Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Fuel pump (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1184135-fuel-pump.html)

halaferd 08-21-2012 07:28 AM

Fuel pump

I have a '91 f250 7.3 and had read somewhere that instead of replacing the mechanical supply pump, an electric would be better.

Agree? If so what psi & brand of elec pump is best?

Thanks guys

weezer4117 08-21-2012 08:37 AM

This is the one I have. Little salty but works great. This pump is made to pull instead of push fuel so mounting under the hood is no problem.

Facet Integral Filter Pump - 40223 - Discount Yacht Supplies, Vetus Nautical Accessories, Scandvik Parts, Garmin Marine Electronics

BeerCan500 08-21-2012 08:56 AM

Mechanical Supply Pump...aka...lift pump

Originally Posted by halaferd (Post 12188785)
I have a '91 f250 7.3 and had read somewhere that instead of replacing the mechanical supply pump, an electric would be better.

Agree? If so what psi & brand of elec pump is best?

Thanks guys

Hello halaferd, I would have to disagree with the electric fuel pump. Why? In my feeble mind...Yes, they would probably eliminate most hard starts due to air intrusion, but they can also mask some air intrusion problems that really should be repaired. Also in my feeble mind...I think aftermarket (out-of-tank) electric fuel pumps seem to not get along with the elements depending on where you live. There are probably other cons as well. Others may eleborate on them.

As far as the mechanical fuel lift pump...they are usually less expensive and much more reliable. Remember, this is according to my feeble mind. Why do I say this? First, the ford engineers are not dummies. (debatable).
Second, I've never owned a vehicle that utilized electric fuel pumps. I have owned my 1986 F250 6.9 for 16 of its 26 year lifespan, still drive her daily, and have never had any problems nor replaced the lift pump. In all my years driving other vehicles I only had to replace one and that was on my 7 year old 1969 dodge charger rt 440ci 4 speed.

Hope all the blabbering on helps you!

BeerCan500

flainn 08-21-2012 10:11 AM

I've run both on two different trucks.

I replaced the lift pump on my '86 with an electric (the one everyone says is crap, a Mr. Gasket diesel pump) and it worked well until I sold the truck. Having an electric makes priming the fuel system much easier -- just turn on the key and push on the Schrader valve atop the fuel filter, and release when you start getting fuel. No need to crank and crank and crank until your batteries or starter die.

But, a cam-driven lift pump is simpler, probably more reliable, and if it fails I've heard a good injector pump will still keep you going until you can get somewhere to buy a replacement lift pump. An electric that fails might not let fuel pass at all.

There's pros and cons for both. I'm sticking with my mechanical lift pump for now, and I've got a spare (since I replaced it thinking it was the problem, but it turned out not to be).

halaferd 08-21-2012 10:19 AM

I'm probly sticking w the mechanical. I'm only replacing it bc the truck is 20+ yrs old and appears to have been sitting for a period in its life. Im also replacing the injectors and glow plugs so i figured since it was so cheap... Why not eliminate one more old piece of the fuel system.
Thanks guys

flainn 08-21-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by halaferd (Post 12189278)
I'm probly sticking w the mechanical. I'm only replacing it bc the truck is 20+ yrs old and appears to have been sitting for a period in its life. Im also replacing the injectors and glow plugs so i figured since it was so cheap... Why not eliminate one more old piece of the fuel system.
Thanks guys

It's an easy replacement, just undo the fuel lines and two bolts. Make sure the cam is in the right position before you install the pump, though, or you can break the arm off when you start the engine ... and from what I've heard, you've got to take the engine out to remove the sump pan to get it out of there.

I was able to rotate the engine with a 15/16" socket and a breaker bar on the crank bolt, and using a hand mirror and bright light to check that the cam lobe was pointing up.

BeerCan500 08-21-2012 12:05 PM

Repacing injectors and glow plugs

Thanks guys

Hello again halaferd, Hey man...before you replace those injectors I would take em out and have em cleaned and pop tested. If they are within specs your good to go...lots of places will do that for a minimal fee as compared to an 8 set of injectors.

As far as glow plugs go, I would recommend you purchase MotorCraft ZD1A.

I guess you already know all that tho. Good luck...

halaferd 08-21-2012 01:24 PM

Haha no and I never could know enough anyway so any info is always good info

BeerCan500 08-21-2012 02:09 PM

Injectors

Originally Posted by halaferd (Post 12189823)
Haha no and I never could know enough anyway so any info is always good info

By the way...if you decide to have your injectors cleaned and pop tested (at least that way if you have to replace them you will know for a fact they are bad) you might want to search the forums for R & R ing injectors. That way you will know it is being done correctly. There are some things that could go wrong!

BeerCan500

tjc transport 08-21-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BeerCan500 (Post 12189540)
As far as glow plugs go, I would recommend you purchase MotorCraft ZD1A.

negative. ZD-1 is for 87 and older with the old style glow plug controller. 87 and newer with the solid state glow plug controller uses the ZD-9 glow plug

BeerCan500 08-21-2012 05:17 PM

Glow Plugs

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 12190596)
negative. ZD-1 is for 87 and older with the old style glow plug controller. 87 and newer with the solid state glow plug controller uses the ZD-9 glow plug

Sorry about that...you are right...I should have noticed we are talking about a 91...my badd

tjc transport 08-21-2012 05:35 PM

doo doo happens!! :D

'94IDITurbo7.3 08-21-2012 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by BeerCan500 (Post 12189056)
Also in my feeble mind...I think aftermarket (out-of-tank) electric fuel pumps seem to not get along with the elements depending on where you live.
As far as the mechanical fuel lift pump...they are usually less expensive and much more reliable.

These electric fuel pumps that users on here use DO NOT replace the intake fuel pumps. they just replace the mechanical lift pump.
These are the SAME electric fuel pumps that refer semi trucks use and those run 24/7, 365.

Originally Posted by flainn (Post 12189255)
But, a cam-driven lift pump is simpler, probably more reliable, and if it fails I've heard a good injector pump will still keep you going until you can get somewhere to buy a replacement lift pump. An electric that fails might not let fuel pass at all.

There's pros and cons for both. I'm sticking with my mechanical lift pump for now, and I've got a spare (since I replaced it thinking it was the problem, but it turned out not to be).

the mechanical lift pumps WILL pump diesel INTO the crankcase if they fail. not sure that anybody would want that.

Electric fuel pumps can keep up with IP demands and users report increase in performance. a better, more consistent fuel supply will make the IP and injectors last longer.

looking back on it now, i wish i would have done e-fuel when i replaced my leaking mech lift pump.

joshofalltrades 08-21-2012 08:25 PM

some would call me an extremist here, but i chose to have the mechanical pump PLUS an electric that ONLY runs when the glow plugs are lit or i hold the pushbutton for it. this allows me to prime the system effortlessly when air intrusion occors, while maintaining the simplicity and durability of the mechanical pump, especially since i replaced it only a year ago. i'm happy with it.
also, many who run alternative fuels experience short life from e-pumps, but no problem from the mechanical units.

FORDF250HDXLT 08-21-2012 08:28 PM

Thanks guys

don't do it!
a few folks have done this exact same thing,only to find out that the replacements made in China today fail shortly after replacing their old original functioning lift pumps.
if it ain't broke don't fix it,but if you do,upgrade to the duralift e-pump.:-X22
(yes it's true,i am very e-fuel biased.but no one want's to see ya broken down due to crap replacement parts sold today.)
personally if i were a mechanical lift pump fan,i would buy used from the salvage yard before i would buy new.the originals were known (as you know) to last many,many years.