Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   upgraded fuel pump? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1181003-upgraded-fuel-pump.html)

strokin'_tatsch 08-07-2012 11:04 AM

upgraded fuel pump?

Hey guys. I have the tank dropped out of my truck right now and have been trying to find a pump that moves a little more fuel. Before I pulled the tank I was losing fuel pressure at WOT. Of course my truck isn't stock and the fuel pump that is currently in it is an Airtex I think.

Anybody know of any better pumps? It's for the back 19 gallon tank. I haven't found any yet. Even looked for them for the lightning.

UNTAMND 08-07-2012 11:14 AM

Any aftermarket mustang pump will fit.
Get a 190lph and you'll be fine. Or put a 255 in it if you think you're gonna add a bunch of power later

strokin'_tatsch 08-07-2012 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by UNTAMND (Post 12141487)
Any aftermarket mustang pump will fit.
Get a 190lph and you'll be fine. Or put a 255 in it if you think you're gonna add a bunch of power later

That's good to know! Are the 255's or 190's as reliable as the stockers? I know that with our diesels we have some issues getting a big fuel pump to be as reliable as a stock pump. And the stang pump fits with no mods?

So i'm doing some thinking. The fuel tank is out of the truck. Now would be the time to upgrade if I'm ever going to. It only has a single 19 gallon tank. The 33 gallon Bronco tanks fit these trucks right?

UNTAMND 08-07-2012 12:54 PM

You will need the bronco straps (or 6" pipe and long bolts with current straps)
But the big issue is you'll need the bronco sending unit and pickup. I lengthened all mine but I really hate it.
Bronco pump/sending unit is not cheap though.
Awesome upgrade. I say do it.

The walbro pumps are great. No issues.

strokin'_tatsch 08-07-2012 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by UNTAMND (Post 12141819)
You will need the bronco straps (or 6" pipe and long bolts with current straps)
But the big issue is you'll need the bronco sending unit and pickup. I lengthened all mine but I really hate it.
Bronco pump/sending unit is not cheap though.
Awesome upgrade. I say do it.

The walbro pumps are great. No issues.

So do you have a Walbro and a 33 gallon tank?

EDIT: I need to look at this a little more. It looks like I have to get the Bronco pickup and pump together.. Ughhh. That's makes the price go up quite a bit. I mean i'm looking at having to do the same thing to my 19 gallon tank, I just need to see if I can stomach spending around $700 right now.

UNTAMND 08-07-2012 01:26 PM

Yup. My 95 f250 with a 460 has a bronco tank, modified stock sending unit/pickup and a walbro 255hp pump.

I'm sure a new pump will be fine compared to a 20+ year pump. They are either 90 or 110lph. I'd prefer a bigger one but unless you have bigger injectors then 24s the stock pump should do fine.

That kinda money makes my butthole pucker. I can't tell you to invest that money. You'll have to figure that out yourself.

I say you need the bronco sender that way empty is empty. My truck reads full but I need to run it dry to know when it's empty. Or go by miles on the tank.
700+ don't make me too thrilled and I say not worth it. I had 200 or so into mine and thought it was a lot.

strokin'_tatsch 08-07-2012 02:47 PM

I'm calling junkyards for a bronco pickup. See what I can find. Having to buy the pickup, sending unit, and pump as one unit is the killer. If I can get a pickup for cheap, put a new sending unit on it, and a good 255 walbro on it I will come out cheaper than buying the whole unit and then buying the 255 pump.

When I compare to putting a new pump/sending unit in my 19 gallon tank, the price isn't as bad. I NEED to do the 33 gallon swap so I don't have to carry so much extra fuel in cans when I go off roading. I also NEED to get a better pump.

The pump that is in my truck has about 300 miles on it, but I went through my reciepts and found that it is an Airtex pump. Why I did that, I don't know, but I bet it was b/c I planned to do the 33 gallon tank and didn't want to spend too much on that tank. I know this. At WOT with this pump my fuel pressure will drop to about 28psi on a hard pull with my 24lb injectors. So this isn't a great pump and needs to be changed anyways. Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself??? LOL

I think I'm going to just go through with it. I mean I've already invested more in the truck than it's worth.. Way more.. I also plan to build another engine in a few years that will need the larger pump.. Might as well do it all now rather than later if I can.