Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   should I have walked? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1188630-should-i-have-walked.html)

hink10 09-10-2012 12:17 AM

should I have walked?

Okay, I went to look at the first 2005 Excursion 6.0 in my search. I have looked at many online, most in the country I think, and thought it may be a winner after talking with the owner a couple of times. I got a ride up as I had cash in hand ready to buy. Didn't have his full name and was going to look at two so couldn't get a casher's check so I had 210 $100 bills. Had to search every branch of my bank to find that much cash with no notice on a Saturday. Thought I would just be able to get a cashier's check and leave the name blank, no go. I hate carrying that much cash.

Anyway it's a 2005 black limited, 93K miles, loaded, one owner, Banks Big Hoss system with PDA (yeah, I know!), aftermarket stereo with amp etc. Asking $21K, was planning to offer less depending on condition. It was a 3.5 hour drive to see it. The EX was not at his house, at a buddy's place closer to traffic.

I got there before he did. The first thing I did was look under the rear, it was a missing shock! I then felt under the doors for rust. There was some on all doors, not too bad, just under lip behind the rubber seal. It's a common place for rust up north. Was told no rust, owner said he didn't realize it was there... plausible.

I brought a creeper and got underneath and saw oil on bell housing area and trans pan. It was hard to get around as it was on grass but tried to see where it was coming from. Couldn't tell but in retrospect, I suppose it wasn't too bad but I know an oil leak can a real pain or nothing to worry about. After reading, if it's just a weep, it's common on these motors and not to worry. The owner said he had not noticed any drips in his garage.

I was studying the tires, front's were worn much more then the rear. Upon further inspection of the rear, the tire treads were individually separating from the tire! Only on the DS tire however. I pointed it out and he said he had not noticed, also plausible as I was looking very close and almost missed it. He said he bought cheap tires, they were an off brand but he later recalled they were made by Cooper. I was wondering what would cause it, burning the tires, defective cheap tires? Plus it showed he never rotated the tires, not worn evenly front to rear.

Back to the shock, first thing I said when he got there was "you are missing a shock". He said "yeah, the bolt broke so I took it off". Sounds like he has been driving it that way. He said he couldn't just get the bolt and sleeve, he would have had to buy a new shock? WTF I thought! I wouldn't think twice about a new pair of shocks myself!

That turned me off right away so after that maybe I over reacted to everything else I saw. I must admit I very picky, I took great care of my last Ex before I wrecked it. It was an 03 and almost perfect.

I then noticed the pass side mirror housing and wide angle mirror both broken, never mentioned any of this to me on the phone by the way. I know it can be fixed but could have mentioned it. He said He didn't know what happened, maybe in a parking lot or something? I didn't buy it.

I looked over the motor well, smelled some oil, looked clean but I suspect it was well cleaned before being put up for sale. It did look pretty good. No residue at degauss reservoir but I opened and looked and from what I could tell it had a green tint. That was shining a flashlight in. Wasn't completely sure it was green. I later asked if he had changed the coolant, he thought for a second and said he thought he did once at about 50K. I asked if it was green or gold, he thought for a second and said he thought it was green.

The trans fluid looked good, he has has a clutch plate or something replaced already. Said the trans shop said it was scored or something? Abuse, stuff happens or from running the Banks? Who knows? Said he ran the Banks on setting 4 most of the time for economy. Said 20-22 mpg highway.

There was also a bit of a wet spot near the exhaust manifold on the DS., not bad though.

He started it up and it fired well (cold start), I forgot to look at the exhaust right away, but looked good when I did look, no unusual oder coming from the exhaust. He walked away and I let it warm up and kept looking, pretty well decided I wasn't taking it home though.

So I walked Up to the garage where he was sitting with his buddy and asked if he ever checked the temp difference between the oil and coolant. He looked puzzled and I briefly explained. He said he never had any problems with the EGR/oil cooler.

I asked if I could take a quick test drive. He said "yeah, I'll go with you". Wasn't crazy about him coming along, I never asked anyone to ride along when I have sold. So we were walking to the EX, I was heading toward the driver's side and he said "I'll drive". I thought once again WTF!!!! I couldn't believe it! At that time I knew I wouldn't be taking it home. I didn't even argue the point, wasn't worth my breath in my opinion. I just thought, are you really that stupid? Not letting a potential buyer get behind the wheel. I'm going to give you a pile of cash and not drive it first?

Am I crazy or is that odd? He drove around a long country block basically, romped on it a few times, seemed okay. He took his hands off the wheel and said, "see, it tracks straight, doesn't pull at all". I might have known that if I WAS DRIVING!!! :-X19.

After that I just heard blah blah blah... I was king of pissed. What did he think, I was going to run off with his EX while my 75 year old mom was sitting in her car waiting for me? What a wasted day i thought.

I left and went to eat lunch. I called the other guy in the same area with an EX, I knew I wouldn't buy it, but wanted to compare. He was asking $24,950 I believe. He had added a bullet proof EGR, oil cooler and remote filter mount from bulletproof.com and installed a new turbo, front end parts, axle seals, Warn hubs etc. He said on the phone that the bumper was rusty and the seats were worn. Well he was correct, it was trashed, he carried two big dogs and family everywhere and it showed. In fairness, I kind of surprised him, wasn't really planning to go there. Thought I would be driving the shiny black one home. Anyway, he was a nice guy. Did the work himself, competent mechanic it seemed. Anyway, POS and more money. Oh yeah, he bought at 100K, it has 130K. Previous owner and he were both smokers.

That made me second guess walking away from the first one. Overall it looked very good, paint good except the rust under doors. Inside was good, a little smoke oder, a few of his friends smoke, some staining on carpet, not bad and would clean up. The other stuff could be fixed too. I wasn't sure about the oil leak and coolant though. May have bought it if it wasn't for that, who knows. It was just a series of all those things then saying he would drive, I had to leave. Before I did, I asked his bottom price, he said $20K. Stated another guy was sort of interested and was "about there", I guess meaning at that price. My plan was to offer $19K cash and we'd probably meet in the middle at $20K. That was before I knew it would take $1000 in tires, mirror fix, rust repair and whatever else. I had planned on investing in some common fixes, EGR etc and planning on spending several grand if needed but not on those things

So, what do you all think, I know it was a good price, but the issues and not letting me drive? I wasn't sure about the black, but when I saw it I must say, it's pretty sweet. Sorry for the long post, it's been a long day!

AlaskanEx 09-10-2012 12:38 AM

i would have walked away when he said he was driving. thats BS and absolutely ridiculous!

man, it seems like looking at the 6.0's takes a fine tooth comb. lot more time and energy.

i would have walked from both.

ExxWhy 09-10-2012 12:52 AM

Not only walked, but RAN!

I may be crazy, but for 21K, I expect it to be nearly perfect. All those little things are an indication to me it's not been taken care of.

Kdr358 09-10-2012 01:19 AM

I also agree, run. The broken shock would have been enough for me! Also the fact he wouldn't let you drive it is another red flag. Ive seen a few by chicago where I live floating around.

Curt's05 09-10-2012 05:40 AM

Keep looking, it took me about a year to find my 1 owner ex eb 6.0. They sell fast if they are in great/good condition, you are ready by the fact you have the money & are picky. Good luck on you quest for a better excursion! Here is one for 14k in mn craigslist; http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...256079636.html

NJ2KX 09-10-2012 05:54 AM

I'd have offered him 16K , tell him that's to cover half of what you showed him it needs. Tires & EGR could cost that. Let him stew over it, not too many buyers would be offering him such a clean deal. The worst case is he says no. That's all it's worth in my humble opinion.

Charles

TrdLtly 09-10-2012 10:04 AM

I certainly would have walked. I will not buy a vehicle that is missing parts or has mismatched parts. It tells me that they didn't have the money to properly maintain it, which could mean more maintenance for me. Another rule of thumb for me is cheap, mismatched or under rated tires. We depend way to much on our vehicles to spend that kind of money on something that needs work. BE PATIENT, unless you have a lot of extra time and money to put into maintenance of your X.

I bought a beautiful one for $5300. Had a bad engine, so I replaced it. I now have a reliable X worth more then I have invested.

If you really have to have "that one" then low ball him with cash like Charles said, and see what happens. Make sure you check out SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search.. There are a number of them within 150 mi of you.

tims01 09-10-2012 12:18 PM

lol .. tell ya what .. ill sell you mine for $18k ... ill even pick you up at the airport.. :) all it needs right now is new shocks .. 2001 2wd 7.3 :) ... that will leave you plenty to drive home on .. and you can camp in the back on the drive home :) ;) :)

EXv10 09-10-2012 12:55 PM

Nobody is going to take my truck for a drive without me, they might just keep going. But the owner driving won't cut it with me. Too high anyway. The shock was no biggy, maybe he just didn't have time to mess with it.

hink10 09-10-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 12256051)
Nobody is going to take my truck for a drive without me, they might just keep going. But the owner driving won't cut it with me. Too high anyway. The shock was no biggy, maybe he just didn't have time to mess with it.

Well I did leave my 75 year old mother as collateral! He and his buddy would have been there to restrain her. She's pretty tough, but I think they could have taken her. ;) I understand being protective of the vehicle, I would be too. The issue wasn't so much him riding with but driving.

The shock was kind of a big deal because he just dismissed it and said he couldn't just but the bolt, had to buy a whole new shock. He said it as if he could care less and had no plans to replace. It had been like that for awhile. Anyone that cares about their vehicle or selling it would have had the shock fixed. He was also a Duramax guy, I think he was selling to get a Government Motors vehicle. To each his own I guess, but I believe you need to be a Ford person to really care for and appreciate your Ford. IMHO of course! :-X22

hink10 09-10-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by TrdLtly (Post 12255754)
I certainly would have walked. I will not buy a vehicle that is missing parts or has mismatched parts. It tells me that they didn't have the money to properly maintain it, which could mean more maintenance for me. Another rule of thumb for me is cheap, mismatched or under rated tires. We depend way to much on our vehicles to spend that kind of money on something that needs work.

My thought too! I have never or would never put sub-par tires on an Excursion or any other vehicle for that matter. I would be diligent about rotating them also.

hink10 09-10-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by NJ2KX (Post 12255161)
I'd have offered him 16K , tell him that's to cover half of what you showed him it needs. Tires & EGR could cost that. Let him stew over it, not too many buyers would be offering him such a clean deal. The worst case is he says no. That's all it's worth in my humble opinion.

Charles

He would laugh at me. Maybe if it sits for awhile. It's really the principle at this point. A few issues can mean much larger issues.

hink10 09-10-2012 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Curt's05 (Post 12255134)
Keep looking, it took me about a year to find my 1 owner ex eb 6.0. They sell fast if they are in great/good condition, you are ready by the fact you have the money & are picky. Good luck on you quest for a better excursion! Here is one for 14k in mn craigslist; 2005 Ford Excursion Diesel !!!

That does look interesting. A guy could do a lot of repair, body and engine for at that price. I could have the body fixed and do studs, bulletproof egr/oil cooler and exhaust and probably still be in reasonable price range for a "bulletproofed" 6.0. I will have to run some numbers.

These things aren't going cheap right now, they are asking in the $30s for low mile Excursions. Crazy, especially with the gamble of the 6.0. Don't know that they are getting that however. Anything with reasonable miles and in the low $20s seem like a good deal right now.

TrdLtly 09-10-2012 05:31 PM

Here is a good looking 7.3L that looks all done if you like the lifted look: 2000 Ford Excursion

Here is another one. Gas V10. Needs work for $2900 (throw a Cummins in it): 01 FORD EXCURSION LIMITED 4X4 V10 NEEDS SOME TLC

Stewart_H 09-10-2012 09:39 PM

should I have walked?
Yes.

Stewart