Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   RAM over f450????? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1205063-ram-over-f450.html)

redz284u 11-23-2012 11:43 PM

RAM over f450?????

I'm looking at buying my first diesel truck. I've ha a 86 f150, have a 04 5.4 f150, a 94 f350. All gas. Never had problems with any of them. I'm looking to buy my first diesel. Here's the thing. While doing my research (edmunds, forums, and personal opinions) it seems like the ford diesel has way more problems than the RAMs. There are more comments like, radiators blowing up, engines with "internal failure" that ford is not willing to fix, trucks just dieing in kiddle of road, ect. Ect.

The RAM however SEEMS so have its owners and the review experts pretty happy. Better MPG, lower repair cost, least issues. What's the deal? I know people's reviews are subjective, but as super duty owners, if, "IF" you had a choice would you say a RAM is a better vehicle???

Looking for honest and mature responses.

Btw I'm looking at 2008 and newer f450 and ram 3500.

A/Ox4 11-24-2012 02:34 AM

Ram uses the cummins engine; a great engine, but be advised its new just like the new Ford 6.7 but has a history where as the current Ford diesel is the first in house Ford diesel in MANY years. Their transmissions are also not terrible. However the good ends there. I don't like their chassis and I REALLY don't like their cheap interiors.

That said our electric company, SoCal Edison, is rumored to be switching from Ford to RAM on their new trucks. Currently most are the 6.4 with some 6.7s and they are in the works to get the 6.7 electric hybrid but appear to be opting for RAM now.

Also, LAFD has added many RAM truck chassis ambulances to its fleet ever since ford discontinued the E-Series. But they also have Ford truck chassis ambulances. No Chevys that I'm aware of. Personally I think truck chassis are the way to go with ambulances, I would just like to see more on the Ford chassis.

Sorry got a little OT, just sharing what I know :)

JohnnyThunder 11-24-2012 07:05 AM

Well, I just came out of 4 years of hell with an 08 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie Megacab. It was a hemi but the power train never caused an issue of any kind. So now to the fact it was in the shop 42 (yes that is right 42) times in the first 25 months for everything from steering issues to failed blower and windshield wiper motors, Steering intermediate shaft a couple times and the list goes on. It rode like a fricken steel wheeled wagon and only after putting a Redhead steering box, a Carli steering damper and a Darrins steering stabilizer did it want do drive down the road without wandering all over the place. Dodge has gone through 4 or 5 major front suspension changes trying to fix the way they drive and as near as I can tell the 13 HD Dodges now sport the Ford radius arm front end that Carli pioneered for the Dodge trucks a few years back. I know Ford has it's crosses to bear as well but I will sure not recommend a 3rd gen Dodge to anyone no matter how good that Cummins diesel may be. The 4th gens seem abit better though. The Dodges are not rated to tow as much as Ford's either.

Quad Racer 11-24-2012 09:44 AM

Well atleast your not considering a Gm. Sounds like you have read some of the 6.0 owners woes. I can't speak from experience and never compared Ford trucks and Dodge trucks side by side, but personally I wouldn't own a Dodge vehicle. They do appear cheaply made inside which is not a big deal for some, but it makes a difference to me. I believe Dodge is pulling support from Nascar also ?, which is telling of how the comopany is going. It seems with all the diesel hype these days alot of guys are proud of their Dodge pickups so I guess they can't be too bad or guys are just willing to put up with them. I'd stick with Ford trucks if it were me.:-X22

Shake-N-Bake 11-24-2012 11:05 AM

Are you looking at chassis cab or pickup models? The Cummins 6.7 has been in production for almost 6 years and seems to be doing well. (ours have been just fine so far...). Ram has sold more duallies than Ford for the last two years so they must be doing something right. I still think that Ford's build quality is superior to the Ram but that is just an opinion...we don't have any Rams in our fleet so I can only base my opinion on models owned by neighbors and friends.

If you are looking for a work truck then the Ram with the 6.7 Cummins is solid choice. If you are looking to modify and don't have emission concerns then the Ford 6.4 liter is capable of making a ton of power once the DPF and EGR has been deleted. There is a strong case that the EGR is the major contributing factor with the radiator failures in the 6.4 model so deleting those items (if possible) may work out well.

Be advised the '08-'10 F-450 pickups are actual 450 trucks. The '11-'13 F-450 pickups are more like F-350 trucks with F-450 badges. If you go with 2011 or newer Ford models, then you will have to get a chassis cab truck if you really need class 4 capabilities.

The Ram is available in 4500 and 5500 so that may be an option as well. The Ram 5500 Long Hauler is interesting but I am not sure it is available for sale yet.

Good luck, I am sure either choice will work out well for you. :-drink

dualwheels66 11-24-2012 11:08 AM

What are you going to use the truck for? Hauling , towing. I see you have 2 F150's and a older F350, so why the jump to a F450? Just curious.

Sand_Man 11-24-2012 11:11 AM

My Dad bought a new 6.7powered, 1-ton Ram in '07 and puts it to the test quite often towing a 16K lb 5th wheel several times a year. So far it has been a great truck, with the only issues being problems with the DPF system. Personally, if it were me, I'd eliminate all that crap on any brand of diesel. It's also his second Dodge and both have been very well-built trucks with no problems related to build quality.

Shake-N-Bake 11-24-2012 01:42 PM

Another thing for consideration is 2012 was the last Ram pickup truck without DEF. 2010 was the last Ford without DEF. DEF is a pain...

redz284u 11-24-2012 03:29 PM

I'm looking to consolidate. I tow a 13k 5th wheel and te f350 does ok. I'm sure I can benefit from a 5 speed tranny and a little more horse power. The f450 was my choice simply because of the better appearance from the f350. I don't really want to sacrifice interior to the RAM but I also don't want up be stuck with a diesel that will give me problem. Perhaps the v10 will be a better choice???? I'm in California. On a 2008 or 2009 does anybody know when the EGR AND DEF can be removed?

ken kenmnedy 11-24-2012 03:36 PM

i would rather push a broke down ford truck then ride in a dodge

Firefighter 1406 11-24-2012 03:43 PM

I would be worried about emissions testing if you are in Cali. IMO I feel that the cummins motor is a great one, dodge just puts it in a crap truck. That being said you do see a lot of them so that speaks for itself.

Sand_Man 11-24-2012 04:27 PM

You know, I keep hearing that over and over again, yet it's always posted by people who have never owned one. So please tell me, when you owned your Dodge Ram, what is it you didn't like? I've never owned one, either, but my Dad has put well over 200,000 on Rams (130K on the first one and 70K+ on the current one) and has never has anything go wrong with the trucks, in fact the doors open and shut like new on both, no rust on either and not so much as a bad wheel bearing. So please post what it was that went bad on your Ram.

Buppies 11-24-2012 08:34 PM

Own a 2500 08 with the 6.7 Cummings and in first year and a half was in the shop 16 times for check engine light coming on . Once the computer was reflashed no more problems and now has 116000 miles still going strong. The new f-250 rides better and is a little quieter but the Dodge handles better

gfl 11-24-2012 09:24 PM

I had an '08 6.7 ram, deleted with +60 tune, it'll pull your 5er fine. The newer ones have nicer interiors, i didnt have much trouble, did have the clutch replaced 2x under warantee, but once the warantee was up i fled :) . I dont use mytruck often enough to warrant having the diesel, and wasnt comfortable having a "possible" high dollar repair a crappy tank of fuel away.

I miss the power to be sure, but my present truck is a more comfortable ride.

I'm sure you could do worse than a ram, and theres some sweet deals on 12s this time of year.

redz284u 11-25-2012 09:55 AM

Thanks to all of u for your info and help. Looks like I've decided to stay with FORD but will be doing the V10 F350. That is if I could find a dually with some fairly low miles, 08 body or newer. If u know some one selling sen me my way. Ready to buy.

Redz284u@hotmail.com