Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum146/)
-   -   acetone additive??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1201558-acetone-additive.html)

wyoming4x4 11-07-2012 03:49 PM

acetone additive???

Been doing some reading and they are saying good things. not familiar with this. trying to think of the down sides? i have a test truck to play with carbed. anyone know of anything on this subject!:-huh

monckywrench 11-07-2012 06:08 PM

I've used acetone (it was handy) when I had some really bad gas in my Harley years ago. Worked well enough to use up the rest of the tank, but I didn't notice much of anything else.

projectSHO89 11-08-2012 06:12 AM

Old subject last time fuel prices went way up.

Use the SEARCH tool to dig up the old stuff.

ChristopherN 12-06-2012 01:00 PM

I tried it. Forgot acetone melts plastic so, don't use a plastic measuring spoon like I did.

It didn't really do anything. It may have cleaned out some things but that's about it.

jimandmandy 12-06-2012 02:03 PM

Other than as an oxygenate, Im not sure what acetone will do as a fuel additive. I cant find an octane number.

Toluene is the aromatic that is blended in aviation gasoline primarily as an octane booster. It has an octane rating of about 104.

BigBlockF350 10-08-2013 08:36 PM

Reviving an old thread...

I've used acetone in a pre-smog 460, and gained about 10%-12% fuel mileage. Mixed it into the gas in a 1:480 ratio. Worthwhile doing it. It also kept my carb clean!

The engine was also a bit worn. Not horribly, but one cylinder was dumping oil fairly bad. Don't know if that matters in the equation.

wastingas 10-31-2013 09:02 PM

Theirs a video on youtube for this. Discovery Channels 'MythBusters' did a segment on this. they also used fuel magnets and HHO. They showed negative results with the acetone. They said because it burns easier it causes higher fuel consumption. The opposition is from the fact that gasoline burns as a vapor not a liquid. acetone helps to thin out the gas allowing it to burn easier.

I'd like to hear more about HHO, and I think the acetone should clean out the engine for what its worth....

BigBlockF350 10-31-2013 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by wastingas (Post 13690639)
Theirs a video on youtube for this. Discovery Channels 'MythBusters' did a segment on this. they also used fuel magnets and HHO. They showed negative results with the acetone. They said because it burns easier it causes higher fuel consumption. The opposition is from the fact that gasoline burns as a vapor not a liquid. acetone helps to thin out the gas allowing it to burn easier.

I'd like to hear more about HHO, and I think the acetone should clean out the engine for what its worth....

I saw that myth busters episode. I thought it was very interesting. My results have been different. I've used it and recorded many tanks with and without it on my normal routes with a gain of 10%-12% in fuel mileage with the acetone mixed at a 480:1 gas/acetone ratio. It all depends on the application and ratio used.

I also agree with you, the acetone WILL clean stuff up some. It'll keep carburetors/injectors, intake manifolds, and valves a little more clean.

polarbear87 05-02-2014 04:43 PM

about the mythbusters show

Yes it is tru that yoy get less mpg but what they tid not test is if the car has a lambda probe you can buy a kit to connect between so you can make it get a leaner mix or trick the brain to think it is within parameters..

E Bjornstad 07-10-2014 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wastingas (Post 13690639)

I think that's a pretty good explanation. As someone else said, whenever gas prices go up, stuff like acetone gets revived as an alternative.

And it eats away at plastic and polymers, so not really feasible for use as some kind of longterm fuel additive.

aurgathor 07-20-2014 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 (Post 13691165)
I saw that myth busters episode. I thought it was very interesting. My results have been different. I've used it and recorded many tanks with and without it on my normal routes with a gain of 10%-12% in fuel mileage with the acetone mixed at a 480:1 gas/acetone ratio. It all depends on the application and ratio used.

I also agree with you, the acetone WILL clean stuff up some. It'll keep carburetors/injectors, intake manifolds, and valves a little more clean.

According to the old thread about acetone, it will not work with gasoline that has alcohol in it. At least in this area, it's difficult and expensive to get alcohol free gasoline.

Acetone is a very good solvent of many things, so it can dissolve gunk and can be used as a fuel system cleaner, although there is a possibility that it could attack plastic parts.

speakerfritz 12-28-2016 08:09 PM

Acetone type of additives work best if you add before a long trip.
If you add it and park it, the acetone and related will evaporate in your tank and never make it to your engine.