Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Supercharged V10 Excursion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1203713-supercharged-v10-excursion.html)

garryk6 11-17-2012 02:29 PM

Supercharged V10 Excursion

So I ran across a guy with a 2000 excursion V10 with a whipple supercharger and banks intake and trans shift module. It has 69,000 miles, and the supercharger was added at 45,000 miles. Since I live on an island inAlaska, my 2005 Ex with 6.0 diesel never gets to stretch its legs, nor does it really get to warm up all the way unless I take a long drive from one end of the road to the other (about 75 miles). My 05 Ex only has 36,496 miles, and I am the original owner. We are thinking about a partial trade sale, but I m interested in hearing your thoughts?

Let the beatings begin...;)

Garry

Tom 11-17-2012 03:09 PM

What is your intended use? If you're planning on towing with it I would recommend against it. There is lots of stuff that will break sooner when you are adding that much power. Everything powertrain related would be stressed more, and towing wouldn't be a good choice IMHO.

Furthermore being on an island probably means repairs and parts are going to be more expensive when they do break.

I'd say pass on this one. The power may feel great but that's not something to consider if you want towing reliability.

XbigXredX 11-17-2012 03:55 PM

I'm a buyer for the supercharger, then you can have the standard V10, with all the reliability and greatness, and I can finally get my supercharger :) win/win.

tdappleman 11-17-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by XbigXredX (Post 12496148)
I'm a buyer for the supercharger, then you can have the standard V10, with all the reliability and greatness, and I can finally get my supercharger :) win/win.

Darn - you got it first!

garryk6 11-17-2012 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 12496040)
What is your intended use? If you're planning on towing with it I would recommend against it. There is lots of stuff that will break sooner when you are adding that much power. Everything powertrain related would be stressed more, and towing wouldn't be a good choice IMHO.

Furthermore being on an island probably means repairs and parts are going to be more expensive when they do break.

I'd say pass on this one. The power may feel great but that's not something to consider if you want towing reliability.

We have a Ford Dealer, but I have had my Diesel Ex in there on warrantee, and it took 3 and a half months for a turbo replacement. I can work on the gas motors better. I currently do not tow more than my 2500lb boat. If we get back to the lower 48, then I'll have my other V-10 Ex, and decide then if I sell the supercharged one or the stock one. The use down there is to tow a 7650lb 30ft Travel trailer. But that is many years down the road.

With the Harley and Lightning Pick-ups running the same type of supercharger, and them being very capable and reliable, what are your concerns on this type of set-up? Transmission? Drivetrain? I know that the 7.3's dialed up put more power to the ground than this supercharged V-10 do, and they seem to be good.
I am curious to your ideas and rationale.
THanks!
Garry

archtaan 11-18-2012 03:08 AM

The real question is how much boost and what supporting mods? Doesn't the V10 have fracture-split powder metal connecting rods? If its something low like 6-8psi it will probably live ok with a good tune and fuel. Also, is it intercooled?

A Whipple is a positive displacement supercharger and looks killer. I had one on my 426 Challenger before I decided I needed more power. I'd love to see what it looks like on a V10. What displacement is it?

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/.../images-13.jpg

m350 11-18-2012 06:34 AM

I would have to say another Plus one,,Go for it,,Sounds like a sweet ride,,,Just crawl under and around it checking it out, for Rust termites and other issues,,,your 05' Ex., sounds like a nice ride too,,,Just the fact that it is a 6.0,,and not getting up to temp often in the winter or any time, could be a slight concern for me,,!

My 06' F-350 6.0 all stock launched a head gasket at 67 k miles cost me $ 3200 bucks,,then just 3 k miles later needed 3 injectors,,,that was another $1k,,,and this is a Ford Tech working at his Home,,,Am thinking that could pay for alot of Gas in a gas Job Truck !!! At least I do have a Good Tech thats reasonable to bring it too !

tdappleman 11-18-2012 07:36 AM

The engine internals aside, I'm really wondering how much stress it would really put on the rest of the drivetrain. The trans, xfer case, axles, etc are the same between the v10's and the 7.3 and we know the limitations of the 4R100 but that is easily resolved with the right replacement. Even the engine internals should be able to handle lower boost applications with no issues.

AlaskanEx 11-18-2012 07:36 AM

i saw it on craigslist and really wished i had the cash for it right now! sounds like a great deal.

garryk6 11-18-2012 12:15 PM

Thanks for all the insight guys! I am trying to arrange a flight oo er to where it is to check it out. Then we will see from there.
Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming!
Garry

Sunline Fan 11-18-2012 04:15 PM

After checking out the Anchorage CL, y'all have some cherry looking Excursions up there for sale right now.

I also LOL'd at a few of the ads too. The best I think was an Excursion with an "Eat moose" bumper sticker.

AlaskanEx 11-18-2012 04:18 PM

lol yeah, there are some nice ones. i want the super charged one and the one in valdez with 26k miles on it! then i'd be happy :)

Sunline Fan 11-18-2012 04:42 PM

2000 FORD EXCURSION 4X4 DIESEL

^between the running boards, hubcaps, and paint color, they may as well just call it a Quigley Econoline...

AlaskanEx 11-18-2012 04:46 PM

ha! i'm used to seeing the hub caps..even have them on my f-250. def need to pull the boards but the color is kinda nice?

Sunline Fan 11-18-2012 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx (Post 12499410)
ha! i'm used to seeing the hub caps..even have them on my f-250. def need to pull the boards but the color is kinda nice?

I don't think the color is all that bad, it's just it seems like that's the color I see the most of on Econolines (second to white though).