Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Edge insight CTS q and a (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1167770-edge-insight-cts-q-and-a.html)

mrjc 06-09-2012 05:43 PM

Edge insight CTS q and a

Yo Men, Going to spring for a color edge unit to monitor a few more engine stats. You guys that have them, a few questions:

Can you add PIDs for some parameters that are not in there or you get what the computer will offer up and if yes, where can u find them. Didnt see anything in a search.

The regens, can you talk about these at length and how do you utilize the info, what screens do you keep up. And can you really initiate a manual regen on a non chasis cab? That would be cool if you could.

The EGTs. Can you see all of them? Do you know which ones to watch when pulling up a grade?

Tell me which ones (of the monitored values) you like to keep on and why. I guess since trans temp and coolant temp are displayed on my dash LCD I would use the edge for others.

I really want to see what is happening with Nox and soot levels and regen activity. I dont get on the hi-way much and per some here on the site, I have the same thing happen to me....exhaust cleaning message comes on as I am pulling into driveway, always!!! Can you see how efficient the cleaning cycles are as far as soot?

Can you monitor both cooling system temps at the same time? Anything else really cool and geekish would be welcome.

What alerts do you have set up and what values do you use to set them off? (i think 1100 for EGT is where I would feel good getting an alert)

Thanks Gents. Mike

mrjc 06-09-2012 10:48 PM

I found the user manual at Edge website and looked it over and answered some of my questions. 25 dollar rebate coupon there good till july. I suppose the 3 EGT sensors, even number one closest to the engine, would give a cooler reading than right at the manifold. I wonder what temp the PCM starts to defuel, that is probably a good value to set an alrm. Anyone know what that value may be? Cheezit?

dankmartin 06-11-2012 01:49 PM

I installed an Edge CTS this weekend and found 4 EGT sensors (2012 F250). I've tried several of the PIDs offered in the computer and look forward to seeing any additional information on Regens. There is a Time since Regen, I believe. I also picked up a temp sensor in the Regen area to show when the truck begins to clean out the soot. I've only seen one meassage telling me it's going into regen in the 8 months I've owned the truck. Thanks for the post and all the help drivers provide through this website.

jlalanas 06-11-2012 02:13 PM

I've had the insight for about 4 months, although I only use a fraction of the features, it is a pretty cool device. When I purchased it, I was under the impression that you could kick off a manual regen on a non cab & chassis, but I was incorrect, you cannot. You can monitor the regen process and track your average distance between regenerations. I should note that this only tracks a "complete" regen.

mrjc 06-11-2012 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will investigate all my questions once I have unit in hand and put it work. I'll post findings for anyone interested in watching thier engine perform.

kper05 06-11-2012 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by dankmartin (Post 11940168)
I installed an Edge CTS this weekend and found 4 EGT sensors (2012 F250). I've tried several of the PIDs offered in the computer and look forward to seeing any additional information on Regens. There is a Time since Regen, I believe. I also picked up a temp sensor in the Regen area to show when the truck begins to clean out the soot. I've only seen one meassage telling me it's going into regen in the 8 months I've owned the truck. Thanks for the post and all the help drivers provide through this website.

EGT1 is post turbo (but after the downpipe), EGT2 is pre-DOC, EGT3 is post-DOC and EGT4 is post-DPF.
EGT4 will reach 1,100-1,200 during an AR.
The highest I've ever seen my EGT1 is 906 F pulling a grade.

For an AR (active regen) you'll see a red circle light at the top of the screen.
If you look close when the device is on, you'll see the R in the clear circle when not in AR.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=77145

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=78308

Painted Horse 06-12-2012 10:40 AM

The Avg Regen and Distance from last regen are not moving numbers, You only see what the computer saw when you started the truck. They don't update as you drive.

There are some 40 PIDs that you can chose from. Most are not of any value to a person driving. You just can't pay enough attention to some value that change by the second.

I personally monitor the ECT, EGT1, EGT4, Voltage

jlalanas 06-12-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 11943712)
The Avg Regen and Distance from last regen are not moving numbers, You only see what the computer saw when you started the truck. They don't update as you drive.

There are some 40 PIDs that you can chose from. Most are not of any value to a person driving. You just can't pay enough attention to some value that change by the second.

I personally monitor the ECT, EGT1, EGT4, Voltage

I wondered about that, but never actually looked into it. I assumed the insight calc'd that # based on the data it collected from being installed in the vehicle. The average distance only seems to update when the truck completes a full regen-cycle and doesn't count the ones that are stopped because the truck was put in park or shut off.

Specularius 06-15-2012 01:41 PM

Got my CTS today. Found out you can set the background image to an image of your own. Here is a picture of mine:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...-30-40_284.jpg

By observing the data on the CTS, I find that the speedometer in the dash, that I had found to be off in relation to a GPS, is off from the data of the CTS, but the CTS is accurate to the GPS. You can also adjust for different tire sizes.

Does anyone know at what point a regen is initiated from looking at the DPFSoot GPL reading?

Hdslider 06-15-2012 02:27 PM

Usually around 2.67

Specularius 06-15-2012 02:29 PM

Thank you for the info.

kper05 06-15-2012 07:14 PM

2.66 is the trigger but it usually jumps to 2.67 fairly quickly.
Takes around 15 seconds for the light to appear on the CTS.
Then it's another 30 seconds when the dash reports cleaning exhaust filter.

With stock tires, the truck computer knows the correct speed (very close to a consumer grade GPS).
The speedometer is faster as you said.
If you put your truck into engineering mode, you'll see the correct speed (which is what the CTS is reading).

mrjc 06-16-2012 12:00 AM

Received my CTS and started scrolling through PIDS to find the ones I wanted to monitor. With 8 gauges up, I wish I could change the font size for better viz. So I have the analogs up. Been watching the soot %. Started out 1.74. It goes up and down. Up to 1.94. Watching for the number a regen kicks in (2.65 from what I see here). Really curious to see how long it takes. Kper, can you watch the soot numbers go down as it burns it off? Have ECT, Soot, EGR 1 and 4 and IAT up. Since oil and tranny are digital on the UI (user interface). Was thinking of Volts too, not sure if IAT is good one. The unit is solidly built. I think it looks fine in the left lower corner of the windshield, no pod needed. I loaded up fusion and it found an update. Need to find a background now. Back pressure might be fun to watch. What is load? is that engine load in a percentage of avail torque?

bnmccoy 06-16-2012 08:23 AM

My 04 & 06 the speedometer always read fast but with scan tool or dash in diagnostic mode speed matched GPS; my 08 speedometer was dead on. My 11 is same as others are observing.

Most of the regen indicator lamp events on my CTS have been followed by the dash message 30-45 seconds later; but, one came on withing 1-2 seconds. I was eagle eyeing the CTS and as soon as it came on I pushed reset on my 'trip b' and the darn message popped up.

There is also a PID that indicates 'on' or 'off'' for regen status. I had it selected and at the end of the regen it was going from 'on' to 'off' several times yet the the little red lamp just stayed on.

The built in alarm seems pretty lame to me with respect to tone and audio level; my hearing isn't great, but initially I didn't even think it was working as I didn't hear it over my listening to Fox News.

I had one regen start just before I got on Interstate which had nice chance to complete at 70 MPH and it quit after about 4 minutes with soot just below 1.9; and I think with residual DPF heat it ended up around 1.6. Just know it did not perform like others I had observed.

Yesterday, truck goes in regen (which I was anticipating thanks to CTS info) right before I was fixing to get on highway. I needed fuel and pull into a Murphy USA station. The EGT4 is +1100 so I throw it in Park and leave it idling. Regen lamp on CTS stays 'on'. Dump my fuel additive in tank, swipe card, and see there is a 'may contain up to 10% bio diesel' label on pump. Cancel transaction, get in truck and the CTS regen lamp is still on the 2-3 minutes I was stopped. I head 4 miles to the Murphy USA I normally use; get about 1/2 mile down road and the CTS regen lamp goes out; soot just below 2.00 IIRC.

Checked with clerk at my normal Murphy USA and they said they were aware of bio at the other station but they do not yet have same. I sent Murphy an E-Mail a month or so ago asking them to confirm bio or not at my station and they said 'none' but they would label the pump if and when it had bio. I suppose it is coming; I don't want it; guess I need to find somewhere else for my regular purchase of fuel.

Most of my regens have been just under 10 minutes; one lasted 14 minutes. Before I bought the CTS I would have said I have about 1 regen per tank of fuel or 400 miles. Now I know I am having them between 100 - 180 miles.

I know with my 08 they were once a tank; they lasted longer; and I think the MPG hit was harder.

My soot is at 2.57 right now; so I know I will soon want a destination that will facilitate a better 'exhaust DPF cleaning.'

I am with the comments about the font size; I am using the analog for same reason. I have the soot in the lower middle analog gauge; it looks like the scaling is 100 so a waste for a value that is going between 1.nn to 3.00 (well maybe higher is something is real wrong). Plus since the alarm that I can't hear is in units of 1 between 1-100 it doesn't work too well with this PID either:-X15

All else considered; the Edge Insight CTS is very useful.

Bob

Hdslider 06-16-2012 09:17 AM

Before the nox update. mine would start regen at about 2.65 and end almost consistently at .67 now it starts at the same value,but is ending alot sooner at about 1.35 same driving. but it fluxuates up and down before a regen now. so not really sure what thats all about.i woulda like to see it burn off more soot. and these are highway values no interuptions.