Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Navigator with 6.2L V8 from a SVT Raptor? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1213692-navigator-with-6-2l-v8-from-a-svt-raptor.html)

GoFar 01-01-2013 04:58 PM

Navigator with 6.2L V8 from a SVT Raptor?

So I am planning on making the transition from my well-served Expedition Limited into a 07+ Navigator in the upcoming months. By selling my Expedition, and buying the said Navigator will save me an extra $6,000. The catch here is that the Navigator will be salvaged, but with no airbag deployment or frame damage (basically bolt-on components damaged).

I would then use the $6,000 to do a complete engine overhaul by taking the engine from a SVT Raptor and setting it inside the Navigator. Considering the F150 shares the same platform as the Navigator, I would assume it's possible to swap engines without any complications (like replacing transmissions). Yes, gas mileage on the 6.2L is terrible, but I'm not concerned.

Is this proposition any good in the long term?

eddiemoney 01-02-2013 08:01 AM

As long as you are versed in electrical goodies it shouldn't be the worst thing ever. Also you might check to see what exactly runs off the computers; I don't know if locks, anything behind the dash, etc runs off the same ECU as the engine.

5.4T 01-02-2013 09:42 AM

could just supercharge it :-roll

gpfarrell 01-02-2013 11:05 AM

Sounds like a cool idea.

I've never seen any compelling supercharger applications for the Navigator. Edelbrock was supposed to have one soon, but I grew tired of checking the "Free Beer Tomorrow" sign.

Frankly, I've found that with the 6-speed, an aggressive right foot and just a bit of planning, my 4wd Navi-L gets along just fine. It's not fast... and I really like fast... but it's fast enough that I've decided to just leave it alone.

Good luck and keep up posted!

pgonza2723 01-02-2013 11:05 AM

Sounds like more trouble then it's worth. Would go with the boosted route as well and call it a day.

5.4T 01-03-2013 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by gpfarrell (Post 12666610)
Sounds like a cool idea.

I've never seen any compelling supercharger applications for the Navigator. Edelbrock was supposed to have one soon, but I grew tired of checking the "Free Beer Tomorrow" sign.

Frankly, I've found that with the 6-speed, an aggressive right foot and just a bit of planning, my 4wd Navi-L gets along just fine. It's not fast... and I really like fast... but it's fast enough that I've decided to just leave it alone.

Good luck and keep up posted!

Mine is 2wd cant heavy foot mines the rear will come over and take a peak at the front XD.......not 07 tho :-down

gpfarrell 01-03-2013 08:20 AM

Mine hooks & books in 2wd... only mentioned the 4wd because of the associated weight penalty.

mudder460 01-07-2013 03:11 AM

Some food for though!

Whipple Industries

GoFar 01-07-2013 12:10 PM

Colorado isn't very friendly when it comes to American V8's. I think I'm getting closer to 180-210WHP with my Expedition in Colorado depending where I'm at. Forced induction solves that dramatically, but as to how much boost that engine can take, I have no clue.

A Whipple supercharger can give me ~465BHP (which translates to 290-310WHP in Colorado) which would cost as much as the swap, and with better performance figures. I could really push it and gain about 5-10WHP and find myself a carbon fiber driveshaft (that ought to be fun!).

The problem with the supercharger is how much stress it would put on my block. Surely, 8 pounds of boost couldn't hurt a fly, but with the supercharger comes constant oil changes, a professional to tune the car.

I'll keep you guys posted about what I plan on doing. I don't think I'll be doing that swap anymore haha.

Lubbockguy1979 01-15-2013 11:44 PM

Why not look at the sts turbo kits? It would be better on mpgs and have good throttle response. Due to the remote mount the charge air is cooler as well. As for what the motor can handle look at what the 4.6 and 5.4 mustangs are handling. That should get you a pretty good ballpark.