Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Transmisson Flush - Heated? or Not? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1168395-transmisson-flush-heated-or-not.html)

beachhboyy 06-12-2012 10:58 AM

Transmisson Flush - Heated? or Not?

Trying to keep up on my maintence and recently rolled over 60,000 miles.
I have read before that the truck requires a heated transmission flush in order to be done right, but that also can be depending on if the filter is inside the transmission or on the outside.
The truck is an 2008 F-250 but I'm not sure if it's a Job 1 or what filter it has.

I called my local dealer, Brighton Ford in Michigan, and the service mananger told me a heated flush is not required on that truck and just a normal transmission flush would cost me $209.
I'm not sure if I should just have that done or continue to call around to other dealers until I find one that will do a heated for a resonable price?

What do you guys recommend me doing? Or what does the truck require?
Any help or comments would be greatly appreacited. Thanks!

ATX F250 06-12-2012 11:42 AM

I have heard that transmission flushes are not good for them anyway. I was always told to just change the fluid and be done with it, but that was on non F250 transmissions, so maybe its different. Hopefully somebody that knows something will chime in...Im ready to learn something.

ljutic ss 06-12-2012 12:03 PM

The dealer is telling you that because he doesn't have a hot flush machine. If you don't hot flush your never going to replace the old fluid in the torque converter. You mind as well drop the pan yourself and change the filter providing it is a internal build and replace the 8-10 quarts. I just had a hot flush done at my Ford dealer about 6 weeks ago. $180 minus filter.

RM2738 06-12-2012 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ATX F250 (Post 11943893)
I have heard that transmission flushes are not good for them anyway. I was always told to just change the fluid and be done with it, but that was on non F250 transmissions, so maybe its different. Hopefully somebody that knows something will chime in...Im ready to learn something.

I heard that somewhere as well. I flushed my 99 7.3 and had to have the tranny rebuilt a week later. Probably not related, but one heck of a coincidence. And why heated?

R-T0r21on 06-13-2012 06:05 AM

if you are going to have it flushed, then it should be heated. Ford recommends just the drain, filter replaced, and refill as long as it is just a routine service.

ljutic ss 06-13-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by RM2738 (Post 11946252)
I heard that somewhere as well. I flushed my 99 7.3 and had to have the tranny rebuilt a week later. Probably not related, but one heck of a coincidence. And why heated?

Without the heat you will never exchange all the old fluid. There is a thermostat located in the valve body which opens around 160 degrees.

craftsmangary 06-17-2012 11:59 PM

I have looked for a "heated machine" and even google search, I can't find any manufactures that even make such a machine, the only thing that I found is is a heated flusher that is meant to flush transmission coolers, for trans shops to use when a transmission failed. If anybody can find a manfacture that offers one post it up I'd like to see it. I looked in AllData and Mitchell in the lated model Ford section and they doesn't say anything about "heated" flush. I have a T-Tech 500 flush machine and used it on many Fords, if the trans is hot and fluid is flowing through the cooler you will get about 6-10 quarts exchanged then it will stop flowing untill it get hot again then you can get the rest of the fluid to exchange.
So the solution to the problen that I see is to remove the bypass, find the
correct fittings to connect the flush machine directly to the cooler ports on the transmission case, do the flush, then put the bypass back on. Thats the best way I can think of to do it, IDK???

thatsme 06-18-2012 08:44 AM

Just did mine at 31,000 mi. Dropped pan & changed filter, added 9qts. Very easy to do. Will continue every 30,000 mi. Do this on all my vehicles works great.

AGE mechanic 06-18-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by craftsmangary (Post 11964410)
I have looked for a "heated machine" and even google search, I can't find any manufactures that even make such a machine, the only thing that I found is is a heated flusher that is meant to flush transmission coolers, for trans shops to use when a transmission failed. If anybody can find a manfacture that offers one post it up I'd like to see it. I looked in AllData and Mitchell in the lated model Ford section and they doesn't say anything about "heated" flush. I have a T-Tech 500 flush machine and used it on many Fords, if the trans is hot and fluid is flowing through the cooler you will get about 6-10 quarts exchanged then it will stop flowing untill it get hot again then you can get the rest of the fluid to exchange.
So the solution to the problen that I see is to remove the bypass, find the
correct fittings to connect the flush machine directly to the cooler ports on the transmission case, do the flush, then put the bypass back on. Thats the best way I can think of to do it, IDK???

HotFlush - Transmission Cooler Flusher

craftsmangary 06-18-2012 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by AGE mechanic (Post 11965312)

That's a cooler flusher, that is not going to exchange the oil in your transmission.