Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum246/)
-   -   Tonneau Covers Pace Edwards-vs-Truck Covers USA, my take (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1166972-tonneau-covers-pace-edwards-vs-truck-covers-usa-my-take.html)

grende7581 06-05-2012 06:58 PM

Tonneau Covers Pace Edwards-vs-Truck Covers USA, my take

wrote this as an FYI to anybody considering getting a roll top tonneau cover.

I originally installed a Truck Covers USA when I bought my truck in '08 on a Super Duty SB. This truck cover is bullet proof. Extremely durable with a small canister and simple to install. Shimming the rails for final install was also easy. Has an unlocking handle that opens the tonneau without a key, provided the tailgate is open. This means with a locking tailgate, only the tailgate key is necessary for bed security. Essentially water proof, and drains well. Only during a hard rain did I spot some water around the edges. About 2 years ago I installed Thule track mounts on the rails. These rails can now be pre-installed from the factory.

PROS: Durable, unlocking handle, smaller canister, easier to install
CONS: More expensive, track rails only good for sporting racks

Truck Covers USA - Tonneau Truck and Bed Covers

I just installed a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jacket with the Explorer rails. It's little more difficult to install, but it's engineered well. The canister is a bit larger and the cover itself seems more flimsy. Have not had enough rain to validate water integrity. The reason I switch from TC USA to PE was the Explorer Rails. There's a light duty utility rack that can be installed with the Explorer rails. Although I expect the powder coating to be nicked away as I use the utility rack.

PROS: Less expensive, Explorer Rails fit both sport and contractor racks
CONS: Installation more in depth, Key required to unlock, Canister size.

Pace-Edwards Full-Metal JackRabbit Spring-Action Retractable Tonneau Cover

Neither unit will rust, as it's made with aluminum and powder coated paint.
I recommend two people to install the canister itself, otherwise a one man operation for both.

TruckDaddy 06-12-2012 11:41 AM

I thought I would mention a few more important differences.

The TCUSA slats are interconnected by metal. The metal interconnection makes the cover very strong. The PE cover slats are interconnected by a piece of rubber.

TCUSA requires 4 drain tubes, PE requires 2 drain tubes.

Another cover that's in the same league is the fairly new RetraxPro.

Cross sections of RetraxPro (left) and TCUSA (right).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...RetraxPro3.jpg

PE Full Metal Jack Rabbit
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...fmjr_cover.jpg

RetraxPro
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...traxPro2-1.jpg

grende7581 01-31-2013 10:54 PM

I was back East doing post Sandy recovery work. I learned that Pace Edwards cover is not nearly as water resistant as TCUSA. The little bit of water that leaked with TCUSA was forward of the canister and drained immediately. The leak with PE was along track that the cover slides in. The problem with leaks along the track, is water intrusion on cargo. Another plus for TCUSA, since the leak did not get my cargo wet. Do not have your water sensitive cargo below the tracks with a Pace Edwards.

Bob Landry 03-05-2013 10:10 AM

I just ordered the Retrax One for my truck. A buddy told me that Schlumberger has them on all of their company trucks and everybody really likes them. The covering is made of some high tech sounding stuff which is another word for Lexan. I've been in the marine industry for 15 years and have seen lexan stand up to some pretty harsh conditions, so I'm OK with it, especially for a $500 difference.

I loked at the others, but what impressed me about the Retrax is that it operates with one hand from the street side, can lock in any position on the rail, and doesn't require the use of a strap. We'll see how it works out.

TruckDaddy 03-05-2013 02:31 PM

Lexan is a type of plastic. It's has pretty good UV protection and the cover will last about 5 to 7 years or so if you have it in the sun a lot. After that, typically the Lexan cracks at the edge near the handle.

Lake Rat Jim 06-19-2013 01:14 AM

I have been trying to decide between three covers. The TCUSA, RetraxPro & Peragon. The biggest problem I have is I have yet to find a local dealer with one or more in stock so I can compare the features on each one. I am really liking the Retrax Pro series. My Father-in-law has had a Retrax One on his truck for many years and LOVES IT. He had to replace the sliding cover last year. The folks at Retrax were great to deal with and the price of the replacement cover was pretty good.

The only down side I see is the cost of the Retrax Pro. :( I see they are a forum sponsor. Does anyone know if they have some type of discount code for the forum? Law Enf?

Bob Landry 06-19-2013 06:42 AM

I'm very happy with my Retrax One. I liked the Pro, but couldn't justify the additional $$$. The advantage to this particular cover is that there is no strap that you have to fish around for to close it. It ws easy to install and it operates with one hand from the side of the truck. Given all of the choices out there, I would buy another one, and maybe even a Pro.

grende7581 06-20-2013 10:45 PM

Lake Rat, I see you're in Corona, if you ever get to San Diego the TCUSA shop is in Mira Mesa.
One correction I have to make about my original post is the powder coating is durable. I had the utility rack installed for about 2 months and the paint didn't chip or scratch on the explorer tracks.

Lake Rat Jim 06-21-2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by grende7581 (Post 13272795)
Lake Rat, I see you're in Corona, if you ever get to San Diego the TCUSA shop is in Mira Mesa.
One correction I have to make about my original post is the powder coating is durable. I had the utility rack installed for about 2 months and the paint didn't chip or scratch on the explorer tracks.

Good to know! Might be worth a trip down there before I pull the trigger on one of them. Reps sent yer way! ;)