Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arkansas Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum175/)
-   -   Winch bumper info and some diesel advice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1210995-winch-bumper-info-and-some-diesel-advice.html)

Derfus 12-19-2012 07:18 PM

Winch bumper info and some diesel advice

Its been a while since I've posted. How is everyone? I never got the diesel I was after, life got in the way and my gun whoring got in the way but now I'm back to messing with my truck. I recently bought a winch bumper off a local guy but it was in pieces. He said it came off his 78 bronco and my truck is a 78 so it should mount right up, right? I've yet to go buy all the bolts to put it back together but I've got it kinda laid out in the garage floor. I gave a whopping $35 for it do even if it's wrong I won't feel too bad.

Second is some diesel advice. My parents are up in North Dakota and he drives a little 4x4 Tacoma. Last night he was driving back to the hotel and at the top of a hill a gust of wind blew him off the road as he hit a slick patch. He's now ready to upgrade to a F250. He said he wants a "program truck". Any advice on what to get or what to avoid? He has a 31 ft camper he pulls and there would be a diesel tank in the back. My folks will be in Jonesboro most of next week and down in Brinkley the week after that. Any recommended dealerships?

zhilton 12-22-2012 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Derfus (Post 12617976)
Second is some diesel advice. My parents are up in North Dakota and he drives a little 4x4 Tacoma. Last night he was driving back to the hotel and at the top of a hill a gust of wind blew him off the road as he hit a slick patch. He's now ready to upgrade to a F250. He said he wants a "program truck". Any advice on what to get or what to avoid? He has a 31 ft camper he pulls and there would be a diesel tank in the back. My folks will be in Jonesboro most of next week and down in Brinkley the week after that. Any recommended dealerships?

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. It depends on how much they're willing to spend purchasing a truck. The 7.3L are getting long in the tooth...finding a good one will be tough. The 6.0L aren't getting any younger either...the '06 and '07 are pretty low key trucks as far as emission engines go and they might be able to find one with low miles and in decent shape. Only the '07 might still be under warranty coverage if they haven't exceeded 100k. I've never driven a 6.4L power truck ('08-'10)...but I haven't heard much positive about them as far as Ford/Navistar getting them right either. Or at least in stock form there have been some issues that I wouldn't own one. Now the 6.7L ('11 to current)...other than their $10k fuel system...they're pretty good so far. There have been some issues with folks having to replace the injectors and fuel pump because of crappy fuel. Ford will NOT warranty system failures because of fuel issues....PERIOD. The question comes back to how much are they willing to spend? That will determine how new they'll want to go. As far as dealerships in Central Ark...out of my territory.

Derfus 12-23-2012 08:38 AM

Thanks for the reply! I was starting to think inwas the smelly kid. I told him if he wanted something in the last year model or so he would be dropping some coin and he didn't seem to flinch at it. Just from looking online I'm guessing he will be shopping in the mid 30's. As far as which motor I may be way off but I hadn't heard anything good about the 6.0. Just local farmers and friends talking but everyone of them either sold and went back to the 7.3 or to the 6.4. I guess it's going to boil down to him and I both wrapping our heads around they don't last forever like they used to and turning your own wrenches isn't as easy as I was either. There are a few 7.3's on CL from used dealers with 100-150k miles but I have a hard time buying that and a harder time with the money that they are asking for them. They should be in town this evening. I'll pick his brain and see what he has in mind. Thanks again for the info!!

cookie88 12-23-2012 11:50 AM

My uncle bought a 6.7 truck. It's ridiculous how strong that motor is. Pulls like a chipped 7.3. The 6.4 is strong too, but is a fuel hog..... Like 10-12 mpg empty

78 bronco bumper will bolt up to any 73-79 half ton.

zhilton 12-24-2012 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Derfus (Post 12629883)
Thanks for the reply! I was starting to think inwas the smelly kid.

I wouldn't say that, it's more of I hadn't looked in the chapter thread in a couple of days/week. Guess I've been busier in real life than I've realized.

Originally Posted by Derfus (Post 12629883)
I told him if he wanted something in the last year model or so he would be dropping some coin and he didn't seem to flinch at it. Just from looking online I'm guessing he will be shopping in the mid 30's. As far as which motor I may be way off but I hadn't heard anything good about the 6.0. Just local farmers and friends talking but everyone of them either sold and went back to the 7.3 or to the 6.4. I guess it's going to boil down to him and I both wrapping our heads around they don't last forever like they used to and turning your own wrenches isn't as easy as I was either. There are a few 7.3's on CL from used dealers with 100-150k miles but I have a hard time buying that and a harder time with the money that they are asking for them.

Wow, more hate toward the 6.0L:'( While I own a 6.0L (would own another one if I has a use for two)...and I'm rather bias, I will repeat the 6.0L is a good engine. They're just a little different than the 7.3L they replaced in the SuperDuties. The 7.3L isn't/wasn't subject to the emission standards the 6.0L had to meet. With that said, there is no EGR or EGR cooler that have been the cause of so many problems. Add to it, Ford runs the 6.0L hotter (higher HP) than the 365VGT that Navistar uses in school buses, tow trucks and other 5 ton trucks...both are the exact same engine. That's why I say if your going to own a 6.0L...use the extreme conditions maintenance plan listed in the owner's manual. Oil & filter changes every 5k miles, fuel filters every 10k miles; check your batteries no less than twice a year for good fluid levels and voltage/amperage; and use only OEM spec fluids & filters. If your folks what to drop the $$$ on a new/near new 6.7L truck...I say more power to them. To replace my 2WD crew cab 6.0L powered F250 Lariat would set me back $45k according to my local dealership. They're not cheap, but taken care of...they'll live a long time.

Now I could start some crap about how a stock 6.0L will out work a stock 7.3L and get better fuel mileage (similar equipped trucks). But I'm not that kind of guy.;)

Originally Posted by cookie88 (Post 12630548)
My uncle bought a 6.7 truck. It's ridiculous how strong that motor is. Pulls like a chipped 7.3.

Or a conservatively tuned 6.0L}>

Originally Posted by cookie88 (Post 12630548)
The 6.4 is strong too, but is a fuel hog..... Like 10-12 mpg empty

The terrible fuel mileage was one of the negative things I've read/heard about with the 6.4L powered trucks. I've read it's caused by the DPF regenerative cleaning. I also read that while the 6.7L needs to do the same thing to clean it's DPF...it does it slightly differently and is able to conserve some of that high dollar fuel oil.

Derfus 12-24-2012 02:15 PM

Well I can't do much other than repeat what I've heard. I have to hit this forum to talk to guys in the know and get some info from folks who know. One of my best friends bought a 06 6.0 truck from a "friend" and couldnt keep it on the road. Always needing injectors or other stuff. Granted who knows how the truck was treated before he got it but I had heard similar stories from others and just figured it was common. I actually heard my dadm say he wanted to look at a dodge!! After I threatened to kick him out of my house, and all but threw a fit he hasn't mentioned it again ha ha. I'll pass on the info y'all have told me and we will see what he ends up with. I'm hoping he gets a very basic 250 since he isn't very good at keeping a truck nice. He stays up on all oill

Derfus 12-24-2012 02:17 PM

Well I can't do much other than repeat what I've heard. I have to hit this forum to talk to guys in the know and get some info from folks who know. One of my best friends bought a 06 6.0 truck from a "friend" and couldnt keep it on the road. Always needing injectors or other stuff. Granted who knows how the truck was treated before he got it but I had heard similar stories from others and just figured it was common. I actually heard my dadm say he wanted to look at a dodge!! After I threatened to kick him out of my house, and all but threw a fit he hasn't mentioned it again ha ha. I'll pass on the info y'all have told me and we will see what he ends up with. I'm hoping he gets a very basic 250 since he isn't very good at keeping a truck nice. He stays up on all oil and fluid changes but he's a rough ole bird. Thanks again for the info guys!! Merry Christmas!!!

zhilton 12-24-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Derfus (Post 12634648)
Well I can't do much other than repeat what I've heard. I have to hit this forum to talk to guys in the know and get some info from folks who know. One of my best friends bought a 06 6.0 truck from a "friend" and couldnt keep it on the road. Always needing injectors or other stuff. Granted who knows how the truck was treated before he got it but I had heard similar stories from others and just figured it was common.

That's just the issue...knowning where to look when your encountering issues. If they're loosing/replacing injectors allot, or even lost one...I would start with checking the fuel pressure before I started throwing $225 injectors at the truck. Low fuel pressure will smoke the 6.0L injectors in a heartbeat. Not 100% sure about the 7.3L (should since it's a HUEI engine)...but the injectors on the 6.0L need the fuel for lubrication. I could right a whole essay on what to look for depending on symptom when it comes to the 6.0L; but then I own/drive/repair one...so I've done my fair share of reading/wrenching on one over the years.

That is what is nice about a chapter like this...there are enough guys that own different engines that the odds are pretty good that there is someone already driving a similar engine and would have a good idea what might be the issue your facing.

cookie88 12-24-2012 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by zhilton
Or a conservatively tuned 6.0L

Right...... but with all the coolant staying inside.

zhilton 12-24-2012 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by cookie88 (Post 12635652)
Right...... but with all the coolant staying inside.

Ouch!:-X04

tojoski 12-24-2012 10:32 PM

Lol, I was just postulating some smart a** comment but I see scott beat me to it!

zhilton 12-24-2012 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by tojoski (Post 12636027)
Lol, I was just postulating some smart a** comment but I see scott beat me to it!

Is that the best you two can come up with? While I agree the OEM bolts are a joke...they worked just fine in the Navistar application. Ford just pushed the envelope a little too far with the 6.0L version.

cookie88 12-25-2012 09:59 AM

lol....far from it. I just didn't want to hurt your feelings on Christmas. ;)