Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   60 electric wiper changeover (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1183345-60-electric-wiper-changeover.html)

99hosss 08-17-2012 01:34 PM

60 electric wiper changeover

Hello forum, my 60 vacuum wipers are on their way out- how hard is it to change to electric? Thanks to all

3414 08-17-2012 01:55 PM

If you get the switch, motor, and linkage from a 57 to 60, easy. Usually F600 and up had electric, and they were optional on others.

spurredon 08-17-2012 04:16 PM

That's right, you must have everything from an electric set up. The linkage for a vac. set is different from an electric set.

spurredon 08-17-2012 04:41 PM

Check this out! 1957-1960 f100 ford truck windshield wiper system | eBay

99hosss 08-17-2012 07:55 PM

Thanks guys- Spurredon-I'm placing a bid on that tonite-Thanks! I saw a lone ebay motor earlier, must've missed that whole setup. Now if only the seller is on the up-n-up

GB SISSON 08-17-2012 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did it for a hundred bucks, but if I had access to a junkyard with a minivan tailgate wiper motor, maybe 25 bucks (I already had some old push-pull switch).... These motors like from a backhoe, or a speed boat swing an arc of about 110 degrees. The transmission is part of the unit. I cut the v shaped arm off the back of my wiper motor and welded it to a 1/2 " nut and tapped in a couple of set screws. Slipped the 1/2" nut over the knurled wiper shaft that rocks 110 degrees and kept my vaccuum arms and all the gear under the dash. The rocking back and forth of these type electric motors mimics the action of th vaccuum wiper. I think the system I'm talking about is called a 'self reversing motor'. It works fine, but maybe it's just me.... I enjoy an engineering project to tackle after work.

willowbilly3 08-18-2012 05:16 AM

That's my kind of fix GB. I built a whole car doing things like that. (whew!!, I'll never try that again, took about 8 years).

spurredon 08-18-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 99hosss (Post 12178092)
Thanks guys- Spurredon-I'm placing a bid on that tonite-Thanks! I saw a lone ebay motor earlier, must've missed that whole setup. Now if only the seller is on the up-n-up

Looks like you won it if that was you the only bidder!

GB SISSON 08-18-2012 01:50 PM

Congrats if you won the bid! You saved yourself a lot of work! And Willowbilly, good thing we don't have to charge by the hour for our 'creations'. Store bought stuff would be cheap by comparison, and let's face it, not everyone wants a Frankentruck }>

99hosss 08-19-2012 03:41 PM

Yeah, that was me , can't believe I fell lucky on that one- thanks to spurredon, I hopefully will do the changeover and move on. Thanksagain spurr, and ya'll for the much needed info

spurredon 08-19-2012 07:42 PM

Glad it worked out for ya! I just put an electric motor on mine as well. I haven't had any working wipers in awhile. Now that the mornings are so foggy with the temps dropping I really needed to do something. I have a couple good vac. motors but my linkage is for electric motor, not at all compatible. So I found this motor on good ol' ebay and the rest is history.

NEW 1956 57 58 59 1960 FORD PICKUP TRUCK MOTORCRAFT WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR KIT | eBay

Not an original by any means but a Ford replacement part! It even came with a switch that would accept the old bezel and knob. Probably NumberDummy, has sold a lot of these!

GB SISSON 08-20-2012 10:37 AM

If I had a hammer right here, I'd knock myself upside the head ! I guess it's time for me to get involved in Ebay. Bid on a motorcycle tank ten years ago and lost it in the last minute or so, so I decided I wasn't computer savvy enough to post my bid in time to win. Now I see there are a lot of 'buy it now' sales. I could handle that. My chinese motor cost me as much as that ebay unit and then it was all that work afterwards. Maybe that's why Mcguiver isn't still on the air.........

99hosss 08-20-2012 11:13 AM

Yeah, I know what ya mean about ebay, my first time I was all ready to do the whole- "wait till 2 seconds left, then beat all of em with my last second bid". The clock ticked down- I was up at midnite, beat n tired, ready to win this bid- 5,4,3,2- tried to enter my last second bid- message came up " you must first log in to place a bid! f$%^#@#!!

spurredon 08-20-2012 06:34 PM

The first rule I have for buying on Ebay is being patient. If somone wants to snipe me at the last second, so be it. There is always another somethin' or other coming along soon that I can't live without. I figure out what a part is worth to me and stick to that price. Even at live auctions I have seen folks get caught up in bidding wars and pay way too much for stuff. Sometimes they act as if they are proving a point by spending too much! My buddy was with me at a farm auction a couple years ago and was bidding on kicker wagons. There were several that went thru and when the last one came up he ran it up to $700! The only thing good on it was the running gear from setting outside but he sure showed those other guys!
Even old duffers like me can buy parts on line!

willowbilly3 08-21-2012 05:26 AM

If it's an auction I really want, I just use a sniping service. It' costs nothing if you lose and just pennys if you win. That doesn't guarantee anything since lots of other people use them too. I sell most of my stuff on there with buy it now. I know I miss the occasional bidding war doing that but I find people like to just pull the trigger and buy it, not mess around with the bidding and wait an extra week for the auction to end before their part is shipped.