Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   96 Ford F150 dies while idling then won't start for a while (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1200481-96-ford-f150-dies-while-idling-then-wont-start-for-a-while.html)

Cheryl Rogers 11-02-2012 02:50 PM

96 Ford F150 dies while idling then won't start for a while

My truck is a 96 Ford F150 4.9 6 cylinder manual trans. About a month ago after driving for maybe 5 minutes, a short distance to my sisters house, I would turn it off and sit there for about 30 minutes, then it wouldn't start. It turns over but won't start. After trying about 10 times to start it, it fired right up and ran as if nothing was wrong. This happened about 4 or 5 times. But only when I drove over to her house. I could drive into town, which is about a 10 minute drive, turn it off, run in the store, come out and it started fine. Then about a week ago while sitting at the bus stop at my sisters, the truck was idling and died! I was afraid to turn it off at the bus stop because it seems to only not start at my sisters and I was convinced she was jinxing me! I cleaned the IAC valve real good and replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. It started right up and ran smoother than I can ever remember it running. I've had the truck for almost 15 years. I went in to switch my laundry around and change clothes. Went to start it again to drive around the block and it wouldn't start. Then it started, and died. Started again and died immediately. Now it won't start. It turns over but won't start. If I wait about 30 minutes or so and go out there I am sure it will fire right up! But I will not drive it because I do not want to get stranded anywhere. Please help!

subford 11-02-2012 04:00 PM

When it does not start you might try holding the throttle wide open and see if it will start.

Cheryl Rogers 11-02-2012 04:06 PM

Held the throttle open and did not help. After I changed the wires and plugs and rotor and cap it started and ran great. Then I changed the air filter and now it won't start at all. It tries, but won't.

Cheryl Rogers 11-02-2012 05:08 PM

took the air filter off it fired right up! Put the old one back on

subford 11-02-2012 06:31 PM

You need to run a self-test and see if you get any codes.

Sounds like you might have a MAP sensor problem. Check and make sure the vacuum line is hooked to it OK and also its electrical plug and wiring.

Cheryl Rogers 11-03-2012 08:49 PM

I don't know anything about self testing. Guess I can take it to autozone. Tonight i drove back over to the sisters, went inside for about 10-15it minutes, left the truck running. Walked outside and she just died. Wouldn't start for nothing. Called dad and asked him to bring some starter fluid over. Sprayed it in the breather tube thingy and it tried to start. Made all kinds of crazy noises. Each time he sprayed it, it seemed to get closer to starting. Then he sprayed it and then held his hand over the tube and it finally started. And ran as if nothing was ever wrong. I drove it home turned it off and then 15the minutes later tried it just to see.....fired right up! I think my truck wants to see me in a straight jacket!

Cheryl Rogers 11-03-2012 08:51 PM

Btw, thanks for responding and giving advice. I really appreciate it.

Cheryl Rogers 11-03-2012 09:31 PM

I can't find the map sensor anywhere?

Acidic 11-03-2012 11:13 PM

when it's not starting check for spark... It's quick and easy. If it's spark start tracing it back from plug to cap/rotor to coil then ICM/PIP

subford 11-03-2012 11:45 PM

The map sensor should be mounted on the fire wall above the heater box.

Cheryl Rogers 11-04-2012 12:42 AM

Gets spark. No problem there. Found the MAP or the MAF. Whatever its called on this truck. Every thing looks fine with that. There is a tiny green house coming off the egr valve that was broke in half and i fixed that. Didn't seem to help.

Cheryl Rogers 11-04-2012 12:43 AM

Hose....not house! Lol

subford 11-04-2012 06:16 AM

When it will not start and you turn on the key and not crank the engine does the fuel pump run all the time the key is on?
If so will it only start when the fuel pump quits running?

Or when it will not start and you turn on the key and not crank the engine does the fuel pump not run at all?

Or does the fuel pump run for one second and quit each time the key is turned on when it is not starting? If so then you may have an Ignition spark problem and with a 1996 I would guess that you have a bad PIP sensor inside the distributor.

subford 11-04-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cheryl Rogers (Post 12447608)
Gets spark. No problem there. Found the MAP or the MAF. Whatever its called on this truck. Every thing looks fine with that. There is a tiny green house coming off the egr valve that was broke in half and i fixed that. Didn't seem to help.

Yes in a 1996 4.9L it would be the MAF sensor and not a MAP sensor and it would be located in the air filter box area.
Sorry about the above post.

Cheryl Rogers 11-04-2012 09:05 AM

When i turn the key on i hear a hum for about 3 or 4 seconds and then a click. The hum comes from the rear of the truck and the click comes from the front.