Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   How to Reset Alarm after replacing batteries? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1189959-how-to-reset-alarm-after-replacing-batteries.html)

towme 09-15-2012 10:03 PM

How to Reset Alarm after replacing batteries?

I have had to replace the 2 batteries in my 2005 PS 6.0L Crewcab today since at least one of the batteries is dead. Put 2 new batteries in and when I tried to start the truck the alarm goes off. I tried to mess with the key fob but that did not do anything. Tried to start the truck but it would not crank over. The dashboard light was flashing while the alarm was honking. I ended up disconnecting the passenger side battery to make the alarm stop. I appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to reset the alarm.
Right now I have reconnected the batteries and the alarm is not sounding as long as I am not trying to start the vehicle.

Many thanks for your help!

f-350 turbo 09-15-2012 10:14 PM

Do you know the name of the alarm? Normally you have to turn the ign. on and push a button (that came with the alarm) within 15 seconds or so. Sometimes the led is also the button. Its a momentary push button. Eric

towme 09-15-2012 10:32 PM

I believe that this is a factory alarm. There is a red-lighted button located below the fuse area next to the hood release. I pushed and held down on it but it did not seem to stop the alarm. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks, Eric.

daddykitty 09-15-2012 10:47 PM

i reset mine by cycling key on(not starting), key off 3 times quickly....then hit door lock on fob

cheezit 09-16-2012 06:38 AM

trick in the trade. leave the window down so if the doors lock your not locked out. put the key in and turn it on, then hook up both batteries. it works more often then not.

BPofMD 09-16-2012 09:53 AM

There wasn't an anti-theft system integrated into the system by FORD. HAS to be aftermarket.

towme 09-16-2012 06:55 PM

Many thanks to Daddykitty and Cheezit. Let me recount what happened:

I tried what Daddykitty had suggested and the alarm stops honking. However, the engine would not crank over when I tried to start it.

The next step is to try Cheezit's suggestion. I rolled the window down and put the key to ON position. Then disconnected the batteries. Then reconnected the passenger's side battery first--the alarm honked once. Then reconnected the driver's side battery. Turned the key from ON position to start and it started right up!!!

Bud, I could not tell if this 05 PSD Crewcab has a Ford factory security system or aftermaket. However, the Owner's manual does address a "security system" and there is a separate "Security System Manual". Just that they do not tell you what to do when replacing the batteries.

My thought on this is that the alarm system wants to see the key in the ignition to perhaps prove that the owner or authorized person is working on the truck before it allows it to crank over.

Many thanks and Cheezit you never failed!!!

Towme

cheezit 09-16-2012 07:57 PM

no worries happy to help

LisaP 01-25-2013 04:20 PM

Help!

2005 F150 Lariat

Dead battery (old)
Alarm sounded (finally figured out how to shut it off)
Bought and installed new battery
Can't start truck.

Cheezit's suggestion of key "on" disconnect and reconnect battery then "start" worked to start the engine.

Ran truck approx. 10 miles. Shut it off. Truck will not re-start!
Tried this twice, truck still will not re-start.

Each time we want to start the truck, we have to go through Cheezit's suggestion of disconnecting the battery.

Help!

If you have any ideas we would love to hear them.

Lisa

BLADE35 01-25-2013 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 12275874)
trick in the trade. leave the window down so if the doors lock your not locked out. put the key in and turn it on, then hook up both batteries. it works more often then not.

You Schooled us Thanks Cheezit:-X22

BLADE35 01-25-2013 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by LisaP (Post 12757603)
2005 F150 Lariat

Dead battery (old)
Alarm sounded (finally figured out how to shut it off)
Bought and installed new battery
Can't start truck.

Cheezit's suggestion of key "on" disconnect and reconnect battery then "start" worked to start the engine.

Ran truck approx. 10 miles. Shut it off. Truck will not re-start!
Tried this twice, truck still will not re-start.

Each time we want to start the truck, we have to go through Cheezit's suggestion of disconnecting the battery.

Help!

If you have any ideas we would love to hear them.

Lisa

Who Made the Alarm????

I know with Mine I can Hit the Buttons in a Certain order and the Alarm will Flash Codes threw the Red LED Light.

The Buttons are Normaly in the driverside Foot Kick Panel (The Panic Button)

Id call Whoever Made the Alarm see if therer is a Master Reset they can tell ya

BLADE35 01-25-2013 11:55 PM

Oh and Soon Rather than Later would be Best here Cause when you unhook and Hook up the bats the truck Does a Master Reset all the Gauges and everything do a Sweep and reset and I assume the PCM/TCM Does a Reset to0!!!!

Worst Case Unhook the Alarm/remote start till you figure it out

Mine is a Python alarm made by company called Directed Electronics and IIRC Has LifeTime Warrenty. And Directed Electronics make a Few Diffrent Brands so you might be in Luck

LisaP 01-26-2013 09:07 AM

Thank You

After several attempts, I have figured out the problem.

When I purchased the truck used, it came with a remote starter from Compustar that never worked properly. I tried many attempts to reset it them gave up and put it in the drawer.

To my dismay, it was actually the remote starter system that was enabling the truck from re-starting. After finding the fuse and disabling the entire after market remote start, I was able to start the truck up just fine!

What a rigermarol!

Thanks all for your help. My best advice is never to install an after market remote starter! It's more headache than what it's worth.

Lisa:-drink

BLADE35 01-26-2013 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by LisaP (Post 12759781)
!

Thanks all for your help. My best advice is never to install an after market remote starter! It's more headache than what it's worth.

Lisa:-drink

You just need to Professionaly install a Quality Unit

I have a Hidden Toggel switch I can Flip to take my Alarm/Remote starter out of the Loop if it does Mess up

Floyd_g 11-13-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 12275874)

Does it matter what side you disconnect and reconnect first driver side or passenger?