Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General NON-Automotive Conversation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum19/)
-   -   Generator fuel consumption (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1199357-generator-fuel-consumption.html)

bashby 10-28-2012 02:59 PM

Generator fuel consumption

Anyone know about how much fuel a 6000 watt generator uses? It's a Dewalt DG6000 with a Honda 11hp engine.

Ford_Six 10-28-2012 03:12 PM

The specs are on DeWalt's site here:
DXGN6000 6000 Watt Commercial Generator | DEWALT Tools
It says 14hrs run time on 8gallons of fuel at 50% load, so a little over 1/2 gallon per hour.

bashby 10-28-2012 03:25 PM

Mines an older model but should be about the same... Thanks. The 12 gallons of fuel I have should run about 24 hrs... Now I KNOW we won't lose power!

tseekins 10-28-2012 04:23 PM

I have a 2004 model Craftsman with a 10HP briggs. 5600 running watts and 8600 surge.

I backfeed my breaker panel and run the water heater, power to all lights and outlets in the house and she runs great. It seems to use 5 gallons in about 14-16 hours of continuous use.

Fortunately it's only needed about once a year. However, I do start it monthly and let it get good and warmed up.

85e150 10-28-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 12422128)
I have a 2004 model Craftsman with a 10HP briggs. 5600 running watts and 8600 surge.

I backfeed my breaker panel and run the water heater, power to all lights and outlets in the house and she runs great. It seems to use 5 gallons in about 14-16 hours of continuous use.

Fortunately it's only needed about once a year. However, I do start it monthly and let it get good and warmed up.

Do you use a switch or just turn off the main and backfeed another set of breakers?

bashby 10-28-2012 05:27 PM

I'm going to turn the main off, pull the 30a breaker to the dryer and hook it up to a piece of 8/3 copper wire that I put a plug on the other end, plug it into the 4 prong generator outlet, put the breaker back in and back feed the panel.

tseekins 10-28-2012 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod (Post 12422177)
Do you use a switch or just turn off the main and backfeed another set of breakers?

Originally Posted by bashby (Post 12422293)
I'm going to turn the main off, pull the 30a breaker to the dryer and hook it up to a piece of 8/3 copper wire that I put a plug on the other end, plug it into the 4 prong generator outlet, put the breaker back in and back feed the panel.

I made up a 50 gauge cable with a dryer plug on one end and the genny plug on the other. I throw the main, unplug the dryer and backfeed that way.

I know it's not a good solution to an otherwise safe alternative. I'm very aware of what's happening around me and I'm extremely careful to shutdown the genny, unplug all connections and restore all previous connections prior to restoring street power to the house.

When I raise the money, I want to have a gas standby generator professionally installed with the auto transfer switch and the whole nine yards. Not sure if I can justify the cost for a whole house model. I'd likely need a 12K-15K model to run the a/c and everything.

bashby 10-28-2012 07:09 PM

I have heard the dryer plug is a good way to do it, but our panel is in the attached garage, so all I have to do is roll the generator out of the door then make the connection to the breaker.
I don't see any reason to get a transfer switch if you understand why you need the main off. I've never actually done it myself, but a buddy of mine does it that way all the time. He also wired a light fixture above the panel that is connected to the lines coming in from the meter. When he's running the generator, he will screw the light bulb in the last half turn, then when the light comes on, the power is restored then he can shut the generator down and go back on the grid.

shorebird 10-28-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bashby (Post 12422005)
Mines an older model but should be about the same... Thanks. The 12 gallons of fuel I have should run about 24 hrs... Now I KNOW we won't lose power!

I hate to burst your bubble (and I do hope I'm wrong) but you will most likely be without grid power for days.
Your part of the country has not had the infrastructure hardened to withstand the damage a hurricane will bring.

I stock 110 gallons of ethanol free gasoline in two 55 gallon plastic drums when a storm is coming.
I also have spare air filters and oil for the genset.

CAUTION rain will create a very dangerous condition around the generator.
THE SHOCK HAZARD IS A MAJOR CONCERN.
The risk of carbon monoxide is another concern.

Use your generator to keep the refrigerator cold a few hours a day.
Maybe turn the tv on for news at the same time.
Pulling a 1000 watts or less will extend your available run time.

I wish you the best of luck.

Gicknordon 10-28-2012 09:48 PM

My dad has a pto generator that he hooks up to our 40 horse ford tractor. It has enough wattage to run the whole house but we usually just use whats necessary. Thats what we used when we were out for 8 days last halloween.

projectSHO89 11-01-2012 06:30 PM

That reminds me, I need to convert my 5.5 kW generator to run off my 500 gallon propane tank....

That 10 HP Tecumseh would run a really loooong time off that tank.

shorebird 11-04-2012 01:00 PM

bashby I see you are on line at the moment.
How did you do with the 12 gallons of Gas for the generator?
Was it enough for your needs?

tjc transport 11-04-2012 01:54 PM

i have a 10KW onan genset. i am powering 3 houses, and use about 1 gallon per hour.
when the heaters, refrigerators, and freezers are not running, fuel consumption drops to 1/2 gallon per hour.

monckywrench 11-04-2012 06:09 PM

When I raise the money, I want to have a gas standby generator professionally installed with the auto transfer switch and the whole nine yards. Not sure if I can justify the cost for a whole house model. I'd likely need a 12K-15K model to run the a/c and everything.
I'd consider an LP-powered welder/generator on a concrete pad with a QD connector to a transfer switch. Besides being a welder, it's easier to get parts and there are MANY owners of typical machines such as Miller Bobcats and Trailblazers if you need advice. Millers hold value very nicely.

Since "the moment you buy a machine it starts to age" I'll wait until I really need one to have it delivered. I can't justify a whole-house genset since I have gas heat as backup and a gas stove, and if summer gets nasty the pool will still work without the pump running. A welder makes a nice mobile power source, and welding machines tend to pay themselves off quickly.

------
I use G.I. water cans for fuel (they work fine, I filled mine then threw 'em around my driveway to test) and their caps are ideal for filling small engines. (I don't transport ANY gas cans inside a vehicle.)

water cans...Plastic/Metal? - Expedition Portal