Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Upgrading Glow Plugs for 7.3 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1206568-upgrading-glow-plugs-for-7-3-a.html)

Luvmy7.3Ex 11-30-2012 11:30 AM

Upgrading Glow Plugs for 7.3

The Beast is slugglish to crank sometimes, it turns over but hesitates to start. I have 2 new OPTIMA Red Top batteries & a new starter. Was thinking about
up-grading OEM glow plugs & glow plug module to Diesel Rx ones. Has anyone ever used this brand of glow plugs & glow plug module? If so, how do they compare to OEM performance? Thx

Stewart_H 11-30-2012 12:38 PM

Do NOT use anything other than OEM Motorcraft glow plugs.

Riffraff Diesel: Motorcraft Glowplugs ZD-11

There's no better glow plug. No such thing as an upgrade when it comes to GP's.

Determine why your Ex is sluggish. Don't just throw parts at it.

Stewart

PS - Where are you located?

Stewart_H 11-30-2012 12:42 PM

I just checked their website and don't even see where they offer Glow Plug Control Modules, just Glow Plug Relays. So unless you've modded your Ex to use GPR's, you're gonna have to stick with the GPCM.

Stewart

Luvmy7.3Ex 11-30-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks Stewart_H, I will make sure I use OEM gp's for sure

F350-6 11-30-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Luvmy7.3Ex (Post 12543126)
Thanks Stewart_H, I will make sure I use OEM gp's for sure

If you're existing glow plug(s) are bad, you will get a check engine light and have a code stored. If you don't have a CEL, or a bunch of white smoke at start up, then replacing glow plugs won't solve your problem.

JumpinJoe 12-26-2012 03:55 PM

My the check engine light comes on and keeps coming back despite being cleared, so it looks like glow plug number 6 is at it again. Since I fixed the same problem 2 years ago with a used GPR, I figured it's time for the Guzzle GPR relay fix. Start my reading and it says that Exs and those with CA emissions can't do the mod - darn.

What to do next, I know, check FTE and search King of the SUVs because its an Ex specific 7.3 problem. The first search result heads me in the right direction:

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 12542129)
Do NOT use anything other than OEM Motorcraft glow plugs.

Riffraff Diesel: Motorcraft Glowplugs ZD-11

There's no better glow plug. No such thing as an upgrade when it comes to GP's.

Determine why your Ex is sluggish. Don't just throw parts at it.

Stewart

So, since I'm going with motorcraft all the way here, should I just replace the relay? Replace the cable to #6? Get someone to test the ohms on 6? Or, at 216K replace all 8 glow plugs (they've exceeded their useful lives)?

golfmedik 12-26-2012 03:59 PM

Stewart is right all the way. OEM glow plugs only! Just did mine when I put it wedges and re-ringed the injectors. Made a big difference. Didn't realize how tired they were:-X04

On EDIT: Take a look at your battery cables. I had to replace mine at 140K due to the cables corroding under the red covering. Mine had a similar problem that I thought was batteries. When I took the cable off, you could bend it and hear the copper fracturing on the inside. None of the corrosion could be seen. Again, buy only Ford cables if yours are doing this. It solved my problem.

Stewart_H 12-26-2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by JumpinJoe (Post 12640894)
... Since I fixed the same problem 2 years ago with a used GPR

Are you sure? 7.3L Excursions use a Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) not a Glow Plug Relay (GPR) unless of course the harness and PCM have been modified.

I figured it's time for the Guzzle GPR relay fix. Start my reading and it says that Exs and those with CA emissions can't do the mod - darn.
All 7.3L powered Excursions are compliant with California emissions. Unlike F250 and 350's with the 7.3L PSD, there is no California model.

So, since I'm going with motorcraft all the way here, should I just replace the relay?
Are you 100% sure you have a GPR?

Stewart

cameeks 12-26-2012 06:31 PM

I you go into the valve cover might as well replace them all. No point saving $30 on one side if you have to do it again.

Stewart_H 12-26-2012 08:12 PM

JJ, do you have a GPCM like in this pic...
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...0Underhood.jpg

Or a GPR like in this pic?
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ineSensors.jpg

Stewart

F350-6 12-26-2012 08:25 PM

A GPR can't set a code and tell you that #6 is bad. Stewart is right, if you replaced a relay, you replaced the AIH. Now it's time to fix the GPCM (or the wiring or #6 glow plug if it doesn't ohm out correctly)

JumpinJoe 12-27-2012 05:35 PM

Confirmed, thanks to the pictures - I have a Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) and a AIH Relay. Can't remember which one was replaced last time. But from the looks of it, I'd say the AIH is original to her. I'll start with that and work with it. Thanks Everyone.

Snowseeker 12-28-2012 08:58 AM

Tried to rep you Stewart but I am in rep jail yet.