Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Need a starting place for 6.0 Engine Issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1208973-need-a-starting-place-for-6-0-engine-issue.html)

ten.mile 12-10-2012 08:04 PM

Need a starting place for 6.0 Engine Issue

I’m hoping someone/s can help me find a starting place that make the most sense with my problem. Thank you for any suggestions!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Problem
· I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0 diesel engine. I’ve owned the truck for two years with no problems other than routine maintenance and repairs. The truck has been a pleasure to drive and a good work truck.
· Last week I made a 35 mile trip with no problems, the truck performed great as usually. Long story made short I now drive a school bus for this year to make some cash and only drive the truck once or so a week. This week I was going to make a short trip and noticed when I started the truck it had a very slight rough idle. But as a drove the truck and the engine temperature increase to normal range the idle became very rough and I had no power. I turn around and headed home.
· I next day I checked all the fluids, belts dash indicators but found no problems. So I started the truck up, it started fine, no smoke and had a smooth idle. So I took it down the road and again it started idling rough and lost power as it heated up. If I press the accelerator pedal down it slowly builds up speed and then will take off with plenty of power. I let of the accelerator off at 85 and it ran very rough for 1 minute or so.
· I had a one fourth of a tank fuel so I added Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner and filled up. I then when home and changed both fuel filters with Motor Craft parts. When online and read about the EGR. I took the EGR out and cleaned it which it needed. The then took the truck down the road. Again as the engine reached normal temperature it idle became rough and I lost power. I left the truck running and started looking around the engine. After a few minutes the engine stopped and would not start. I found depending on the time I let the engine cool it would be hard to start if I only waited 5 or 10 minutes or if I wait 60 minutes it starts and runs fine for a period of time.
<o:p></o:p>
Truck
· Ford F250 2004 Lariat Super Duty
· Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel FX4 Off Road
· Trailer towing package
· 6.0L V8 Diesel
· 5-speed diesel automatic transmission
· 3.73 ratio limited slip axle
· 114, 000 miles
· Shell RotellaT SAE 15W-40 oil with Lucas Oil stabilizer added
Symptoms
· Appears to be heat related
· Engine idles and runs fine when cold
· As engine temperature rises the idle become rough and engine loses power and will die.
· If engine is turned off when warm it may or may not start. If the engine starts if may idle rough and may have reduced power.
· No large amount of smoke is noticed
· No engine code errors when using a simple diagnostics meter
Attempts to Resolve Problem to Date
· Added Lucas Injector Cleaner and filled fuel tank
· Changed both fuel filters
· Cleaned EGR
· Checked all fluids, belts and no instrument lights on at dash
I spent a few hours online and found many things to check and more I read the more I was overwhelmed by the causes. So far it appears my problem could be:
· IPC
· IPR
· HPOP
· FICM
· posts on wire harness coverings and chamfers
· CKP
· CMP

Lou Braun 12-11-2012 05:39 PM

Recommend borrowing a scange 2 or similar reader. This would allow you to easily check your FICM readings and high pressure oil readings.

From your description, I'd suspect a high pressure oil leak, but this is all guess-work without reading the real values that a decent monitor will give you.

If you can beg, borrow, or steal a scangage 2, the folk here will willingly give you the information to use it. I'm a basic novice, others (Blade35 and many others) are experts in it's use. Some of the Ford techs here (free expert advice!) can tell you the easy ways to do the actual fix.

Lou Braun

Yahiko 12-11-2012 05:56 PM

You will get a better answer by coming over here and posting you questions.
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
The SGII is a very useful to have tool.

Sean :-drink