Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Swapping Isspro EV's for EV2's? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1204540-swapping-isspro-evs-for-ev2s.html)

Km1210 11-21-2012 08:56 AM

Swapping Isspro EV's for EV2's?

Is it possible to just swap out my EV's and put in EV2's without having to rewire everything?

Shake-N-Bake 11-21-2012 10:00 AM

Unfortunately not. My EV gauges were wired completely different than the EV2 style. For instance, the EV Transmission Temp gauge had some sort of converter box between the sensor and gauge...the EV2 did not. If I remember correctly, even the boost gauge was different with respect to how it was wired.

honeydew 11-21-2012 10:12 AM

Gotta rewire like Greg said. I switched from EV to EV2.

Km1210 11-21-2012 11:01 AM

Ahh I see.

Eventually I'm gonna upgrade the turbo and other things so the 0-30 lbs boost gauge isn't gonna cut it. Gonna need a 0-40 lbs or even 0-60 lbs boost gauge.

So do you guys think it would be worth the switch? Are the EV2's easier to set up then the EV1's?

I feel like this is gonna be a lot more work than I thought it would be.

honeydew 11-21-2012 11:05 AM

I kept the EV 40psi boost gauge and have it on a pod with three EV2s. The EV with its incandescent bulb is dimmer, not as vivid a green, and not quite as evenly lit as the EV2, but they are all dimmed down anyway via dimmer switch. I kept it because it worked fine and I prefer a mechanical boost gauge. I prefer the EV2 electronic gauges because they don't have the amplifier boxes.

Km1210 11-21-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by honeydew (Post 12509971)
I kept the EV 40psi boost gauge and have it on a pod with three EV2s. The EV with its incandescent bulb is dimmer, not as vivid a green, and not quite as evenly lit as the EV2, but they are all dimmed down anyway via dimmer switch. I kept it because it worked fine and I prefer a mechanical boost gauge. I prefer the EV2 electronic gauges because they don't have the amplifier boxes.

Only problem with mine is 0-30 instead of 40.

What exactly is the amplifier box for? Is it for all three of my gauges (pyro,trans,boost) or just one?

Would I basically have to replace all the sending unit hardware from the EV's to the EV2's?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to understand all thats involved.

honeydew 11-21-2012 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Km1210 (Post 12510180)
Only problem with mine is 0-30 instead of 40.

What exactly is the amplifier box for? Is it for all three of my gauges (pyro,trans,boost) or just one?

Would I basically have to replace all the sending unit hardware from the EV's to the EV2's?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to understand all thats involved.

I'm not sure what the amp boxes are for exactly but the EV2 don't use them. Wires run straight from sensor to gauge. You'll have to replace the trans temp sender but that is easy. I reused the EGT probe from the EV. The EV2 boost sensor thread should be 1/8" npt.

GoCamping 11-21-2012 06:45 PM

It is technically a re-wire, but you can work around it. I recently had a problem with the amp box for my coolant gauge and ISSPRO gave me distributor cost on a complete EV2 kit as a replacement (out of warranty). Newer gauge and just a few dollars more so couldn't complain there.

When I got into the removal / reinstall I was a bit perturbed because I was going to have to do a bunch of work I wasn't anticipating. But in the end I recall there were more wires with EV1 than EV2 so I spliced here and there and used some of my old wiring (i.e. didn't have to fish anything). A little ghetto but it works and was faster.

So I suppose if you want a completely clean install, remove all the old and replace with new but you can shortcut it like me.

Now my trans temp is on the fritz and I think it's time to call ISSPRO again for another EV2... I like the newer gauges but I don't like the fact that I don't have a matched set anymore!

Km1210 11-22-2012 08:57 AM

Ok I'm understanding now.

I guess when the time comes, I'll replace them. Not an issue right now.

So to sum it all up:

My current EGT probe will work with the EV2's? That would be good.

And my boost is installed on the MAP sensor line I believe. I would be able to use that for the EV2's as well?

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Tugly 11-22-2012 10:53 AM

All the wires, connectors, and sensors came with my EV2s... no need to buy anything extra (other than the pod). It might be simpler to just replace the old stuff.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=84269