Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Constant velocity joint help on 1991 f250 coachman clarion fwd motor home. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1204311-constant-velocity-joint-help-on-1991-f250-coachman-clarion-fwd-motor-home.html)

Marc. 11-20-2012 02:17 AM

Constant velocity joint help on 1991 f250 coachman clarion fwd motor home.

Hi all,

I'm sorry that my first post on here is a question!

the situation is that I am trying to help out a friend that has a 1991 coachman clarion FWD motor home that has a failed passenger side front CV (constant velocity) joint.

For reference, this is the clarion: http://www.candetta.com/index.cfm?fu...Catalog&page=0

All we are after is a replacement part as the original joint has self destructed.

The vehicle in question is a clarion motorhome based on a ford f250 truck running a 5.8l 351 up front and an auto box. When converted, they modify the transfer box so they convert them to front wheel drive only, therefore giving a lower floor in the buck area.

Does anyone know of a source for these cv joints, i have spent hours looking around the net for an answer, but as of yet, i have not found one! For the record, it definately is not a U joint or the double cardian (or however you say it!), it is definately a CV joint.

For reference, after hours of searching, this is the closest to the shape that i can find:

Outer CV Constant Velocity Joint Ford Maverick DA 4x4 for sale | quicksales.com.au item 14989576

I know its not the right one (or maybe it is?) and its in australia too (i am in the UK), but i thought it would help for a picture reference.

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Marc

Puddy 11-20-2012 02:37 PM

know nothing about motor homes, but maybe its just a stock ttb dana 50
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/r...tbfrontend.gif

Archion 11-20-2012 02:48 PM

Has the joint completely failed and cracked/separated? Your best bet on that would be a drive-line shop that rebuild axles. CV joints have been around over there in Europe a lot longer than here in the states. There has to be shops that do that.

impish 11-20-2012 07:33 PM

Just My Thoughts:

Do not believe I have ever seen a Clarion, or similar design, here on the highways (US). The hubs appear to be big, 1-ton or larger, if Ford. It's claimed Ford engine, transmission, and driveline were used. That statement is dubious, as Ford never to my knowledge built ANY transaxle device, or fwd differential of such size. Almost, but still not quite that stout, were the GM fwd set-ups first started in use in 1966 in fwd Toronado cars, and later in certain Cadillac El Dorados.

The typical Ford "Twin I-Beam" shown, though used with as large as 3/4 ton, never to my knowledge had a C-V type joint; indeed, the pic shown has Cardan type U-joints.

Having stated this, the C-V used by Clarion MAY have been a weak link in it's design, just surmising, from what I have seen and been exposed to here over the years. This means that somewhere outside my country, a BIG C-V may have been used in trucks, as an example.

Is Clarion still in existence? I personally doubt that Ford could help much. as a last resort to repair, custom fabrication of a similar C-V is a possibility, though undoubtedly costly. Many C-V parts use powdered metal technology, which negates duplication of single parts by the typical machining facility.

Sorry to not be more helpful. Interested to learn how/if this situation is resolved. impish

IDIDieselJohn 11-20-2012 08:03 PM

Wow never seen something quite like this setup with a Ford driveline!

Archion 11-20-2012 08:29 PM

You may want to check with these people.... Only 273 built, does not bode well for parts.

clarionrv : Clarion RV

What else around 91/92 used a cv front end under a truck? It seems all they did was remove the rear out of the equation, much like pulling the rear driveshaft on a 4x4.

IDIDieselJohn 11-20-2012 08:31 PM

I have alot of trouble believing that thing can get 13-16 mpg when an empty pick up truck with the 351/C6 has trouble getting 12...

jaagen 11-20-2012 08:42 PM

Hey marc I did some research of my own and found a forum of that brand of rv specific called clarionrv and was reading some threads and one guy said he had the same problem as you he said he used a company from dayton ohio called dayton clutch and joint! He also said that the front axle on that rv is the same as the 1991 f250! I hope this helps. Also that clarionrv you need to search yahoo.com and type in clarionrv in the search box

Archion 11-20-2012 08:45 PM

Same list I posted the link to. People in that group are saying that it's still a dana 44 or 50 ifs, I'm thinking they adapted a chevy cv axle and spindle? GM had already switched to CV's by then. Ford was still running u-joints, one guy even said that he had used a cv boot for an S-10 pickup/blazer as a replacement.

jaagen 11-20-2012 08:53 PM

sorry didn't see that my bad

Marc. 11-21-2012 02:46 PM

Hi, thanks for all your time so far guys, i have been following up some of those leads too. It seems that others on the clarionrv forum have problems locating replacements too! Its a shame that dayton clutch and joint dont have an email address (well, that i can see of), as i would have emailed them to see if they still had any record of this joint being sold......

Marc

Puddy 11-21-2012 02:59 PM

call them
Dayton Ohio Auto Parts - Truck Parts - Clutch Repair - Dayton Clutch & Joint
1-937-236-9770

Archion 11-21-2012 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaagen (Post 12507930)
sorry didn't see that my bad

No worries, was just mention that we both found the same thing for him

:-drink

Marc. 11-21-2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Puddy (Post 12510790)

LOL, thats easy for you to say...i Live in the UK and the call will cost me an arm and a leg...i will wait until after the weekend when i am back in work and use thir phone instead (thsts if it will allow international calls). :D

Marc

Puddy 11-23-2012 04:30 PM

Think I found what your looking for
RCV Ultimate TTB Axle Set