borrow, rent, or buy a scan tool to get the codes read.