Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   wiper help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1167104-wiper-help.html)

azertuche 06-06-2012 11:45 AM

wiper help

Hello,
I have a 1959 Ford F100 with a wiper transmission issue. Everything is in good order except the nylon bushings on the arms of the transmission. There is just some wobble where they fit on the motor clevis, which should be expected after 50 yrs. Any ideas, help on changing them out before I'm forced to make an upgrade on wiper? I don't see any way of getting them out without busting them all up?
Thanks,
Al

spurredon 06-06-2012 03:59 PM

Welcome to FTE. A pic of exactly what you are talking about might get you more responses. The wipers will all come apart with a little patience.

theodore/teddy 06-06-2012 07:31 PM

Al; Welcome to the orphanage! Your timing on this question is good, as I was cleaning my wiper assembly up today in preparation for reinstallation. I was looking at the pivot points and decided they were in good condition. However the cam on my drive output shaft is worn to the point that I may not be able to adjust the park feature(looks like the adjustment was maxed). Maybe one our buddies here will have the source of parts for both our wiper problems
Now to answer your question, I think if you would go to a hobby store you could purchase some small bushing/tubing and sleeve your nylon pivots.
Just a thought!
I would be interested in your remedy to this problem.

azertuche 06-08-2012 03:05 PM

Thanks for both replies. I will work on pics. Not sure if I am able to post attachments. Also, Wally I had thought about some type of nylon sleeves and washers. Just because the orginal are a one piece bushing I don't think they have to go back in that way. Have to find the right inside and outside diameters on the same sleeve.

NumberDummy 06-09-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by azertuche (Post 11921958)
I have a 1959 Ford F100 with a wiper transmission issue. Everything is in good order except the nylon bushings on the arms of the transmission. There is just some wobble where they fit on the motor clevis, which should be expected after 50 yrs. Any ideas, help on changing them out :-huh before I'm forced to make an upgrade on wiper?

I don't see any way of getting them out without busting them all up?l

Pictures? I don't need to see any, because I know exacty what the problem is.

Ford did not supply the bushings, were only available with the wiper transmission arms. The way they are installed, it's impossible to remove them without breaking them.

This is not only the case with 1957/60's, but with most other FoMoCo vehicles as well. :-arrgh

There is no EZ fix, if there's a fix at all, because...where will you find a bushing that will work?

The only choice you have, is the same choice people had back then. Replace the arms.

Are the wipers vacuum or electric? The arms are not the same!

theodore/teddy 06-09-2012 04:09 PM

Al,
[IMG]The only choice you have, is the same choice people had back then. Replace the arms.[/IMG]
Bill has a point, I'm not sure its your only choice! But if you would rather spend money and avoid the challenge of rebuilding your bushings.
You could search the net for part #s
B7Q-17540-A and
B7Q-17545-A.
These are the part numbers for the right and left arms of the electric wiper assembly. At about 25.00 each, thats only about a dollar a year for 50 year service life

NumberDummy 06-09-2012 11:07 PM

1957/60 F100/1100 Electric Wiper Transmission Arms

There are no prices listed on the Ford Dealer Parts Locator System any longer. Where Teddy came up with the $25.00 figure, I dunno.

Do not be surprised if the prices are higher, because obsolete parts prices can vary wildly from one source to another. If you don't like the first price you're quoted, try another source.

B7Q-17540-A .. Right Wiper Transmission Arm / Obsolete

KINSEL L/M in Beaumont TX has 1 = 800-816-2894.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has 1 = 800-543-4959.

YADKIN VALLEY MOTOR CO. in North Wilksboro NC has 1 = 336-838-4155.

NORTZ & VIRKLER FORD in Lowville NY has 1 = 315-376-3899.

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has 9 = 800-476-9653.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
B7Q-17545-A .. Left Wiper Transmission Arm / Obsolete

ANTIQUE AUTO SUPPLY in Arlington TX has 1 = 817-275-2381.

NORTZ & VIRKLER FORD has 1.

GREEN SALES CO. has 6.

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS has 9.

DON SANDERSON FORD in Glendale AZ has 18 = 623-842-8643.

2quickM100 06-10-2012 05:14 AM

Thanks Bill, I was just looking for that information, you saved me the hassle. much appreciated.

theodore/teddy 06-10-2012 09:53 AM

Yes it is unusual to see prices but sometimes they do.:-X22

Description: Seller: Miller Obsolete Parts View Profile
Price: $25.00 Phone: Show Phone Number
Quantity: 3 Email: Send Seller Email Inquiry
Condition: New / New Old Stock (NOS) Location: Binghamton, New York Map & Directions

Good luck in your quest.

azertuche 06-11-2012 07:46 AM

Thanks to everybody who responded. You have been a great help. And so the quest begins.

johnnyidaho 11-20-2014 12:56 PM

Vacuum assembly for 59 Ford F-100

I had originally posted in the wrong year truck so please bear with me.

I wish to remove the vacuum assembly on the firewall, see photo.

I removed the two slotted screws which held it to the firewall but the square stock which penetrates the fire wall and attaches to the arms doesn't appear to come off from inside the cab.

Does anyone have an exploded view or info on how to get this apart?

Many thanks in advance.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d26c8e5a88.jpg

GB SISSON 11-20-2014 07:24 PM

Wally, I would think anything related to wipers in Southern Nevada would look like NOS under the dash. How often do you need them ,once a year? :-X0A6

theodore/teddy 11-20-2014 09:27 PM

Wally, I would think anything related to wipers in Southern Nevada would look like NOS under the dash. How often do you need them ,once a year?
Gary.... I use my wipers for around 5 minutes, about a month after the rubber dry rots.:'( or so it seems!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...86dd65e856.jpg

Johnny It looks like it should come out after removing arms 17566 &17567, the hole in the fire wall is fairly good sized? (this is the best picture I could find right off) I have the electric wipers so I'm not familiar with the vacuum motor but it looks like with a little wiggling it should fit without removing the short arms from the motor shaft.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...bc8a8ad1f6.jpg

Let us know what you find out.

johnnyidaho 11-21-2014 09:05 AM

Vacuum assembly for 59 Ford F-100

Wally

Many thanks for the diagram, I can make that work.

Needless to say your firewall is in much better shape than my wife's but her truck belonged to her grandfather when he had the farm in Iowa and purchased it new. I just try to keep it going for her with my limited skills. Thanks again.

theodore/teddy 11-21-2014 02:05 PM

Thanks for the kind words Johnny!
From the looks of your wife's truck you have done her Grandfather proud!
I understand the upkeep these trucks require, I have owned and worked my truck since 1970.