Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   97 150 5 speed won't shift (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1166687-97-150-5-speed-wont-shift.html)

FSBARAK 06-04-2012 02:50 PM

97 150 5 speed won't shift

My daughter bought this truck about 6 months ago. This morning a driver cut her off, then hit his breaks. She had to make a panic stop. When she went to take off again, 1st and 2nd was no problem. When she shifted into 3rd, the engine just revved. She tried to shift back into 2nd, but it wouldn't go into 2nd. She pulled over and now it won't go into any gear. The shifter lever won't even go over far enough to go into 4th, 5th, or reverse. I doubt the panic stop had anything to with it, but thought I'd throw it out there, just because.

Okay here's the truck:
97 F150, 4x4, base model, short bed, 4.6L, 5 speed manual, manual transfer case, 190k miles. Truck has been beaten and abused badly, but is basically mechanically sound.

Here's what I've done so far. Checked the fluid, it was fine. Pulled the top cover and shifter lever out. I don't have a clue what I was looking for in there, but I hoped to see something obvious. I didn't.

Any ideas?

FSBARAK 06-13-2012 11:13 AM

Okay. I decided there ain't much I can do while the trans is in the truck. So I went to Tucson, got a trans jack and commenced to removing the trans. The transfer case has been a pain, but I think I have it out of the way for the moment.

The problem I'm having now is the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder. I bought the little tool to remove the line, but I must not be operating it correctly. Is there some little trick that I'm missing?

The last standard trans I pulled (20 years ago+/-), all the hydraulics were exterior and easily accessed. This thing is being a true pita.

85e150 06-13-2012 11:36 AM

You pulled the trans....

Read the links here. Maybe the shifter bushings were to blame.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...k-in-gear.html

FSBARAK 06-13-2012 11:42 AM

I haven't got the trans out yet. I can't get the clutch hydraulic line disconnected.

85e150 06-13-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by FSBARAK (Post 11947920)
I haven't got the trans out yet. I can't get the clutch hydraulic line disconnected.

Do yourself a favor and go through the links. Unless you can see broken parts in the trans, your shifting problems are probably the shifter bushings and shift forks. There are many pics in those links and the what to look for etc.

Grinding between gears, popping out of gear, bad noise etc would indicate synchro, shaft and bearing issues. Failure to shift is most likely the shifter & forks.

FSBARAK 06-13-2012 11:49 AM

Thanks for the links. Lots of good stuff there. Guess I'm going to be reading for a while.

FSBARAK 06-13-2012 07:32 PM

Yep. The middle shaft is poking out the front of the top cover, just like the one in the picture at the link. There are three rubber plugs on the back of the top cover that don't look so good either.
Found a shop in Tucson that has a kit with new plugs and some other parts for $35. Nobody in the area seems to have the shift forks in stock. I don't know if I need them, but might's well replace them while I've got it opened up.
Going to order this kit as well: M50D Ranger M5R1 F-150 M5R2 Shifter Repair Kit M50-SK

Any recommendations on other parts that might be looked at or replaced while I'm at it?

What brand/type of fluid do y'all recommend to refill this thing with? I bought gear oil, but apparently that's not used in standard trannys any more.:confused:

85e150 06-13-2012 11:52 PM

That trans uses ATF, Mercon or Dexron III.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...id-change.html

FSBARAK 06-14-2012 12:14 AM

Thank you for all the help.

By what type, I was wondering if there was a general preference between standard atf or synthetic.

I should have been a bit clearer in my wording. What I wanted to ask was clear in my head, but somehow it got muddled on it's way through the keyboard.:D

85e150 06-14-2012 01:43 PM

Search results indicate good luck with all types, even synthetic 10w-30 motor oil. Google "M5od fluid type" for thousands more.

FSBARAK 06-25-2012 11:40 AM

Okay, the parts all arrived last week, but I've been too busy to get to it until today.

When I took the first shift rail out, to replace the fork, there was a ball and spring on one end, but, on the other end, there was only a spring, no ball.

I drained the tranny to see if it was in the bottom, but no luck.

The question I have now is are the balls the same size?, are they just standard ball bearings?, and, if not, where can I get one to replace the missing one? I'd like to get a few of them actually just in case I drop one or three.

FSBARAK 06-25-2012 06:20 PM

Found the bearing at a trans shop in Wilcox.
Next question: How do the pins for the shifter handle come out? The two little ones that are located in the tower on the top cover. It looks like they should push out, but they appear to possibly be crimped in. Since the alum, is not real thick in that area, I don't want to do something stupid that might break the alum.

FSBARAK 06-27-2012 12:08 PM

Another question. I'm full of 'em. (well, full of something anyway, depends on whom you ask).
The end caps I bought don't seem to fit. The ones that came out of the top cover are nearly flat, but the ones I got look more like small freeze plugs. They also seem to be a slightly smaller diameter.

FSBARAK 06-27-2012 06:15 PM

Never mind. I think I got it whooped.

Thank y'all.