Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Hub Centric Wheels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1187488-hub-centric-wheels.html)

CountryD 09-04-2012 10:03 PM

Hub Centric Wheels

So, Ive been looking at wheels lately and got a question for all you guys running aftermarket wheels. Was told by a Wheel shop that I needed to run Hub-Centric wheels due to the load rating. Is this true?

He said the only Hub-Centric wheels that are made and look killer are the MHT wheels (Fuel Wheels like the Hostage). He said almost all wheels are Lug-Centric wheels and they reduce the load rating on bigger trucks like the Ford Super Dutys.

He told me that the Fuel wheels are rated at 3500lbs and almost all other after market wheels are rated much lower, meaning that since they are Lug-Centric wheels that all the force of the weight of the truck and Payload are on the lug nuts instead of the Wheels.

Is this true, because I was looking at BMF wheels (Novakanes) and I called and talked to BMF and they could only tell me that their wheels are made for Super Dutys.

Oh one more thing. The Wheel guy told me to make the Lug Centric wheels (SAFE), that I would need to run Lug-Centric adapters (Spacers) to make them Hub Centric, but that even with the Spacer they still wont be Hub-Centric, that the weight will still ride on the Lug Nuts and not the Wheel itself.
Any Thoughts?

Thanks

Quad Racer 09-04-2012 10:43 PM

Most of the aftermarket wheels that you see being run are lug centric. Most folks have no problems that I can find. If you tow heavy often stick to a forged wheel IMO. Make sure to use the correct lugs for the wheel type and torque them to the proper specs. Also keep a stock set of lugs in the truck for the spare unless you get a set of 5 aftermarket. Left alot out cliff notes. Do your research, you'll be good.:-X22

Painted Horse 09-04-2012 11:19 PM

Yes the factory wheels are rated higher than most aftermarket wheels. The Upfitter guide has the exact rating, I think it was 3525 lbs per wheel. So if you use after market wheels most of them are rated at 3000 lbs So you give up around 500 lbs per wheel in your wheel rating.

Same goes for most of the floatation type tires that folks put on. The tires that are sized with diameter in inches vs the LT Metric sizes ( ie 35x12.5R20) are usually 65 psi vs the 80 psi for the LT Metric tires. And at 65 psi they are usually around 3100 lbs per tire. So if you are going to a floatation type tire, It's a mute point that your wheels are rated lower, since the tire are also.

If you are looking for mean look to your truck, Go that route. If you are towing heavy loads and need all your load capacity, Stick with a hub centric wheel and LT Metric tire in the 80 psi rating.

CountryD 09-05-2012 07:28 PM

Thanks fellas, I dont do any towing, well just my Fifth wheel Once or twice a year. But other than that, I dont tow much. Thanks again.

CountryD 09-05-2012 07:29 PM

One more question, do I need to run a Hub centric adapter? Or will just running the wheels and proper Lugs be OK?