Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Rear Axle Speed Sensor Bypass? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1192994-rear-axle-speed-sensor-bypass.html)

Rockwells 09-29-2012 05:59 PM

Rear Axle Speed Sensor Bypass?

I own a 94 F-150 4x4. I'm currently in the middle of a axle swap due to previous owner neglect. On the axle that came off the truck there is a Sensor that I'm guessing has to do with the Speedtac, and with the new/used axle that's going on the truck, it does not have a Sensor plug on the Diff housing. How important is the speedtac wire on the rear axle? There should be a second one on the Transmission, just haven't checked for it yet, but I'm sure it's there. Anyways, if it's needed, is there a way to bypass it so that it won't interfere with my ABS? If any of this doesn't make since, please let me know. Thanks!!

BigWhite94 09-29-2012 06:08 PM

I don't think it can be bypassed. I remember when I did my 1 ton suspension swap and didn't have the speed sensor in snug and tight the transmissions shift points were off. Once I fixed that, the truck ran fine. My suggestion would be find a 8.8 with the speed sensor connector, I think that's your only hope.

danr1 09-29-2012 06:42 PM

Yea fix the one you have or get another replacement axle.

While not such a big deal if you have a manual trans you still won't have a speedo, rear anti lock can take it or leave it.

If have a auto trans, E4OD you need it regardless of any other issue, stuff you could do without.
Cost of aftermarket VSS setup to use a different axle would exceed cost of simple direct fit replacement.

Its just not worth it, what it take to work around the problem to use just any axle, not even if you got the axle for free IMO.

jroehl 09-29-2012 07:01 PM

I agree 100% with danr1, just to emphasize what he said.

Jason

Phy 09-29-2012 07:16 PM

There is no other speed sensor on the trans.
The speedo won't work, and an E4OD trans will be totally confused without the VSS...

Rockwells 10-05-2012 07:19 PM

Thanks all that responded. I would have responded earlier, but been busy with work and everything. I figure that I'm going to pop the tubes off the new axle and the old axle, and put the new tubes on the old axle so that I can keep the censor and everything so that I don't have to hunt for another axle. Thanks again, everyone. I was miss led on the information that I posted at first, thanks for clearing it up.:-X03

bashby 10-06-2012 06:48 AM

You can't just "pop the tubes off". Just get the right axle or fix yours.

jumbofordman 10-06-2012 12:28 PM

You don't have your location listed, but 'hunting' for a new axle shouldn't be that hard, the F-150 was the most sold vehicle in the country that year.

Rockwells 10-09-2012 06:18 PM

Just an update....

I have the Manual transmission 5spd.

Tubes have been changed and works great.

My old axle tubes have holes in them, on the drivers side and the passenger side is already cracking.

Thanks all