Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oklahoma Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum92/)
-   -   This might be an official BS thread - Beethoven's 9th played out on the plaza (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1173468-this-might-be-an-official-bs-thread-beethovens-9th-played-out-on-the-plaza.html)

ctubutis 07-05-2012 03:56 PM

This might be an official BS thread - Beethoven's 9th played out on the plaza

It's at least a non-truck-, non-Oklahoma-related thread. ;)

Already showed Gary this... I came across a YouTube video that sooooooo reminds me of street performers in Europe....

Som Sabadell flashmob - YouTube

Beethoven's 9th Symphony is the basis for the European Union's National Anthem, must feel pretty patriotic for those in Spain to hear this out on some city-center plaza.

Rogue_Wulff 07-05-2012 04:10 PM

Pretty cool. That must have been rather difficult to organized and setup, while keeping it secret from the public. Had it been anything less than secret, you can bet there would have been a MUCH larger crowd prior to the start. You know the performers had to have practiced together a few times, for it to sound that good.

ctubutis 07-05-2012 04:30 PM

I personally think the music is dubbed over because it sounds just too good for an outdoor performance....

- We could never hear coins being dropped into a hat like that
- At around 4:11, the music doesn't quite match up with the conductor raising his hands
- You don't see any microphones on any of the performers

Compare to a Random Act of Culture at the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia:

Opera Company of Philadelphia "Toreador" Random Act of Culture - Jan 8, 2011 - YouTube

Or another at Geno's in Philadelphia:

Opera Company of Philadelphia Geno's Steaks Random Act of Culture - April 28, 2012 - YouTube

Nevertheless, this is still one of the best feel-good performances I've seen (audience reactions like that can't easily be staged) accentuated by having seen street performers in Europe, and a 5-piece orchestra in the subway tunnels of Moscow where the echoes and acoustics were just awesome for such a performance.

I'm real tempted to post this thing in Spain in 80-86 just as a random act. :)

Rogue_Wulff 07-05-2012 06:43 PM

Oddly enough, Tulsa Opera does stuff like this. They'll get several singers to go into a eating establishment at lunchtime, and then they will stand up sometime during their meal, and break out into a performance. No one ever knows when/where they'll show up, aside from the performers themselves. They also blend in with the crowd, right up until they all stand up and start singing. When they finish, they simply sit back down, and finish their meal. While the crowd claps.......
They may do it 2-3 times within a week, then skip a few weeks, or 2-3 times a week for several weeks.

ctubutis 07-05-2012 08:40 PM

The Colorado Symphony will be at Red Rocks Amphitheater this coming Sunday, they're doing John Williams music from various movies & TV.

Wish I had money for such stuff.

European cities are really good for this kind of stuff in that they have large, traffic-free plazas with all kinds of room and people. The US generally has cars everywhere.

Denver has the 16th street mall, a former street that's been turned into a pedestrian mall, it's about as close as we've got to something like that.

The People's Republic of Boulder has large places, though, but that's Boulder, a sort-of California-like city....

cigarxtc 07-06-2012 09:19 AM

Is this a music only bs thread, or can we add anything to it?

ctubutis 07-06-2012 09:46 AM

I would say we can add anything we want....

Rogue_Wulff 07-06-2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 12029666)
I would say we can add anything we want....

I second that. The title actually has "Official BS" in it, so that's close enough for me. Then again, I have never been the greatest at strictly following rules......

Gary Lewis 07-07-2012 07:01 AM

I think this is a bunch of BS!

But, I did like the "flash" mob music, whether it was dubbed or not. It did remind me of our two years in the UK and many travels on the Continent. I've never seen anything as big as that, but the street performers, artists, and mimes are standard fare over there - and much appreciated.

As I told Chris, there was a saxophonist that played in one of the London Underground stations, and with the tile-lined tunnels they have the music was everywhere. In Munich we saw a jazz band that was really good. In London's Covent Garden it is normal for mimes and others to perform. IOW, lots of that goes on and we have really enjoyed it on our trips.

cigarxtc 07-07-2012 09:23 PM

When will the heat go away?.... :'( This morning was nice and such a tease as my wife and i drove out to Fort Smith. Then we get back and the sun, humidity, and oppresive heat was back. Stick a fork in me--i'm done with summer. gimme some fall temps and cool breezes. We picked up a new to me 2001 Suzuki Marauder from a Harley dealership out there. It's my first bike. :D I just got my training and endorsement last summer. Now i just need to tag and insure it and i'm on my way to lower cost daily driving. :D

Gary Lewis 07-08-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by cigarxtc (Post 12034648)
When will the heat go away?.... :'( This morning was nice and such a tease as my wife and i drove out to Fort Smith. Then we get back and the sun, humidity, and oppresive heat was back. Stick a fork in me--i'm done with summer. gimme some fall temps and cool breezes. We picked up a new to me 2001 Suzuki Marauder from a Harley dealership out there. It's my first bike. :D I just got my training and endorsement last summer. Now i just need to tag and insure it and i'm on my way to lower cost daily driving. :D

Well, this week is supposed to be less bad. Not "better", but "less bad". Must be why we are leaving town for two weeks.

As for the bike, you should go read the thread on the '80-'86 forum where a few of us discussed our biking experiences. Chris and RW/Paul have eye-opening ones, especially Chris.

ctubutis 07-08-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 12035580)
Well, this week is supposed to be less bad. Not "better", but "less bad". Must be why we are leaving town for two weeks.

As for the bike, you should go read the thread on the '80-'86 forum where a few of us discussed our biking experiences. Chris and RW/Paul have eye-opening ones, especially Chris.

The discussion is a severe deviation from the OP's topic, but, it happens. ;)

Cigar - might pick it up here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12027650

As for the weather here, it's now 63° and about 83% humidity, been raining in the afternoon/evenings the past few days.

Gary Lewis 07-08-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 12035988)
The discussion is a severe deviation from the OP's topic, but, it happens. ;)

Cigar - might pick it up here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12027650

As for the weather here, it's now 63° and about 83% humidity, been raining in the afternoon/evenings the past few days.

Tnx - couldn't get to that easily from the iPhone. As for a severe deviation, while that is true the OP had just sold his bike so the discussion was in a way relevant.

Rogue_Wulff 07-08-2012 03:05 PM

Of course the thread got deviated. What else could come from the group of mentally deviated folks that hang out here?

ctubutis 07-09-2012 11:48 AM

What is it with tile-lined tunnels & music

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 12032490)
As I told Chris, there was a saxophonist that played in one of the London Underground stations, and with the tile-lined tunnels they have the music was everywhere.

Yep! The tile-lined tunnels make for EXCELLENT acoustics!

Came across this in the Moscow subway tunnels, sounded REALLY good: