Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   2007 Expedition Fuel Pump Driver Control Module (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1171069-2007-expedition-fuel-pump-driver-control-module.html)

Tim51 06-24-2012 01:40 PM

2007 Expedition Fuel Pump Driver Control Module

On Saturday, the car wouldn't start. It ran fine the day before, but when we went to drive it, all it would do is just turn over and not fire up. The battery is new so that isn't the issue. I checked the fuel relay and fuel pump fuse, both are good. I checked the pressure in the fuel rail by pressing the schrader valve with the key in run position and with the engine cranking. No fuel came out.

I'm trying to locate the fuel pump driver control module to see if it is the reason the car won't start. Where is this part located? I've lowered the spare tire and looked all around, but can't seem to find it. From looking online, it seems this part can get corroded and fail, but all of the info online is for older expeditions and F150's.

According to Ford parts, my car's VIN does have this part, I just can seem to find it.

Thanks for the help,
Tim

RI-Matt 06-24-2012 06:03 PM

It's part of the fuel pump assembly in the tank. :(

Matt

Tim51 06-24-2012 06:46 PM

Thanks Matt. I was hoping it was a simple plug and play fix. I guess not.

D-Rock 06-25-2012 05:58 PM

I have a $1 that says you are at a 1/4 of a tank of gas or less. If so, it's not the FPDM....it is the fuel pump.

Ford has a crappy design on them and they short and burn up, but the short doesn't get exposed until the tank gets to 1/4 or lower, at which point the electrical connectors on the pump are exposed and no longer insulated by the gas (most people don't know gasoline is an insulator, not a conductor, of electricity) and the pump shorts out and burns up. It was about $800 ish for the dealer to do for me. 5k miles out of powertrain warranty - still pisses me off. My dealer is very customer centric - they told me they have replaced over 100 on the 07+ Expys.

D-Rock 06-25-2012 06:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
completely melted

Attachment 201789

Attachment 201790

Attachment 201791

Tim51 06-25-2012 06:06 PM

D-rock,
You are right. The car was just below 1/4 tank when this happened. Fortunately, I made it home and found out about it next morning when trying to start the car. The car is now at the shop awaiting repair.

Thanks for the post.
Tim

pricewj1 09-17-2012 11:34 PM

fuel pump

I'm having the same problem with my 2007 expedition. Here is my ?. How do we make ford take responsibility for thier faulty fuel system?

RRANDAL 09-21-2012 09:07 AM

I've got 2007 Expy EL and mine went out with less than a qtr of a tank. I did the job myself. Found pump for $250 and went to Auto craft shop on Fort Belvoir, put the truck up on the lift, dropped fuel tank and switched them out. Not too hard of a job....

clossman 09-22-2012 01:26 PM

Just replaced my Pump

Ok, same thing for me, 1/4 tank of gas and it died. Received the replacment pump this AM. Replaced it as per posted instructions. Put Gas back in it and it started right up . When I went to drive it the check engine light came on and and the wrench warning light. It seems to be missing. I drove it to the gas station and filled it 1/2 way. Turned it off and on several time. Local guys says its the Fuel Pump Driver Module. I went to the ford dealer they looked up my VIN and said I have one mounted under the spare or on the frame. I can't find it. Not sure why they would list it as a part if the module is in the tank. Any idea's?:-huh

slc10844 09-22-2012 03:07 PM

I have seen them mounted in two different locations. The 04, 05 and maybe the 06 were mounted on the outside of the frame rail behind the left rear tire. The 06 (maybe) and up to around 08 were mounted on the left inside of the frame rail in front of the spare tire. Don't know if that still holds true for the newer ones. I think Ford moved to the inside because the module would corrode from road salt and such. Moving it to the inside helped but the problem still existed. The module is is about 4"s square.

choogenboom 10-11-2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by slc10844 (Post 12297834)
I have seen them mounted in two different locations. The 04, 05 and maybe the 06 were mounted on the outside of the frame rail behind the left rear tire. The 06 (maybe) and up to around 08 were mounted on the left inside of the frame rail in front of the spare tire. Don't know if that still holds true for the newer ones. I think Ford moved to the inside because the module would corrode from road salt and such. Moving it to the inside helped but the problem still existed. The module is is about 4"s square.

I just pulled the tank from my 2007 expedition today. The fuel pump driver module is in neither location you mention above and its also NOT in the fuel tank. Unfortunately I can't tell you where it is since I have not found it yet but guessing you'll find it inside or under the hood but in any case well away from the road. The chassis frame is beyond stupid as a place to mount an electronic module. My pump failed with the melted connector, same as D-Rock. I am having a class action attorney take a look at it to see if it has merit. Ford should have recalled this by now.

slc10844 10-12-2012 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by choogenboom (Post 12363355)
I just pulled the tank from my 2007 expedition today. The fuel pump driver module is in neither location you mention above and its also NOT in the fuel tank. Unfortunately I can't tell you where it is since I have not found it yet but guessing you'll find it inside or under the hood but in any case well away from the road. The chassis frame is beyond stupid as a place to mount an electronic module. My pump failed with the melted connector, same as D-Rock. I am having a class action attorney take a look at it to see if it has merit. Ford should have recalled this by now.

The fleet garage I worked at included 2003-2008 Ford Expeditions. Whenever a module had to be replaced on an Expedition it was either located on the outside of the frame rail behind the left rear tire or inside the frame rail to the left of the spare tire. The location of the module is an issue I have no control over. If Ford moved, or removed, the module I was unaware of the change and apologize for my ignorance and posting erroneous information. At no time did I suggest the module was in the fuel tank. I am truly sorry if what I posted has put you through any unnecessary stress and anxiety looking for something that wasn't there. I assure you it won't happen again.

RI-Matt 10-12-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by slc10844 (Post 12366701)
The fleet garage I worked at included 2003-2008 Ford Expeditions. Whenever a module had to be replaced on an Expedition it was either located on the outside of the frame rail behind the left rear tire or inside the frame rail to the left of the spare tire. The location of the module is an issue I have no control over. If Ford moved, or removed, the module I was unaware of the change and apologize for my ignorance and posting erroneous information. At no time did I suggest the module was in the fuel tank. I am truly sorry if what I posted has put you through any unnecessary stress and anxiety looking for something that wasn't there. I assure you it won't happen again.

slc10844, I was the one that said it was in the tank because I was told it was part of the fuel pump assembly starting in 07 and not an external piece.

Matt

graypatrick093 10-19-2012 09:39 AM

Same issue but have about 3/4 tank of fuel

I checked the fuses and they were good but based on this thread it seems that the Fuel Pump Driver Module may have gone out since I have 3/4 of tank? My Expo has 85K miles on it, just curious if the pump would only really go bad if it's below 1/4 tank...

dgruhlke 12-25-2012 10:28 AM

Anyone find their fuel pump driver module?

I have a 2007 Expy EL and am looking for my FPDM as well. I have a ground short issue with the truck that is killing the battery. I replaced the battery and it goes about 4 days before it dies. Wondering about FPDM because I have had some funky gas gauge readings where the truck showed empty when I knew there was at least 1/4 tank, and after a few restarts it came back to the right level. Also at some times at idle the engine has been choppy where the truck surges with each RPM. Would a failed FPDM cause the parasitic drain on my battery? I went through each fuse under the hood and inside and pulled 1 by 1, but the load on the battery never stopped.