Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   red-head steering boxes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1204885-red-head-steering-boxes.html)

miottimouse 11-23-2012 05:36 AM

red-head steering boxes

good day another member posted some links a few weeks ago that i was checking out and found this company based in seattle wash. called red-head steering. the web site looks good so i called them and was told they have "the fix" for these boxes with machined houseings bearings on the lower shaft and "resized bearing balls" for the sector shaft my ? is has any one here used these boxes from this company for a 79 2wd? by the time i pay for the box,shipping to alberta,and core charge its a $500.00 bill so i am just wondering if their as good as they say they are any comments?
thanks in advance

NumberDummy 11-23-2012 05:49 AM

ALL Ford/Saginaw P/S gearboxes have a built in flaw: There are no bearings on the sector shaft. And because of this, within a short time, P/S fluid begins leaking past the sector shaft seal. :-arrgh

ALL the so-called "rebuilt" P/S gearboxes sold by FoMoCo and autoparts stores are nothing more than resealed gearboxes. :(

Red Head takes the housing, machines it, installs the bearings that FoMoCo left out...on purpose...so they could sell a gazillion seal kits!

Ford/Saginaw P/S introduced in 1965 Galaxie/LTD, in F100/250 2WD's and F350's in 1969 from serial number D96,001. Thru 1972, only a master seal kit (C5AZ-3C538-A) was available.

D7AZ-3E501-B (replaced D7AZ-3E501-A, D3AZ-3E501-A & C5AZ-3C538-A) .. Sector Shaft Seal Kit // F3AZ-3E502-A (replaced D7AZ-3E502-A, D3AZ-3E502-A & C5AZ-3C538-A) .. Input Shaft Seal Kit.

Last FoMoCo vehicles to use Ford/Saginaw P/S: 2002 Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marquis, went to Rack & Pinion P/S beginning in 2003. 2010: Mercury cancelled, 2011: Crown Vic cancelled.

miottimouse 11-23-2012 08:23 AM

so bill do you think the work they do with the sector shaft/ball bearings would make a difference? it seems like all most every truck i have has a "steering issue" either the box is too loose [road wander] or it starts to load up the pump it the ajuster is to tight spending the $ is not a problem if it works

NumberDummy 11-23-2012 08:32 AM

I've recommended Red Head for 6 years and not because I have red hair.

The Ford/Saginaw P/S gearbox has been crap since day one, because there are no bearings on the sector shaft.

And btw, there isn't a peep in Ford parts catalogs about the gear being made by Saginaw, probably because...Saginaw is a division of General (aka Government) Motors. :(

AFAIK, FTE member jowilker let the "cat oughtta the bag" by calling the gearbox a Saginaw. The first day I noticed that, I said to myself "What the hell is he talking about?" Investigated, found out he was right.

mikeo0o0o0 11-23-2012 08:51 AM

I have one and several other FTE members have them.
Works great. As Bill said, they correct the design defect in the box. The sector shaft now rides on needle bearings instead of just the cast iron housing.
Their price is competitive with the chain store "spray and pray" rebuilt units.
You can either send them yours and they'll rebuild it or they can ship you one from stock and use yours as a core.
Mine cost around $226.00 plus the UPS charges.

jgavac 11-23-2012 04:01 PM

I'm going to get mine done too. I have the advantage of living near Seattle, so no shipping charges for me.

Jameson

grinnergetter 11-23-2012 05:46 PM

Red Head is good stuff.

Pitcrw6 11-23-2012 06:28 PM

There very popular in the 7.3 forum also. Theres a group buy going on right now to get them cheaper.

gumshoe 11-24-2012 01:56 PM

I bought one from red head and it cannot be beat they put a bearing on the pitman arm end. I'm ordering one now for my 79 with only 70K mi. and the lower bushing is worn. makes the truck wander. there price is right also.

tbear853 11-24-2012 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by gumshoe (Post 12519430)
I bought one from red head and it cannot be beat they put a bearing on the pitman arm end. I'm ordering one now for my 79 with only 70K mi. and the lower bushing is worn. makes the truck wander. there price is right also.

Yeah, if I ever do the '77's box, it'll be there as well. Red Head is the place.
:-X22

NumberDummy 11-24-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by gumshoe (Post 12519430)
I bought one from red head and it cannot be beat they put a :-huh bearing on the pitman arm end. I'm ordering one now for my 79 with only 70K mi. and the lower bushing :-huh is worn, makes the truck wander. there price is right also.

No bushing, no bearings as original in the steering box. Red Head machines the housing, installs the needle bearings on the sector shaft that FoMoCo omitted, so they could sell a gazillion seal kits!

See posts 2 & 4 for additional info.

mikeo0o0o0 11-24-2012 04:23 PM

The hard parts to actually rebuild the internals of the steering box haven't been available for years. Besides adding the needle bearings to the sector shaft Red Head also regrinds the "screw" of the input shaft and then fits oversize balls so these units are truly rebuilt not just resealed like you'll get from the chain stores.
They also work their "magic" on manual 2WD and 4WD boxes.

turbohunter 11-24-2012 04:44 PM

The gear I just picked up is going directly to Redhead.:-X22

wasowski 11-24-2012 05:16 PM

the group buy is the way to go,looks like there at about 50 dollars off at this point,and i think the order ends dec 3rd-5th

hasteranger 11-24-2012 05:16 PM

My excursion has a redhead steering box on it. They charged my credit card for the core charge and would not refund it 2 months after I'd sent the core back (with deliver receipt so I knew they got it). When I called (a few times, mind you) they always sounded stoned. Just take any teen movie with a bored, stoned drive through burger clerk and imagine his voice over the phone... "uh, I dunno man, I don't see your order anywere (rustling of papers) nah I dunno man." I finally had to threaten to do a charge back on my credit card after accruing 2 months of interest before they would refund the core charge. Mind you, they never said they didn't get it, and they never said it was damaged. I shipped it return receipt with insurance. And about 4-5 months after this fantastic expensive magical steering box was installed, its now groaning every time I turn the wheel.
I won't be doing business with them anymore, I can tell you that.