Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum171/)
-   -   Convert my '00 F250SD gasser to diesel? Why not?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1205758-convert-my-00-f250sd-gasser-to-diesel-why-not.html)

JetFuelBurner 11-26-2012 09:48 PM

Convert my '00 F250SD gasser to diesel? Why not??

So my '00 SD is pushing 150K. Been very dependable but I've been beginning to look at the current offerings from ford as I plan on buying a 1-2yr used truck around 2015. I was looking at the new Ecoboost but it seems like you have to drive like the little 'ol lady from Pasadena to get close to the advertised mpg.

For a bit more, I could get another SD and the 6.2 gas seems to do the same mileage wise as the wife's 2010 Expy. Towing with the Expy we get about 8mpg@65mph. We have a 27'/5k TT. We will likely trade up to a bigger TT or possibly a 5er in a few years.

I do a mix of local and highway driving. We do a half dozen long road trips a year (500mi ea way). Do I need. Diesel? No. I was thinking a re-manufactured pre power stroke. I have access to a tranny and rear out of a mid to late 80s ford diesel. Can't recall which but my father-inLaw referred to the trams as "fords bullet proof trans".

I'm looking at the price for an Ecoboost F150 FX4 SC HD tow pkg, HD payload and I'm stunned. I'm hearing real world non tow mileage in the 18-19mpg range at best. Towing it matches the wife's Expys 8mpg (allegedly). You give up a lot with the EB F150 to get in my opinion marginally better mileage over the 5.4 expy. You take the cost of the Ecoboost or the 6.2 SD, subtract what I'd be able to sell the current '00 SD and that's still a very large chunk of cash...even assuming upgrading to a 2yr old used truck. I don't do new anymore. Can't take 25-30% of the price and flush it when you drive it off the lot.

The power train swap I would have to farm out for sure. I can do suspension upgrades, minor body work. Upgraded interior I can do.

I like the idea of having one of the early "stump puller" diesels and an overhauled truck that'll go another million miles. I also like the earlier "medium duty" diesels as you can run farm diesel, natural gas, bio diesel, etc with a lot less hassle than the newer motors...or so I've been led to believe. Call it the doomsday prepper in me.

So...why not?

Look at the price of a new EB F150 4X4 or 6.2 SD 4X4, take 30% off the new price. Now take off my '00 SD 4X4 Ext cab short box. What's that leave you? $20-25K?

I know a few people who really know trucks and really know diesels. One specializes in fords to boot. I haven't run this hair brained scheme past any of them yet. I just got a wild hair up my butt while out flying today. Now you all know what we think about up front for hours on end!

FORDF250HDXLT 11-30-2012 12:29 AM

you shouldn't run into much issues putting the old idi in a SD if you have good help.
if you can get her properly mounted in there,the hard part is done.you just need to wire up the few little things.the trans you have isn't worth putting in.the description you posted means C6.it was strong,and great for it's time.but far outdated now.it's just the old 3 speed auto.no locking converter or OD.this makes them higher cost than the E40D when you consider operating costs by a large margin.
so you'll need an diesel E40D and ecm to run it for sure,or a manual diesel zf5 if you'd rather.
if you can get a big radiator in there,or just watch coolant temps to see how it does.
you'll need a return line and no internal fuel pump,cus they are too high pressure.
you could make it happen im sure,but you know idi trucks are not exactly expensive right? would be a cool swap.worth doing.id love to see it done.

85e150 11-30-2012 12:49 AM

Cummins with an NV4500.....serving suggestion.

nitrogen 12-10-2012 08:29 PM

so right now your truck is 12 years old, you convert it to a nice 7.3 powerstroke, and its still 12 years old with all the rest of the stuff half worn out. in 2 years you have a 14 year old franken-truck v.s. a 2 year old EB or 6.2. if you go the conversion plan on paint/rust repair, full powertrain and brake overhaul, sooner or later. add that into the conversion cost and its not looking like such a great deal. while its not dependent on being less than 2-3 years old, the overall reliability of the vehicle is important. Don't believe me? just spend all the cash to do the conversion then have anything breakdown while on holidays, and ask her if she thinks it was worth it. Never mind, she WILL TELL YOU :)

therifleman556 12-10-2012 09:25 PM

Plenty of folks have done repowers on semi tractors when the motor bites the dust at one and a half million miles and run for another million. Even figuring maintenance on a 14 year old truck, including overhauls on wear out items still doesn't come close to the $800 a month for a new truck. Add to this that once your done doing this surgery your going to know the vehicle backwards and inside out. I love the idea of a super duty with a mechanical diesel. The IDI is a fantastic motor, tough as nails and simple as a hammer but it would surely need a good turbo and fuel setup to move you around with a good load on. Your truck has the advantage of easily accommodating an intercooler since the p-strokes came with them.

Either that or a 12v cummins, both solid choices.

21411 12-11-2012 03:28 PM

ive heard more about cummins repower. and believe there are "kits" out there.

i'd sell the sd, buy a nice older truck for the long trips and heavy work and what ever you want for running around town. (fox body)

bbender85 12-18-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod (Post 12540417)
Cummins with an NV4500.....serving suggestion.

bingo. wanted to do that to my last truck. plenty of swaps documented out there and even parts you can buy for the job.

The Eddie 12-31-2012 02:07 PM

Do Your Homework on Emissions

I'm down here in Houston, and drive a'91 F-250, originally gasoline, repowered with a mechanical early '98 12V Cummins.

When I lived in the Soviet State of California, the rule of thumb with engine swaps was same year or newer engine and no heavy-duty truck engines in cars (or lighter trucks). This was mid-'70's and since California is please to call inself "the leader in advanced regulation" I 'spect it's gotten stricter since since then.

I live in Texas now, and annually we have to go pass an emissions test--and this year, 2012, I had to go to four shops before I was able to pass the test. Granted, the first three didn't want to screw around with a 1991-level vehicle ('95-up only, because '95-up have OBD-II). Previously, diesel-powered vehicles only had to pass a safety test, headlights, brakes, horn, that sort of thing.

The 4th shop was obviously new and hungry; because my truck has period add-on chrome emblems saying "diesel" on the fenders and was pre-OBDII, and was fait accompli a diesel, therefore it didn't have to be smog-tested and he passed the truck with only a safety test (never mind the $20 I slipped him) :-X03.

I'm really concerned about nest year 'cause I can't see this sort of crap easing up any :-arrgh, and before you go all in I'd look into your state's present and future emission requirements.

Also, don't forget that Big Brother has mandated ULSD
fuel (less lubricity) is phasing out ZZDP (crankcase oil)-- both affect moving parts, like mechanical pumps and non-roller camshaft followers.

Both of these are "work-arounds", but are additional hassle you need to be aware of.

Eddie

Ford_Six 12-31-2012 05:49 PM

The EPA rules are the engine has to be the same year or newer, and available in that model truck. If you are in an emissions testing area, you will need to follow that and do any associated paperwork with the state. If you are in a non-emissions area, then there is a lot you can get away with but certain situations can result in people giving you a really hard time (federal or state police, insurance adjusters, etc).
I always tell people that after a major mod like this, the vehicle very well may not be legal for road operation. What you do with it once I walk away is up to you.

The Eddie 01-01-2013 01:26 PM

Gotcha!

There ya have it...change-by-the-minute regulation is "why not".

Here's a pretty subtle mechanical "gotcha" to watch out for, if you go with a Cummins B inline-six (ask me how I knows this:-banghead):

The B5.9 fits rilly well lengthwise into the engine compart and four-inch-width recess in the firewall of my '91; plenty of room side-to-side, and front-to-back; the serpentine-belt accessory drive really helps rad clearance.

I measured length really well, width was a given, and height...ooops.

The B is tall engine, and while it snugged cylinder #6 back into that F/W recess rilly nicely...it didn't leave room enuff on top to pull the #6 rocker cover off; I haven't been able to reset valve lash or polish the aluminum rocker cover yet (sniff).

Don't 2K-level SuperDuties (yours) recess the engine even more?

Eddie

Ford are best 01-09-2013 10:16 PM

I am in the process of putting a 6.0 diesel in a super duty that had a V-10.

I had to change all the wiring , fuel tank, and driveshaft.

good luck with your project.