Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aerostar (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum33/)
-   -   Power Mirror Switch (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1185760-power-mirror-switch.html)

92aeroXLT 08-28-2012 11:22 AM

Power Mirror Switch

Hey all.. my 88 power mirror switch is bad (per the ford dealer). My mirrors only go in 2 directions... my question is this.. can I get any power mirror switch from the same era (explorer, econoline, mustang)? Is it only the shroud that is different? Thanks for your input!

xlt4wd90 08-28-2012 03:29 PM

I would take the old switch to the local scrapyards and look for a van like yours and get a matching switch. If you can not find a van like yours, then look at those other cars you mentioned; pull out their switches and compare. That's about the surest way to find a match.

Jose A. 08-28-2012 06:21 PM

that's a typical failure mode for those switches, the left and right or the up and down stop working. I tried to fix one but there is circuit board inside that burns out or shorts.

I have a good working one but the white "arrows" have been erased from use, also the grey plastic wiring plug needs to be matched to the harness plug in your van, they used a small plug and a large plug, I have both. can you take a picture of your switch and wires with the plug? (you will have to remove the door panel to remove the switch assembly, it is held by two 8mm nuts).

if you want it, pm me.

92aeroXLT 08-29-2012 10:36 AM

Thanks for the input.. Jose.. thanks for the offer!! However I am restoring this van, so I would love to find a switch in great shape. I have found several Mustang power mirror switches from 87-93 on ebay.. I just wasn't sure if they would fit. Sounds like I need to hit the scrap yards! The van is getting new sending unit in it to fix the gas gauge.. I'll have to wait until it gets back to see the back of it...

Jose A. 08-31-2012 02:56 PM

de nada.

here's a good piece of news and to return the favors that others here have done for me:

today I parked a Damon Challenger RV, and guess what? it has an identical power mirror switch like the Aerostar. The RV is/was made by Damon Corp.

check with Damon RV Parts Suppliers, they must have the replacement switch (less the metal mounting part, but you have that already). If you need more info from this particular RV, let me know, I have access to it.

92aeroXLT 09-15-2012 10:08 AM

I'm relying on your expertise here.. after scouring every single junk yard in the area, no power mirror switch is to be found.. I have found a number of them on 92-97... is there a way to rewire this to fit the connector in my 88? Or if anyone comes across one for an 86-88 in a junk yard.. let me know so I can buy it-- if it's in good shape! Another random question... are the 89-91 mirror switches the same as the 86-88?

MarylandAero 09-15-2012 12:02 PM

I'm looking for a switch for my '95 with little luck. Where did you find the later switches? Thanks...

Jose A. 09-15-2012 12:48 PM

I've owned Aerostar since 1986 when they came out. The power mirror Switch FACE in all three of them is identical, the differences are:

1) the wiring plugs at the end of the harness and at the door harness, (smaller plug in earlier Aerostar, bigger plugs in later Aerostar), but the wires are identical, so all it takes is changing your plug to a newer or older plug as needed. (the wires are removable from the plastic plug).

2) the circuit board under the switch's FACE is different in early switches, so you cannot exchange the circuit board from an early switch to a later switch. I already tried.

3) otherwise, the switches are identical on the outside, same mounting base, same two nuts, same number of wires.

I have a mirror switch with either the small or large plug. Pulled from a 1990 van. The < > arrows silkscreened on top of each switch pad and the text UP DOWN, has been "erased" or rubbed off from use. Otherwise it works fine in all positions in both mirrors. I tested it in my 1997 Aerostar recently.

If you want to buy it, send me a PM. Take a picture of your plug and send it to me, I will send you the switch with the correct plug.

Otherwise you'll have to go to RV Parts Suppliers to get a new switch, and I don't know how they configure the wiring plug. I only saw an RV with an identical switch mounted on the dash, and another RV with a similar switch that looked slightly smaller.

Jose A. 09-15-2012 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 92aeroXLT (Post 12273653)
I'm relying on your expertise here.. after scouring every single junk yard in the area, no power mirror switch is to be found.. I have found a number of them on 92-97... is there a way to rewire this to fit the connector in my 88? Or if anyone comes across one for an 86-88 in a junk yard.. let me know so I can buy it-- if it's in good shape! Another random question... are the 89-91 mirror switches the same as the 86-88?

all you have to do is remove each wire from the replacement switch and insert them into your old plug, the wire connectors are removable from the plug. you need a tiny screwdriver to bend the tabs.

Make sure you MARK each wire color in your old plug before removing them, otherwise the wire colors in a newer switch are the same as the old.

92aeroXLT 09-15-2012 04:57 PM

all the power mirror switches I've found are in Columbus Ohio.. sounds like I'll be heading back that way to see if I can get one again..... I've got the connectors out of the plug and labelled the plug for the colored wires... Hope this works!!

Muffinman 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

I'm going back to the junk yard Sunday, cause I found a cherry inside tan Eddie Bauer van. I'll check to see if its still there and all white letters still looking good. I tried to use a new gimbal control cause it looks so neat, out of an Eddie Bauer Excursion. I need to rewire the new harness to make it work.

I been taking every good part I can find all day today. I even got the captains chairs in the center row cause they fit where the old bench is now. Clean as new inside panels, headliner, all looks great for being a 1991. got the complete side door rollers in great shape, New cargo net,All the fuses, lamps, headlight lamps. It even had a new air filter, and Ford lower radiator hose in the back all for $16.00

92aeroXLT 09-16-2012 01:45 PM

Muffinman.. if it had it will you let me know? I'm going to hit the junkyards again to see if I can get a jack for the shorty.. and I'd love to find a cargo net... and the "electronic four wheel drive" badges for the 94..

Muffinman 09-16-2012 04:54 PM

I'll check it out Monday, It's been raining all day so it's muddy today. I'll check for the mirrors\window and door locks, while I'm there.

92aeroXLT 09-17-2012 07:20 PM

Here's the update... got a power mirror switch for a 96.. did some wire splicing.. and ta da!! Power mirrors again! I got a bunch of door clips... the power mirror switch, a slew of interior screws.. and the screw to hold the jack.. all for $5!!! Thanks to all for your help!!

Muffinman 09-17-2012 08:38 PM

I go back today and the damn thing got half the inside picked clean. least I got the rest of the parts I needed first. The seats, rear door shocks and door locks where gone. I was 'there early too. I did find 14' of #4 street wires under the carpet with a blade fuse block. Its mine now.