Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Heater is stuck on Defrost (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1204631-heater-is-stuck-on-defrost.html)

Slingnsteel 11-21-2012 06:11 PM

Heater is stuck on Defrost

My heater is stuck on the defrost mode. I checked the vacum lines, they are fine. I have a 3 prong sylinoid with two vacum line conectors which I replaced with a new one that is located next to the battery on the firewall. I have read it was supposed to engage to create vacume when I switched from different settings like floor to defrost. I never hear the sylinoid work. This same sylinoid is also supposed to engage my ESOF. The ESOF does not matter cause I have switched to manuel hubs. Any thoughts from the experts or ones gone down this same road.

SM

boj760 11-21-2012 06:24 PM

Stuck defrost

Welcome, Slingnsteel!
I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read here trying to get my ride up to snuff (99 F250 SD 6.8L CC XLT 4x4) it does sound like there's a vacuum leak. When you said you checked the lines, did that include the ones for the ESOF you don't use anymore? If they were removed when you changed to manual hubs, could any plugs/new lines have come loose?
Like I said, I'm not an expert, just trying to help.

Chad149 11-21-2012 07:37 PM

I s there vaccumn available at the soliniod or climate controls? What engine do you have? Depending on the year the diesels have an electric vaccum pump on the right fender underhood that fails occasionally.

Slingnsteel 11-21-2012 07:46 PM

I have a 99 250 SD V10. I also have a skipping issue at random times. Mostly when I am at low rpm's. I am gonna go through all vacuum lines.
SM

TravisG 11-22-2012 01:59 PM

Random question but, does ur overdrive switch still work? I had a 96 tbird that i bumped my od button and the defrost would only turn on. Turned out to be a bad fuse... my fuse was the ACC fuse. Just a thought.

Slingnsteel 11-22-2012 03:07 PM

Od works fine.
SM

TravisG 11-22-2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Slingnsteel (Post 12514078)
Od works fine.
SM

Dang. Thought i had it pegged. Lol id still check fuses. Crazy what all they can control off different fuses.

SC_Hoaty 11-22-2012 09:08 PM

Sounds like lack of vacuum. If the lines that ran to the ESOF are just cut, they may be leaking all your vacuum. Also, some of the plastic tubing that is used can get brittle with age.

99powerstrokedF250 11-23-2012 07:06 AM

Guys...not sure this is vacuum related. My 2003 has been switched to manual hubs, and the vacuum lines are not plugged, and my heat/ac controls all work fine. My father in law's 99 has ESOF with NO lines or plugs, and his heat/ac controls all work fine. If I recall, the defrost/floor/dash door is actually electrically controlled and there is an electric servomotor on the heater box under the dash that controls it. I know for sure that is how the temperature is controlled, because I had to replace it on my old 99. So you may want to look into that.

redford 11-23-2012 08:58 AM

The Super Duty ventilation system runs off of vacuum. When there is not enough vacuum to run the system, it defaults to blowing out of the defroster vents. This is done for safety.

So yes, it is a vacuum leak.

Slingnsteel 11-27-2012 08:14 AM

I checked my vacum lines, they are fine. The vacume for this truck is held in a canister behind the battery passenger side. I believe the vacume is created with a sylinoid on the firewall next to the battery. I also believe this same sylinoid engages the auto hubs for the ESOF. It is a new sylinoid and does not make a peep. The sylinoid on the transfer case that engages the 4x4 is an aftermarket. Would that have anything to do with the sylinoid on the firewall not responding.
SM

PSDInterceptor 11-27-2012 08:33 AM

Isn't vacuum created by the V10 engine's intake manifold
and stored in the canister?
A PowerStroke's vacuum is created by a Delphi vacuum pump.

Slingnsteel 11-27-2012 09:54 AM

I think the canister has several compartments for different things like engine, ESOF and heat controls. The problem I have is the vacum sylinoid that controls ESOF and heater does nt work.
SM

Slingnsteel 11-30-2012 09:55 PM

I found a link that I hope will help me figure out my solinoid problem. Here is the link

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/mu...20056_1123.pdf

PSDInterceptor 12-01-2012 05:27 AM

WTG, a Ford tech pub flow chart.
:-X06
Repaired a Jeep Wrangler for a friend one time.
Battery acid had dissolved the 4x4 vacuum hub
hard line tubing. Put in a couple thick walled rubber
tubing splices, the dealer wanted over $300 to
fix it, I did it for free.