Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   51 Ford F5 colors. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1192711-51-ford-f5-colors.html)

MarkG. 09-28-2012 11:02 AM

51 Ford F5 colors.

Im trying to decide on two colors to paint my truck. One is red, and the other is green(a dark green such as meadow or pine green). and believe it or not im have realy tough time deciding which i want. could you guys post some pics of your red or green trucks on here ta help me decide? I plan on keeping the grille white and painting the bumper and running bords black.

51PanelMan 09-28-2012 11:24 AM

No pictures, but there are way too many red colored trucks, IMHO.

packrat56 09-28-2012 11:27 AM

I have a red 56, and there are a lot of red ones.. The dark green is beautiful.. Reds oxidize badly as well..

Green!!

MarkG. 09-28-2012 11:40 AM

To many red trucks is my thoughts exactly. my truck is originally red. I would post a pic but i cant figure out how to post one on this thread.

doublecanister 09-28-2012 11:53 AM

REdrum

you know

i've been mulling the same issue, my truck was supposed to be red (vermillion) and i've seen some very nice red trucks but....

I dont really want a red truck.

With that said I had a 86 Bronco that was red & tan
(had a tan top, rest was red with tan sections down the sides that I actually liked, not sure how to move that scheme to the 51.)

Right now she's primer gray with lots of greasy hand prints on it, kinda looks like a pos, but also has the hot rod look I guess....
Since it's got late 60's early 70's speed parts stickers in the rear window thats given me that feeling of a mid 60's early 70's hot rod style.

Im going with that till somthing changes my mind.

but as far as colors on a 51 I'd like to see....

Pearlesent white mettalic (like on some newer caddys)
Grabber Blue (ford's old version)
Emberglow (copper mettalic-old Tbird/Mustang color)
Green, Olive drab like a Korea era military truck.

Actually, I'd really like to paint mine somthing that i personally could do in my own garage, so If i had to I could fix myself. Right now that put's me in
the krylon catagory! :-X21

My VW Thing Friends had a post where a guy painted a 73 THING with 32 cans of Krylon orange, looked really good too!

My 3cents!

T

packrat56 09-28-2012 11:53 AM

I love the dark green with the black bumpers.. I painted my grille black, its not stock, but visually it works...

raytasch 09-28-2012 12:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The monkey face belongs to a member here, who seldom posts. was painted as Meadow Green.
The 56 is mine, painted with Meadow Green.
Both trucks painted by owners and are ten feet paint jobs.

abe 09-28-2012 01:30 PM

My 54 is meadow green. Like Ray said I think it looks good. I like the black running boards and bumpers as they were originally. What color white are you painting the grille? I am not sure about 51 and 52's but the grilles for 53 and 54 were Sungate Ivory.

packrat56 09-28-2012 01:47 PM

were 56 F100s ever painted the dark green stock? Or just seafoam?

truckdog62563 09-28-2012 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, I'll be the contrarian. There's a lot of red trucks because they look good in red. And, considering the degree of concern MarkG showed on his other thread about originality, red goes real well with the red/grey 5 Star Extra interior package. This last point is one reason I decided to redo my '52 in Vermilion. The other reason is that the original '52 Woodsmoke Grey is UGLY. As for doing his truck Meadow Green, it's a great color but I don't like it with the red/grey interior.

As I type this I'm sitting here looking at the paint chip page in the '51 Salesman's Handbook. A color I really like is the Silvertone Gray color. Two of my '51 project trucks were originally this color. It almost looks more like a light blue than grey (gray). I also like the Alpine Blue paint chip, but admit I've never seen a truck this color.

So I'll post pictures of a Silvertone Gray truck that I lifted off eBay a while back. Stu

festus555 09-28-2012 02:19 PM

The F5 ray posted is mine, Ray's paint looks great mine was a learning experience!

It's a little lighter shade than original, as it is mack green not meadow or jade green which I think was correct for '48.

I think these trucks look great whatever color!

MarkG. 09-28-2012 07:26 PM

call me what you want, but heres the thing. I am an International Harvester guy. I love their trucks, tractors and other equipment. They are #1 on my list. Ford is second on my list(dont take this the wrong way and think i dont like em'). the reason I dont have an IH truck, is they are very(extremely) rare in my neck of the woods. Your probly wondering what this has to do with anything, but it does. when i repaint my truck my two choices are red and green. The red would be IH red. the green would be a Ford green. on either color I plan on keeping the grille white, but its going the "off color" IH white. the running boards and front bumper will be black on either color also. The interior trim color on the red would be the 5-star extra cab, the green would have black trim. i have decided to go "custom" on it using stock/original type parts from either cab models.

question, comments, concerns? share em', but it doesnt mean i have to listen.:)

truckdog62563 09-28-2012 08:41 PM

Nothing wrong with loving an IHC. I've lusted after an R120 4x4 that sits near here for a long time, and barely missed out on an R140 4x4 a few years ago. It's all good. Our friends Havi and 1952henry are long time IHC guys too. Stu

havi 09-28-2012 09:04 PM

Personally, I like the meadow green with the sungate ivory grille, or sheridan blue with the argent/silver (or chrome) grille.... they just seem to pair up better. But the choice is yours. :)

Nothing wrong with an IH red, neither!

38 coupe 10-01-2012 06:08 PM

Red (Vermilion):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...s/100_3069.jpg

Green (not stock color):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5..._Mills/027.jpg