Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   96 7.3 diesel starting problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1206195-96-7-3-diesel-starting-problems.html)

D4wheeler3 11-28-2012 05:11 PM

96 7.3 diesel starting problems

Alright guys new member so take it easy on me but im at wits end with this. My trucks not starting again. It cranks and will jump like it wants to start but nothing anymore. Last year I replaced both batteries, Starter, Glow plug wires(valve cover gasquets), starter relay, and glow plug relay. I have done regular oil changes and change my fuel filter every oil change. I changed the oil last month as needed as well as the glow plugs. As its been getting cold the trucks been taking forever to start doing many many key cycles and alot of cranking. So thats when I changed my glow plugs and it didnt seem to help. Then I searched for possible problems on the forums and saw alot of people saying CPS because I was having very speratic start stop issues but then it went away. I changed that yesterday but I had the truck plugged in all day and batteries on the charger. So it fired right up and sounded great. It will start ok if I have it plugged in all night but then when Im parked at work all day then it wont start. I tryed to start it today but nothing, just cranks. I put a screwdriver across the glow plug relay to test it but then tried starting it and it sounded like to bears wrestling under my hood (and not in a good way) It was trying to start but sounded terrible. Im lost guys and want my truck back. sorry for the long long message just wanted to make sure I supplied enough info. PLEASE HELP!!!

Red97350 11-28-2012 05:16 PM

I would check your glow plug relay. What kind did you put in when you changed it? Check both posts on your gpr after you turn the key on. One is always hot and the other is powered by the pcm after you turn the key on. You want to see battery voltage on both of those terminals.

Red

Action4478 11-28-2012 07:18 PM

Jumping the GPR

Originally Posted by D4wheeler3 (Post 12534596)
Alright guys new member so take it easy on me but im at wits end with this. My trucks not starting again. It cranks and will jump like it wants to start but nothing anymore. Last year I replaced both batteries, Starter, Glow plug wires(valve cover gasquets), starter relay, and glow plug relay. I have done regular oil changes and change my fuel filter every oil change. I changed the oil last month as needed as well as the glow plugs. As its been getting cold the trucks been taking forever to start doing many many key cycles and alot of cranking. So thats when I changed my glow plugs and it didnt seem to help. Then I searched for possible problems on the forums and saw alot of people saying CPS because I was having very speratic start stop issues but then it went away. I changed that yesterday but I had the truck plugged in all day and batteries on the charger. So it fired right up and sounded great. It will start ok if I have it plugged in all night but then when Im parked at work all day then it wont start. I tryed to start it today but nothing, just cranks. I put a screwdriver across the glow plug relay to test it but then tried starting it and it sounded like to bears wrestling under my hood (and not in a good way) It was trying to start but sounded terrible. Im lost guys and want my truck back. sorry for the long long message just wanted to make sure I supplied enough info. PLEASE HELP!!!

Jumping the GPR takes that out of the equation . Without additional data I would guess you have a poppet issue . How many miles on the injectors ?...

You can pull the valve covers & inspect the injector spill spouts when cold ..

Action4478 11-28-2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by D4wheeler3 (Post 12534596)

fordpride 11-28-2012 08:48 PM

I'm with Rick. Sounds like worn injectors. You can check this with a feeler gauge

D4wheeler3 11-29-2012 11:50 AM

I bought the truck at 250,000 miles and its at 302,000 now. Im not sure how many miles are on the injectors? How long of a project is it to change the injectors? Where should I get them from?

Awitte58 11-29-2012 12:06 PM

Assuming the POs were like most people if something goes wrong injector wise they seem to just replace the bad ones with remans or new. Everyone is different, but I would assume some or all could be original.

Jim @ Rosewood diesel shop is the man for injectors IMHO.
He is a sponsor of our forum and at the top right of the thread above the "Rate Thread" option and below the "log out" option you will see a link you can click.

D4wheeler3 11-30-2012 05:40 PM

How exactly would u check them with a feeler gauge? what spec should they be at?

fordpride 11-30-2012 06:29 PM

Pull the solenoid off the too of the injector and you'll see a square plate(armature plate) and see if you can get a .002 gauge under the armature plate.

A new inject has .004 .002 is the end of its life.

Action4478 11-30-2012 07:05 PM

http://www.dieselpro.ca/Poppet%20Valve.pdf.................................

Red97350 11-30-2012 09:35 PM

Thanks Rick for the reading, very informational.

Red