Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Which 5-Star tunes do you guys like the best (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1170467-which-5-star-tunes-do-you-guys-like-the-best.html)

Jettix2 06-21-2012 03:46 PM

Which 5-Star tunes do you guys like the best

Hey guys, I am planning on getting an SCT tuner loaded with 3 tunes from Mike from 5-star, and just wondered which tunes you guys like the best?

I run the truck empty about 90% of the time.

I tow with it about 3,000 miles a year, loaded with 10k pounds of camper in tow.

I was thinking:

87 Octane Econ
87 Octane Performance <----which I'll normally use
91 or 93 Octane Performance <---which I'll use when towing

Just wondering if I should do the 91 or 93 (ie, can't always find 93) and which choice you guys use around town?

The early-upshift trans bugs the heck outta me, as well as the lack of true WOT until 4k rpms....

Thanks!

Byram 06-22-2012 08:57 AM

I use the 87 Perf/tow most the time... I like the 93 although a while back the premium was just toooooo dang expensive.... Also out in west Texas where I work some they only have up to 91 no 93...

In town mile mileage gets worse with the 93 - but that is the operators fault.... }>

kmonty2 06-24-2012 10:22 AM

I have the economy, tow, and performance. I normally use the economy tune to get better MPG's. With the other 2 the mileage will drop about 1.5 mpg. I use the tow tune when ever I do tow. Only takes about 5 min to change the tunes. The performance is fun but will eat through your wallet in a hurry, you just can't help using all the power. I got all 87 octane tunes, don't see it worth the extra money for the premium gas, or I just don't want to pay for it.

Jettix2 06-24-2012 08:17 PM

Thanks guys for the input!!

Beechkid 06-25-2012 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jettix2 (Post 11978729)
Hey guys, I am planning on getting an SCT tuner loaded with 3 tunes from Mike from 5-star, and just wondered which tunes you guys like the best?

I run the truck empty about 90% of the time.

I tow with it about 3,000 miles a year, loaded with 10k pounds of camper in tow.

I was thinking:

87 Octane Econ
87 Octane Performance <----which I'll normally use
91 or 93 Octane Performance <---which I'll use when towing

Just wondering if I should do the 91 or 93 (ie, can't always find 93) and which choice you guys use around town?

The early-upshift trans bugs the heck outta me, as well as the lack of true WOT until 4k rpms....

Thanks!

I don't, I prefer HP Tuners.

SlickYamaha 06-27-2012 11:29 AM

Mike hooked me up with the SCT X3 loaded with:
87 Economy
87 Performance/Towing
93? Performance (I will most likely never use)

He also infomed that I could run 89 in the 87 tunes with out any problems. I may try that out soon. I have only had for about 2 weeks, and not gone through a single tank that was "normal" driving yet, so no real life performance changes to report. However, I can say the 87 eco to 87 performance is night and day. The eco feels like normal driving, the performance feels like driving a small SUV. I have not WOT yet, but just normal take offs are so much smoother and easier. Before it felt like I was always pulling a 10,000 trailer when taking off from a light, even had 18wheelers pull on me sometimes (im a light foot) but now it just smoothly pulls off like its being pushed. I must say that is one of the greatest improvements for me.
As far as towing goes, I pulled a 3,000 pop up this weekend. got about 12mpg on the highway on the way down in the performance tune, then dropped the trailer and loaded the eco tune and got about 15mpg back. (via the lie-o-meter)

2011 F250 6.2 CC SB 3.73gearing 34" tires, no other performance upgrades.