Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pennsylvania Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum182/)
-   -   From Texas Moving to PA (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1205319-from-texas-moving-to-pa.html)

texaskid22 11-25-2012 10:11 AM

From Texas Moving to PA

I have lived in Texas all my life and I will be moving to PA because I love the views and the people have been so nice every time I've been up there.

My worries... I have a 1997 F250 5.8L single cab 2wd automatic. I love this truck to death but I am scared about being limited of what I can do up there. I started looking for a 4wd F250 but I can't seem to find one I like. How will my truck do up there in the snow? I have pos tires but will be replacing them with Michellin LTX M/S's if I can use this truck up there. I currently use it for hauling scrap metal, towing junk cars on tow dollies, and pulling trailers.

texaskid22 11-25-2012 10:17 AM

http://i48.tinypic.com/otqh61.jpg

MRUGG 11-25-2012 08:27 PM

Take a truck inner tube cut it in half tie one end shut and fill shut on both the tie the end shut then place on or as close as possible to the wheel Wells in the bed. You should be alright until you get settled in and find a good 4x4.

grumpy hvacr 11-26-2012 09:20 AM

With studded snow tires and a few hundred pounds of weight in the back (over the rear axle), your truck should do a fair job in snow up to 6 inches. Personally I would have snow tires on the front to help with stopping and turning.

Honestly, you would need to find a empty, snow filled parking lot to get a feel for how well the truck starts, stops, and turns in the snow.

Question: have you driven in snow before?

thomabb 11-26-2012 09:38 AM

Grumpy poses a valid question. Have you driven in snow before? It's a different world. Laws of physics don't always apply.

Where in PA are you moving to? I am in western PA north of Pittsburgh. Honestly, there are not very many days where there is snow covering the roads here. You just have to be ready for the few days where you will be snowed in. Bed weight and maybe tire chains at the ready would be good ideas.

If you are planning on being in central PA, find a 4wd. Not a LOT of snow, but in combination with the terrain you will be glad to have the extra shifter down there.

texaskid22 11-26-2012 11:43 AM

I've never even made a snow man... down here in Texas we had our first bit of snow that collected on the hoods of cars. We stopped working at the shop I was at to have a snow ball fight, and to answer your questions more accurately I have never driven in the snow before, I am a experienced driver when it comes to pushing the limits of vehicles in low traction situations, turning into skids for example.

I'll be moving to Pottsville, Pa.

I currently have a 30 Gallon compressor/13hp gas engine combination bolted in the back of my bed ahead of the rear axle and two side tool boxes that go across the rear axle. I also have a ramsey 9,000lb winch after the air compressor w/100ft of cable.

I wanted to have Michellin LTX M/S all the way around and get some studded snow tires for the rear for winter, do you think the LTX will be decent enough for the front? I was also thinking I could try and get a electric locker worst case scenario if 2 wheel drive is needed instead of 1 wheel drive.

thomabb 11-26-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by texaskid22 (Post 12525705)
I have never driven in the snow before

Find yourself a 4wd. I'm not being condescending or doubting your driving skills. You can probably suffer through with 2wd, but trust me you will be much better off with 4wd in that part of the state.

On a side note, I woke up one morning in Waco to local news reports that a snow storm had caused the city to shut down. No one allowed on the roads except emergency vehicles. I look out the hotel window to see a dusting, not even deep enough to cover the grass. I guess I was in culture shock. Here that isn't even considered accumulation. The state wouldn't even have sent out the salt trucks here in PA for that much snow.

grumpy hvacr 11-26-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by texaskid22 (Post 12525705)
I've never even made a snow man... down here in Texas we had our first bit of snow that collected on the hoods of cars. We stopped working at the shop I was at to have a snow ball fight, and to answer your questions more accurately I have never driven in the snow before, I am a experienced driver when it comes to pushing the limits of vehicles in low traction situations, turning into skids for example.

I currently have a 30 Gallon compressor/13hp gas engine combination bolted in the back of my bed ahead of the rear axle and two side tool boxes that go across the rear axle. I also have a ramsey 9,000lb winch after the air compressor w/100ft of cable.

I wanted to have Michellin LTX M/S all the way around and get some studded snow tires for the rear for winter, do you think the LTX will be decent enough for the front? I was also thinking I could try and get a electric locker worst case scenario if 2 wheel drive is needed instead of 1 wheel drive.

The Michellin tires might be ok in the front when new. I'm from the other end of the state and I believe your going to get more snow where your going to move to than I would. Hopefully someone from that end of the state will chime in.

Sounds like you got the weight in the truck covered, and a limited slip diff would help out. Once the snow flies, find yourself a empty parking lot and see how the truck acts.

Remember, going in the snow is one thing, you also have to learn how to stop.

And if the roads are icy, stay in.

texaskid22 11-28-2012 09:33 AM

Looking for my 351 E40D 4x4 F250. Don't like working on diesels unless its a DT466.

2000silverbullet 11-29-2012 07:17 PM

I'm from AZ, and up until I moved to PA about 7 years ago, I didn't have much snow driving experience with exception to the parking lots at ski slopes. It's tricky, and I wouldn't suggest learning how the truck (and yourself) react to snow covered roads in a 2wd vehicle.

The truck I have now came with a set of those Michelin's, and while they're a great tire in the winter, I don't know that I'd get far without 4wd. As mentioned, most of the times penndot takes care of the roads fairly well but sometimes you can't avoid it and end up driving on snow covered roads. The first hill you hit may be a big unnerving if/when the back end starts sliding around... In the beginning, I'd leave my truck in 2wd until I got stuck, just to see how far I'd get. Nowadays I just leave my hubs locked all winter and flip the switch when things look at all hairy.

Do yourself a favor and get a 4wd if you can. BTW, my wife's uncle lives in Pottsville. :)

texaskid22 12-07-2012 08:21 PM

my budget of my truck +1500 for a 4x4 truck has not been going good and I need to be moved up to PA by Christmas. I really love my F250, its been very good to me. Can I run snow chains and studded tires to get me by? I have a beater civic I can drive that's front wheel drive. I also might be able to make new friends up there and convert my f250 to 4wd during the summer.

2000silverbullet 12-08-2012 05:45 AM

The way winter's going now, you won't have any problems. It's been reaching the 50's this week.

If you need to be here, then better to do it sooner than later. It's only going to get colder and conditions will worsen before they get better. Just deal with the 4wd after the fact, and honestly, your civic will be fine to drive and probably get you further than the 2wd f250. I have a buddy with a front wheel drive saturn and another with a front wheel drive mercury cougar that have made it through conditions I never would have guessed their cars would make it through.

Converting a 2wd to 4wd wouldn't be very cost effective, but again, something you can deal with down the road...

Oldtrucknut7077 12-08-2012 07:03 AM

These guys are steering you in the right direction. There are plenty of trucks out there for sale and you should be able to find the right deal for you. Moving to Schuylkill County will provide you some challenges with a 2WD but they are pretty good at keeping the roads cleaned in that area. I do work in Schuylkill Co. several times a year and it could be snowing and you drive a few miles down the road and it quits. Welcome to the "snow belt". lol

Some things you will need to be prepared for is, when you switch your vehicle registration to PA, you will need to deal with getting your truck state inspected. That is generally supposed to be done within 10 days of residency/moving here but I've seen a couple of cars on my block with out of state tags for over a year now.

2000silverbullet 12-08-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtrucknut7077 (Post 12572646)
Some things you will need to be prepared for is, when you switch your vehicle registration to PA, you will need to deal with getting your truck state inspected. That is generally supposed to be done within 10 days of residency/moving here but I've seen a couple of cars on my block with out of state tags for over a year now.

Yeah, I think I went 8 months before finally finding a shop that would pass my 2000. The truck was too high, nobody would pass it. Well, almost nobody. :D

Oldtrucknut7077 12-08-2012 07:45 AM

LOL, I just found one of those "good" inspection places. The guy I usually go to wouldn't touch the Excursion, even tho everything is legal and within PA written specs.

This guy even told me its legal for the tires to stick out from the fenders (this came directly from PennDot's station inspector), its up to the cops to decide if they don't like it or not.