Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Opinions please on AC repair quote (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1192732-opinions-please-on-ac-repair-quote.html)

phildc 09-28-2012 01:09 PM

Opinions please on AC repair quote

Hello all,

This is my first post after having jumped ship from my hugely expensive to maintain 03 Range Rover to my 07 EB Expedition and so far loving this truck!

I felt that the AC was just not cool enough...ok for a 80 degree day, but not quite up to it on a Texas 100 degreee day. I have just taken it in to an independent to diagnose the problem and they have come back with a heart stopping $2169 estimate! :'(

They are saying that the receiver (which is part of the condenser on this vehicle) has broken and taken out the compressor, therefore requiring:

Compressor Kit: Compressor, Condensor, Expansion valve front / rear
Parts total: $1187.50
Labor total: $883.60

Should I get another opinion? Any thoughts suggestions ?

Many thanks
Phil

pgonza2723 09-28-2012 01:58 PM

Never a bad idea to get a second quote. One thing that sounds fishy is that they are saying the compressor has failed. If that was the case, far as I ever knew, compressors either worked or didn't if it wasn't a low coolant issue. If you post up your area then maybe you'll get some responses on reputable trusted places to go get that second opinion.

phildc 09-28-2012 02:01 PM

Hey Pgonza,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am in Austin, TX

Phil

rexster314 09-28-2012 02:08 PM

Thing is if receiver failed, it released the particulate inside it to the whole system. That would contaminate the entire system compressor included. Suprised the quote didn't include an evaporator core as well. Labor probably about right. They would have to completely disassemble the dash to get at it if I'm not mistaken. Parts seem high tho'

lsrx101 09-28-2012 07:02 PM

What has happened is that the desiccant bag inside the receiver/dryer has ruptured. The desiccant is tiny granules, much like sand, and has spread through the entire AC system.
The desiccant is abrasive and has certainly done damage to the compressor, even if it is still working. The desiccant can't be cleaned from the compressor without fully disassembling it.
Much of the labor will include flushing the entire system, front and rear, to remove the desiccant. This requires removing any metering devices, as they can't be flushed through. Removal of the rear expansion valve requires removing much of the rear interior.

Unfortunately, that price is about right for the job. The parts are a bit high, but the labor is a bit low, IMHO. I would expect to see the 2 figures roughly reversed. All in all, the bottom line is the same.

phildc 09-29-2012 10:57 AM

Thanks lsrx101, that description seems right on the money and similar to what the shop told me. Unfortunatley the car is As Is, No Warranty so I have to start saving!

montecarlo31 12-01-2014 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by lsrx101 (Post 12318900)
What has happened is that the desiccant bag inside the receiver/dryer has ruptured. The desiccant is tiny granules, much like sand, and has spread through the entire AC system.
The desiccant is abrasive and has certainly done damage to the compressor, even if it is still working. The desiccant can't be cleaned from the compressor without fully disassembling it.
Much of the labor will include flushing the entire system, front and rear, to remove the desiccant. This requires removing any metering devices, as they can't be flushed through. Removal of the rear expansion valve requires removing much of the rear interior.

Unfortunately, that price is about right for the job. The parts are a bit high, but the labor is a bit low, IMHO. I would expect to see the 2 figures roughly reversed. All in all, the bottom line is the same.

That's a good intro however we need to know if he forgot some parts being replaced in his post, if not there are at least two that need to be replaced.

BTW you think you had problems with the rover, wait until ford's stellar electrical problems start happening combined with some horrible resale values (actually worse than a land rover).

alwaysfords41 12-01-2014 10:18 AM

Holy Timeliness Batman, this thread is 2 years old. Ressurected by a troll whose comment was deleted.