Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   F250 tailgate (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1171015-f250-tailgate.html)

caddy 06-24-2012 08:51 AM

F250 tailgate

Anyone know how much would it cost to replace a tailgate on a 2009 KR. Mine was stolen this week. The tailgate had the backup camera.

edjunior 06-24-2012 09:02 AM

Check CraigsList. Here's at least one I found in Houston.

Ford F250 superduty tailgate

Where in Houston are you? Just so I know where to be more careful...just in case.

kd0axs 06-24-2012 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by edjunior (Post 11987894)
Check CraigsList. Here's at least one I found in Houston.

Ford F250 superduty tailgate

Where in Houston are you? Just so I know where to be more careful...just in case.

I'd be checking Craigslist for someone selling the stolen one. There have been quite a few cases up here in my area where people found there stolen stuff on CL, called the cops, and the people got busted.

You could try www.car-part.com to see if any junkyards in your area have them, I found one near me for $600. Then also figure on having it painted unless you are lucky and find one that's the same color as your truck.

Assuming you have full coverage, how much is your deductible? Might be better off just making a claim

caddy 06-24-2012 01:37 PM

How much would it cost to have lock rekeyed to match ignition?

DarrellinCeres 06-25-2012 11:12 AM

When you put it back

You can do like I did.I assume the newer ones still slip in like the older ones. I have a 99SD

It's a liitle bit more of a PIA to put it in but I removed the hinge took the plastic cup and turned it around so the slot was blocked. Bolted the hinge and tailgate in together so it can't be lifted out. I never could understand why they made them so easy to remove.
For added support I used a hose clamp around the hinge tightned from under the truck. Now it takes removing the hinge to removethe tailgate.

jdadamsjr 06-25-2012 01:17 PM

I opted for this on mine:
Amazon.com: McGard 76029 Tailgate Lock: Automotive

keeps the honest people out and makes it a bit harder on the crooks !

caddy 06-28-2012 07:11 PM

Does anyone know if you can add a factory camera to a tailgate that did not come with that option from the factory. Reason is I found a tailgate for sale that does not have the rear camera option but it's the same color so no painting would have to be done.

edjunior 06-28-2012 07:17 PM

I don't know if the cutout is the same or not. I am kinda curious though, isn't your insurance paying for this? I would think they would.

caddy 06-28-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by edjunior (Post 12004563)
I don't know if the cutout is the same or not. I am kinda curious though, isn't your insurance paying for this? I would think they would.

Took truck to insurance for repair quote. Their estimate is about 1k short of what my dealer quoted. Insurance was going to install used part just paint to match. Was trying to see if I could do it myself and try and not take the deductible hit. I know some shops would not charge you the deductible so they could get your business also. Would like to find one that would have that arrangement.

jdadamsjr 06-29-2012 06:56 AM

I'm pretty sure it's the same - just swap the handle/camera with the other...

now if you are talking the step and handle - NOT the same tailgate IIRC...